Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Normal Things That Don't Happen in Movies

Started by Golden E. Pump, February 01, 2019, 01:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden E. Pump

When was the last time you saw the hero leave his house and then go back because he wasn't sure if he locked it or not?

Eh?

EH?

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Wiping. The only time i've seen wiping even referenced was in the Tenacious D film.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bgmnts on February 01, 2019, 01:44:01 AM
Wiping. The only time i've seen wiping even referenced was in the Tenacious D film.

There's a bit in Rules of Attraction where you see James Van Der Forehead taking a shit from start to finish, wiping, checking the paper, deciding he's not done, continuing, then wiping again.  Him from Dawson's Creek doing that.

Bazooka

Somebody calling up for a car insurance renewal.

Bad Ambassador

DrGreggles

Picking a rogue hair off a post-piss penis.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2019, 08:23:50 AM
Saying "goodbye" when ending a phone call

Always had a problem with Jack Bauer over this.
Never said "Bye" or "Thanks".
The cunt.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 01, 2019, 09:05:32 AM
Always had a problem with Jack Bauer over this.
Never said "Bye" or "Thanks".
The cunt.

He did sometimes say "thank you" in that anxious, urgent whisper of his. That's one of the things I liked about 24 - despite being constantly on the verge of a violent nervous breakdown, Jack Bauer was often quite polite and mild-mannered.

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 01, 2019, 09:04:48 AM
Picking a rogue hair off a post-piss penis.

Going to the toilet after sex and spraying everywhere because your piss hole is all gummed up

momatt

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2019, 10:09:27 AM
Going to the toilet after sex and spraying everywhere because your piss hole is all gummed up

This is the only scene I remember about Me, Myself and Irene.  It's pretty funny.
Soz.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 01, 2019, 09:51:06 AM
He did sometimes say "thank you" in that anxious, urgent whisper of his. That's one of the things I liked about 24 - despite being constantly on the verge of a violent nervous breakdown, Jack Bauer was often quite polite and mild-mannered.

Nah, he'd hardly even acknowledge that the call was over.
He'd be told something, look into space for a couple of seconds, then run off and twat a wrong 'un!

I'd have loved them to have cut back to CTU at some point to show Tony or Michelle or whoever shouting "Jack? Jack? Are you still there? Ah, the fucker's run off again."

zomgmouse

popcorn

Someone not hearing something properly and asking the speaker to repeat it and then saying oh right.

lipsink

A guy checks in at a hotel, gets given the wrong key at the desk so has to go back down and get it changed.

Icehaven

Slightly off topic but when watching scenes involving food, in a café or at a dinner table for example, it's always terrific fun to watch and see if anyone's actually eating the food in front of them or not. Half the time they don't, presumably because it's not really edible or for continuity etc., but once you notice it you start noticing all the little moves and so on that the actors are using to try and not make it too obvious.

Icehaven

Overlapping conversations*, two people both starting to talk at the same time then stopping and saying ''After you'', ''no, go on'' etc., conversations that just stop for no obvious reason, abstract exchanges like ''Oh that's like the one in the...''  ''Yeah I thought that.'' with no explanation. In fact almost all speech in movies is unrealistic because it's necessary and imparts some information and most real speech isn't and doesn't.

*I know there's exceptions to this (Woody Allen films, Robert Downey Jnr. in everything, moments when everyone starts yelling just so one of them can go ''Everybody just shut up!!") but they are deliberate exceptions.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on February 01, 2019, 12:58:16 PM
you notice it you start noticing all the little moves and so on that the actors are using to try and not make it too obvious

In the industry that's called "business".

Icehaven

There's two bits in one of my favourite films, The Wonder Boys, that the first time I watched actually stuck out as exactly the kind of little real-life moments you don't see in films unless they tie in to something else going on or have consequences later, but they didn't. One was someone picking up a landline phone to take out onto the porch, and as they pull the cable it ripples through into another room and you hear a crash, and that's that, the other is a policeman getting out of a car and as he walks away it slowly starts rolling, he quickly notices and hurries back, pulls the handbrake and it stops, and there's no further consequence. I mean they're both supposed to be mildly amusing but there's no other reason why they happen.   

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 01, 2019, 10:40:07 AM
Nah, he'd hardly even acknowledge that the call was over.

When the call was over and Chloe had sent the schematics to his phone he'd reply with a smiley face and thumbs up emoji.

Lord Mandrake

Al Pacino is brilliantly naturalistic in this scene. Furtive as fuck, panicking for a moment but still in control.. It's a glance he does to the left as he's fumbling in his pocket at 1.13 that sells all the emotions.

https://youtu.be/tPJ9WsQhpMw

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 01, 2019, 12:03:35 PM
Eating boogers

A Shrek?

Actually, on this tip.

This isn't a normal thing but I will address it anyway. In time travel stories that return to any period before 1860 does the traveller acknowledge that virtually everybody they encounter stinks of damp unwashed laundrey, B.O., haltosis, awful perfume, piss and shit.

notjosh

Slightly off topic but when watching scenes involving food, in a café or at a dinner table for example, it's always terrific fun to watch and see if anyone's actually eating the food in front of them or not. Half the time they don't, presumably because it's not really edible or for continuity etc., but once you notice it you start noticing all the little moves and so on that the actors are using to try and not make it too obvious.

Reminds me of these two pretending to know how snooker works:
https://youtu.be/KFB7Y0BmpiQ?t=1792

bgmnts

Quote from: notjosh on February 01, 2019, 02:13:10 PM
Reminds me of these two pretending to know how snooker works:
https://youtu.be/KFB7Y0BmpiQ?t=1792

Considering they are playing Hindu rules snwcer, I find this highly culturally insensitive.

purlieu

Coughing, sneezing, throat clearing, hiccuping, burping, farting (unless it's related to the plot or for a joke).

Things coming up on a computer screen without making little digital beeping noises.

phantom_power

I think it is usually more because they might do 20 takes and not want to eat their bodyweight in pasta or whatever

Brundle-Fly

Is James Finlayson the only person to fall up a staircase in Way Out West (1937)?
Nobody ever slightly misjudges and bashes their shin.