Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Limmy book [split topic]

Started by Malcy, January 30, 2019, 12:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

Ach, I suppose it's the standard thing you could expect from a stand up comedian responding to a heckler. Although, at the same time, fuck him the unfunny cunt.

I get that he overplays his fury as a comical thing (like a stand up does) that didn't bother me (and actually it was initially fun to be included) but it just got nasty later and he kept referring back to it and then essentially just saying I was a shite person and this is why everyone in my life hates me etc etc...

But to be fair, most of all, I think it was the timing of it. It hit me at time when I was feeling quite vulnerable and shite. I'm going through some mental health stuff and here's this guy who talks so openly about mental health stuff, who I've admired for that honesty and looked up to, for about 8 years now, being a complete wanker to me on his webcam...

It just all felt a bit weird and maybe a bit too real. So I don't know, maybe I just need a wee time out from the Limmy experience.

I had been following the webcam streams lately but I was feeling my goodwill being stretched to breaking point, as he randomly spends four hours playing Farm Simulator and not one single funny thing happens.

Bronzy

I think that Limmy sometimes assumes that the people he talks to are as hardened as him and can take anything he says that is as horrible as that as a laugh, because if it was said to him he would just laugh at it or have faux-outrage about it.

I sometimes wonder however if there's a layer below that where some of the comments do hurt him, but he just tries to hide it with layers of irony and OTT anger. He obviously struggles with mental health issues even to this day, I can't imagine that some of the personal stuff people say doesn't affect him?

I'm sorry to hear that McFlymo, Limmy doesn't strike me as the sort to be deliberately nasty like that, hopefully it was just a misunderstanding and I hope you're on the way to feeling better!

McFlymo

Quote from: Bronzy on February 28, 2019, 02:13:26 AM
I think that Limmy sometimes assumes that the people he talks to are as hardened as him and can take anything he says that is as horrible as that as a laugh, because if it was said to him he would just laugh at it or have faux-outrage about it.

I sometimes wonder however if there's a layer below that where some of the comments do hurt him, but he just tries to hide it with layers of irony and OTT anger. He obviously struggles with mental health issues even to this day, I can't imagine that some of the personal stuff people say doesn't affect him?

I'm sorry to hear that McFlymo, Limmy doesn't strike me as the sort to be deliberately nasty like that, hopefully it was just a misunderstanding and I hope you're on the way to feeling better!

Cheers.

I just bought his new book.

Aaaayyeeee.... I guess I have invested a lot in his particular brand of honesty and speaking out (Piers Morgan, shitty politicians, racists etc...) but there's an inconsistency with his rage and outbursts that I find hard to get on with. My assumption is that, at least with his online "persona" (twitter, youtube, webcam stuff) Limmy just does what he feels in the moment, so his moods and focus will change, quite randomly, which itself can be very funny, add to that his improv stories and rants, which are often worth waiting around for, but getting that up close to Limmy's inner workings (and being the brunt of his seemingly misplaced rage) is just not good for me. I turned off the email notifications for his Twitch.tv stuff and I don't really use Twitter anymore, so it's grand, I'll see how I get on with the new book and probably find out about any important Limmy shit through here!

He covers a lot of that in the book. He'll say awful things for a laugh on Twitter and then have to deal with a horrifying fallout - police visits, the press doorstepping his partner, etc. He's having a go at you because he thinks you're in on the joke, so I wouldn't take it personally.

Cuntbeaks

I will give the audiobook a whirl, seeing as it's an autiobiography. I cant imagine it could possibly be as painful as his previous attempts at writing.

McFlymo

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on February 28, 2019, 11:51:27 AM
I will give the audiobook a whirl, seeing as it's an autiobiography. I cant imagine it could possibly be as painful as his previous attempts at writing.

I audible'd (yep, it's a noun now) those two books, but I fear Limmy reading me his autobiography would be too much.

It's written very plainly, almost as if it's transcribed from conversation. Quite engrossing though, nearly finished the whole thing on a 4 hour bus journey. Loved the story about him coming up on ecstasy alone in his bedroom at 7am and turning on techno to dance by himself.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on February 28, 2019, 06:38:04 PM
It's written very plainly, almost as if it's transcribed from conversation. Quite engrossing though, nearly finished the whole thing on a 4 hour bus journey.

I assume you're reading a physical copy rather than listening to the audiobook then? I think his voice adds a lot and the plain writing style you mentioned benefits greatly from Limmy himself adding particular emphasis, inflections & intonations to the material. Not to say it must be a rubbish book without any of that but I finished the audiobook a couple of days ago and thought it was fantastic from start to finish.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on February 28, 2019, 06:38:04 PM
Loved the story about him coming up on ecstasy alone in his bedroom at 7am and turning on techno to dance by himself.

We've all been there.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on February 28, 2019, 09:53:57 PM
I assume you're reading a physical copy rather than listening to the audiobook then? I think his voice adds a lot and the plain writing style you mentioned benefits greatly from Limmy himself adding particular emphasis, inflections & intonations to the material. Not to say it must be a rubbish book without any of that but I finished the audiobook a couple of days ago and thought it was fantastic from start to finish.

Yeah, I'm skint at the moment and the ebook is the only version available to torrent. I'll buy the audiobook when I get sorted, I love listening to him tell stories so it must be a lot better.

non capisco

Alongside the aforementioned 'eckie inside a chewing gum' story already mentioned I thought the 'funny phone calls'/'Keith' saga was a particular highlight. "BLEUUURGH!"

I finished the audiobook mainly just hoping Limmy is going to be OK. "Commendably frank" is the sort of prosaic drivel you'd expect to see on a pull quote for every modern autobiography ever published but I can't think of any other way of describing what yer boy has pulled off here. As gruelling as it often is it did its bit to make me feel less alone in the world what with my daft lingering persecution complex and automatic assumption that everyone I meet thinks I'm the biggest dicksplash in creation, feelings Limmy reflects at various points in his book. No spoilers for those who haven't read it but he childhood fairground/waving at adults story he tells towards the beginning of the book rang great big clanging bells of recognition for me.

On another note I'm bummed that neither the 'Family' or Falconhoof sitcoms ended up getting made because they both sound like they could've been brilliant.

Noodle Lizard

McFlymo

Quote from: McFlymo on February 28, 2019, 12:25:35 PM
I audible'd (yep, it's a verb now) those two books, but I fear Limmy reading me his autobiography would be too much.

Edit: Verb you dick! *shame face*

Lost Oliver

I've been quite affected (or is effected?) by it tbh. Longstanding, lingering sense of unease. Admirable and I'd want nothing more but I did find bits of bleak. I wonder how I'll feel if I re-read it in a few years time when I'm a bit wiser / happier.

H-O-W-L

In the Secondary Years bit at the moment. It's really bleak so far but I haven't failed to at least giggle at every chapter. He has a good way of putting a sardonic spin on some real narky shit.

Twit 2

Quote from: Lost Oliver on March 02, 2019, 12:25:29 AM
I've been quite affected (or is effected?) by it tbh. Longstanding, lingering sense of unease. Admirable and I'd want nothing more but I did find bits of bleak. I wonder how I'll feel if I re-read it in a few years time when I'm a bit wiser / happier.

Affect is a verb/effect is a noun. (Exceptions - affect as a psychology term/the phrase 'effect change').

Twed

This is probably the most honest autobiography I've ever read. I relate to a lot of it. Even if the problems he's experienced are different, I relate to the insecure, muddled thinking behind them. It's cathartic.

I'm still pretty early on, listening to the audiobook. I was starting to get pissed off with him describing shagging a woman with a nice arse, but then he finished the story and transformed it into something heartwarming.

H-O-W-L

The arse-shaggery gets a bit much in some segments I will be honest.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, I was a little surprised how much of it is dedicated to basically "times I got off with a bird", whereas entire eras of his comedy career are kind of glossed over.  I'm only onto the first series of Limmy's Show, though, so I'm hoping for a little more detail going forward.

wooders1978

I wish he'd stop retweeting all these twitter wankers though

Quote from: McFlymo on February 27, 2019, 11:59:55 PM
He was being a proper cunt to me on his webcam a few days ago, so I am a little sore and am having a bit of a "never meet your heroes" type feeling with regards to Limmy at the moment. It's a shame, because I was keen to check out the book, but now it's pure like: "Guy's a wank... Fuck him..."

Limmy is an incredibly thin skinned guy. He can dish it out but he can't take it. At all.

He often singles people out on his webcam streams to have a go at them. Sometimes it's jokingly or half jokingly. But his army of fans on there usually take it seriously.

One thing he's been doing recently is calling his non-paying webcam viewers "vermin", which is obviously a joke, but half of his fans seem to think it's serious, and that donating money to him gives them some kind of actual status. You can imagine the kind of tosser this attracts.

Liked his autobiography a lot though.

Cuntbeaks

The cunt is well past his sell by date. He's done the autobiography, the BBC don't seem to be interested any more and he can't write fiction. All he has left as a revenue stream is talking pish online and there's only so much pish a person can talk.

Noodle Lizard

I liked it overall, though you could definitely recognise parts where he couldn't be bothered or rushed to a conclusion.  And like I said before, he'll dedicate an entire chapter to a bad shag, but I'm virtually no wiser about Limmy's Show (arguably his "biggest" achievement) than I was before.  I guess there was that chapter where he broke down how a sketch was created from start to finish, but there wasn't much in there that would surprise anyone with even a cursory knowledge of TV production.

I thought it got very interesting towards the end, talking about his depression - even after he "hit it big" - and the last chapter where he's basically pleading with himself to sort it out because he doesn't want to lose his family is admirably vulnerable.  A lot of the book was very relatable, I liked that he very rarely seemed to say anything to big himself up or make him look good - I don't think he said "needless to say, I had the last laugh" once.  I don't know if it's because he's so open and honest about his thoughts, no matter how "undesirable" they may be, but I feel more of a connection with him than any other celebrity(?) I can think of.  I feel like his book could possibly help a few people out.

Or push them over the edge.  Either way.

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on March 20, 2019, 08:23:50 AM
All he has left as a revenue stream is talking pish online and there's only so much pish a person can talk.

I don't agree. I think he'll continue talking pish into perpetuity.

The problem is that he'll struggle to get new subscribers on his Twitch channel. Unless you're world class at popular games or a good looking woman, the traffic that Twitch sends you is useless. So he needs to get his audience to Twitch. And unless he produces something that is broadcast to a wider audience, his audience will just dwindle away. Probably not to nothing - he has enough devoted fans who lap up everything he does. But certainly to the point where he isn't making a huge income from just streaming games anymore.

I'm not sure why he doesn't persevere with getting a sitcom made. "Limmy's Show" seems to have just fallen into place for him, and he seems to have underestimated how difficult it is to actually sell a TV show. He's tried twice and has now basically just given up, which is a shame.

Malcy

He's hoping to get more Limmy's Homemade Show made so the twitch stuff is just filling time until he finds out what's happening with that

Twed

He seems happy doing Twitch and it's making him money for now.

I do hope he'll be okay in general. As NL said, a lot of his book was very relatable.

I don't think being a constant TV show factory would work out well for him. I hope that after Twitch loses its sheen (if it does) he is still desirable to TV show commissioners.

Quote from: ComedyUnitInsider on March 20, 2019, 06:02:08 AM
Limmy is an incredibly thin skinned guy. He can dish it out but he can't take it. At all.
I was trying to help him out with his HTML5 programming on Twitter a few years ago, and told him a specific thing about sound limitations in web pages (not being able to play them before clicking on an interactive element, essentially). He didn't believe me and called me a massive cunt, and then I managed to convince him and he was singing my praises. I really enjoyed it. I think that if you take Limmy personally you shouldn't engage with him.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah when he was in his bread making period I sent him a photo of a loaf I'd made and he was merciless. Cruel bastard.

Quote from: Malcy on March 22, 2019, 04:13:49 PM
He's hoping to get more Limmy's Homemade Show made so the twitch stuff is just filling time until he finds out what's happening with that

I might be misremembering this, but it's my understanding that a full series of Limmy's Homemade Show was produced, and bought by BBC Scotland, but they've decided not to air it for now.

Plus he's raking in at least £7000 a month from Twitch at the moment. If you're making that kind of cash sitting around in your house playing computer games for 3 hours a day, why go to the massive effort of making a TV show?

Captain Z

Quote from: ComedyUnitInsider on March 22, 2019, 11:58:26 PM
I might be misremembering this, but it's my understanding that a full series of Limmy's Homemade Show was produced, and bought by BBC Scotland, but they've decided not to air it for now.

I'm pretty sure that after suggesting they'd like a series, the BBC changed the final commission to a single one-off special/pilot. So while I'm sure he has plenty of rough cuts and ideas floating around, they were never made into a proper TV series.

Danger Man

Quote from: Twed on March 03, 2019, 05:09:57 PM
This is probably the most honest autobiography I've ever read.

He's honest about the things he wants you to know about.

His brother could have made for an interesting chapter but only got one line in the book.