Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Limmy book [split topic]

Started by Malcy, January 30, 2019, 12:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1090310919786254336?s=19

He's on Twitch about it now. The books out on the 21st of Feb. Hadn't seen the release date until today.

Lost Oliver

Anyone know what I need to type in to get that sketch of his were he plays an angel? Can't find it anywhere.

Twed

Malcy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0008294666/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1548943706&sr=8-1

QuoteThe hysterical, shocking and incredibly intimate memoir from one of the most original and unique comedians alive today.

Hello! I'm Brian Limond, aka Limmy. You might know me from Limmy's Show. Or you might not know me at all. Don't worry if you don't.

They asked me to write a book about mental health, because I sometimes talk about my mental health in tweets and interviews, like suicidal thoughts and anxiety, and what I've done to try and deal with it.

I said to them, oh, I don't know if I could fill a whole book with just that. But how's about I write a general autobiography type of thing, and all the mental health stuff will naturally appear along the way? I could talk about growing up and slashing my wrist and taking acid all the time and getting done for car theft and feeling like a mad freak that would never amount to anything.

And then how I made my own sketch show. I directed it and everything. Plus I'm a dad. I'm an adult. But I still feel like that mad freak from years ago. I still feel like chucking it all away, for a laugh.

I asked them if they wanted me to write about all that, plus some other stuff. Like being an alky. And my sexual problems. Stuff like that.

They said aye.

So here it is.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Twed on January 31, 2019, 12:29:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYkIPAptUos

This one? I typed "limmy angel".

That's the one, but for some reason I cannae see it. Blocked the UK.

Twed

Quote from: Malcy on January 31, 2019, 02:09:14 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0008294666/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1548943706&sr=8-1
Thanks. Physical release is AUGUST in the US, so Kindle it will be. And I'll probably buy the hardcover too to support the bugger.

McFlymo

EEEEEEeeeeeeiiiissssh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WEImKndeGQ

"Twitch doesn't allow me to say certain things" ..... Flesh crawling right off my body!!

Malcy

Quote from: Twed on January 31, 2019, 05:03:18 PM
Thanks. Physical release is AUGUST in the US, so Kindle it will be. And I'll probably buy the hardcover too to support the bugger.

Can it not be delivered to the US from UK Amazon? That's a bummer.

I couldn't pay £10 for the Kindle edition knowing an actual physical copy is only 49p more expensive! I don't know whether to order this online or buy it at the book tour.

chveik

Quote from: McFlymo on January 31, 2019, 05:15:04 PM
EEEEEEeeeeeeiiiissssh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WEImKndeGQ

"Twitch doesn't allow me to say certain things" ..... Flesh crawling right off my body!!

bloody hell that was really disturbing

magval

Didn't enjoy that at all right until the last thirty seconds or so which more or less justified it.

Please do not link to any more of these terrible beauties!

bgmnts

His short stories on Twitch are marvellous.

There is one really short one he does about a blind man mistaking a strip club for a bank that had me a howling at a certain point.

Malcy

It's probably already gone to the printers but it would have been a laugh of he had used the Piers Morgan quote on the cover.

Malcy

He's doing a reading of some of the book and a Q&A tomorrow at 9pm on his webcam for those that didn't get your tickets.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

A friendly reminder that, as Malcy says, he'll be reading excerpts from his autobiography on Twitch from 9pm this evening.

Bennett Brauer

Enjoyed that, especially the anguished eyebrows after he found out he'd screwed the Twitter link up.

One of my top 5 worst hangovers was in Millport. Titting around on the crocodile rock at 2am and feeling worse than crap on the ferry back to Largs the next day. Needless to say, my wife had the last stony silence.

That was great.

I've read an advance copy of his autobiography, and it's as brutally frank as you'd expect. Whenever celebrities write books about their troubled lives, they're often undermined by a glibly philosophical "I made it through the rain, and you can too" narrative. There's none of that in Limmy's entirely unsentimental account of depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, alcoholism, drug abuse, criminality and sexual problems.

Malcy

Lost Oliver

The three stories were brilliant. Can't wait to read this. Honestly think that if anyone gave him a listen they'd get him. He's so honest.

Malcy

Apparently this is out in Waterstone's Glasgow & Dundee branches. He's on Twitch talking about it.

Blue Jam

Also in the Embra branch of Waterstones apparently.

Beagle 2

Started on the audiobook. It's making me a bit depressed so far.

Blue Jam

Just started the Kindle edition. I'm guessing "The Bollywig" is the original "Muffit of tea".

EDIT: ...and I think we now know where the "real bad bastid" stuff came from...

Twed

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 21, 2019, 07:07:06 PM
Just started the Kindle edition. I'm guessing "The Bollywig" is the original "Muffit of tea".
Funny, I'm reading a book where the (American) characters overuse the word "bailiwick", which is very almost the same word.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 21, 2019, 02:55:40 PM
Started on the audiobook. It's making me a bit depressed so far.

The whole book is like that. It's very readable and commendably honest, brutally so at times, but pretty grueling overall.

Jeeeesus, this is bleak. Was up until 1:30 last night, not wanting to go to sleep on a downer, wanting it to start to lighten up, but I'm now well into the stuff about Limmy's Show and it's still, largely, utterly miserable.

That's not to say it's bad. It's incredibly compelling and brutally honest. But, Christ, he's glass half empty.

Lost Oliver

Just finished it and yeah it's pretty fucking heavy stuff. Honest just about sums it up. Don't think there's many people who'd write so openly about their thoughts. Thank god he does though.

Considering I don't have an attention span anymore and it took me 9 months to read a short story by Joseph Heller (Work) I'm pretty pleased with myself that I managed to read it all in 24 hours. Not quite sure what to do with myself now though.

Beagle 2

I'm enjoying this, but I could have done without an hour of "girls I have kissed".

McFlymo

He was being a proper cunt to me on his webcam a few days ago, so I am a little sore and am having a bit of a "never meet your heroes" type feeling with regards to Limmy at the moment. It's a shame, because I was keen to check out the book, but now it's pure like: "Guy's a wank... Fuck him..."

VelourSpirit

What did he do? He usually has a go at someone in the chat but it's mostly him messing about