Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Limmy book [split topic]

Started by Malcy, January 30, 2019, 12:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: ComedyUnitInsider on March 22, 2019, 11:58:26 PM
I might be misremembering this, but it's my understanding that a full series of Limmy's Homemade Show was produced, and bought by BBC Scotland, but they've decided not to air it for now.

Plus he's raking in at least £7000 a month from Twitch at the moment. If you're making that kind of cash sitting around in your house playing computer games for 3 hours a day, why go to the massive effort of making a TV show?

I'm sure he's realistic enough to know that won't last.  He's in the golden period of it right now, around 6 months in, but to keep that up requires constantly expanding your audience, which I don't think is very likely unless he's promoting himself in other ways too (i.e. a TV show, in his case).

Cuntbeaks

£7k per month for talking pish to cunts online?

Fuck my life. It really is the end of days.

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on March 23, 2019, 02:32:40 AM
£7k per month for talking pish to cunts online?

Fuck my life. It really is the end of days.

To be fair, it's more like £7k a month for about 15 years of accumulated goodwill.

A bit like when a company will make someone "Vice Chairman" or "Director of Innovation" or something after they've had a good career and pay them loads of money to do not much as a reward for past achievements.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah exactly, it's really more of a stipend for 15 years or so of hard work to build a fan base of any kind.  7k a month really isn't much for most people who've had any success in the entertainment industry.

MrsWarboysLover

My favourite part of the book was when Limmy was going on rants or telling stories about times he was angry or petty. Like the meeting with those comedy people who wanted him involved in their project, or like the story about his roomate and the tv. That stuff really made me laugh. If he wrote a whole book just full of those types of anecdotes I'd buy it in an instant. As it was, I enjoyed it and it was fascinating but like others have said its pretty relentlessly grim.

Also wish he'd make more Homemade Show.

Twed

He dissed Linehan for reasons that weren't even the obvious ones.

I liked the relentlessly grim stuff. I was disappointed that at times it skipped over lots of opportunities to go over things in detail, things we know were huge parts of Limmy's life (shows etc.) but were glossed over. And no matter how I think about it, documenting every sexual experience you've ever had is weird to read, even if there's a valid reason for it.

Thought it was quite interesting how he never even mentioned meeting and getting together with his girlfriend, yet he talks about a relationship in his early twenties in glowing, magical terms. You'd think she'd be a bit miffed. She basically only appears in his book as someone who he pisses off or is nagged by.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: ComedyUnitInsider on March 24, 2019, 04:38:19 PM
Thought it was quite interesting how he never even mentioned meeting and getting together with his girlfriend, yet he talks about a relationship in his early twenties in glowing, magical terms. You'd think she'd be a bit miffed. She basically only appears in his book as someone who he pisses off or is nagged by.
He definitely talks about how they met and even their early shags. It's the end of the chapter where he lists his shags

selectivememory

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 24, 2019, 04:42:15 PM
He definitely talks about how they met and even their early shags. It's the end of the chapter where he lists his shags

Yep. And also I think he even mentioned then that he wasn't going to talk much about their relationship in the remainder of the book because she asked him not to.

Edit: Anyway, I did enjoy the book, but the second half of it (when he starts talking about getting into comedy) was much more interesting than the first. Was hoping it would be funnier than it was, but still an enjoyable enough read. More interested in seeing him on TV in some form than reading another book though, but it doesn't seem that it's going to happen any time soon. I really liked his Homemade Show, and reckon he could quite easily put together a very decent series of that if given the chance.

Quote from: Malcy on March 22, 2019, 04:13:49 PM
He's hoping to get more Limmy's Homemade Show made so the twitch stuff is just filling time until he finds out what's happening with that

Yes, this. He basically confirmed it during a tour Q&A very recently.

Quote from: Danger Man on March 23, 2019, 12:16:59 AM
He's honest about the things he wants you to know about.

His brother could have made for an interesting chapter but only got one line in the book.

Agreed, I wanted to read more about their relationship, but then I suppose if your brother is a full on cunt you wouldn't want to write anything about it, pretend he doesn't exist.

Yeah, I was wondering if he would go into that. The story about his brother beating up the guy that beat him up was sweet though.

Pancake

Wasn't going to get this but I quite fancy his wife so will get the audiobook to listen to him describe their early shags

Captain Z

Apparently I have yet another Audible free trial so I'm probably going to activate it, are there any other good Audiobooks around that I could use for my other 2 free books? The only things I have already are I Partridge, Nomad, Daft Wee Stories and That's Your Lot.

jimboslice

I got Coogan's autobiography and the Incomplete Tim Key. Both decent.

It's definitely worth trying it on with Audible and asking for another trial too. I had one in 2016 and "wasn't eligible" for a new one - quick message on the help chat, new 3 credit trial activated.

mrpupkin

I think all of Tim Key's Late Night Poetry Programme (from Radio 4) is on Audible too. It is funny and good.

MattD

I was sat reading this all last night. I laughed a lot, even at some of the bleak stuff he seemed very flippant about it.

Some weird and wonderful insights, like the bit about the sunflower poster. Really gave a feel of the depths of his imagination.

I am around halfway through this, having just finished the shagging section that ends when he shags his life partner and future mother of his son and being just about to start the section on his alcoholism. I think he writes very well (writing in the same voice as you normally speak is not easy) so am surprised to learn that his fiction is poor.

I have laughed more than I had expected to do given the grim details and his clearly very dark view of human nature (everyone seems to be a cunt, even people he likes and doesn't blame) but I wonder how these "lassies" feel if they are reading his descriptions of him shagging them and think their identities can be detected by anyone who knew them at the time.

His depression is relatable and I think is connected to his alienation and feeling like an outsider, almost as if he is watching himself on a screen rather than authentically feeling that his life is real. I think many of us can empathize with that feeling that we are characters in a mad fiction.