Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais [split topic]

Started by Sebastian Cobb, January 30, 2019, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Haha absolute state of that. Got to the "wearing hats all the time" baldness level.

Who commissioned this photo, and for what purpose? Is he plugging something, or is this a misguided vanity shoot?

Thursday

Perhaps the worst condemnation of Winston Churchill I've ever seen.

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

As if Churchill hadn't caused enough atrocities.

Desperate for a Glinner/Gervais twitter crossover event.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It's got to the point of my hatred of him that I even hate his stubby little fingers, and that can't be healthy. Last time that happened it was Noel Gallagher's stubby fingers.

St_Eddie

Oh no!  I just cut myself on Gervais' edge.  Ouch!

What a pillock.

Sebastian Cobb

A while back I was listening to a quite early xfm show where Karl expresses how he doesn't really understand trans folk and Gervais delivers, as if explaining to a child, a fairly reasoned understanding of gender dysphoria, one that seems reasonable even by today's standards even if Karl's then misunderstanding might get him CANCELLED today.

It's funny how their roles have swapped over time. Even if Karl was playing his ignorance up it's nothing compared to who Gervais is willing to punch down on to be edgy.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 30, 2019, 07:46:01 PM
It's got to the point of my hatred of him that I even hate his stubby little fingers, and that can't be healthy. Last time that happened it was Noel Gallagher's stubby fingers.

Gervais, Noel Gallagher, Donald Trump, Suralan Sugar... There's something in this.

Christ, what a colossal valve. When is SuperNature out? I'm gagging for a hatewatch.

BritishHobo

His Netflix show starts proper soon.

BritishHobo

Cuellar

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 31, 2019, 01:14:31 PM
Friday 8th March.

That seems like a very quick turnaround. Promises to be shite.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on January 31, 2019, 02:12:16 PM
That seems like a very quick turnaround. Promises to be shite.

He's been doing work-in-progress gigs for months now, and he's done about a bajillion. He should have the set nailed by now.

It will still be shite, of course.

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 31, 2019, 01:14:31 PM
Friday 8th March.

Thank you... Now, who's in for another CaB hatewatchalong? Get the popcorn in for 9pm?

I'm glad it's a Friday, watching Humanity on a Tuesday night while stone-cold sober was a real chore.

Blue Jam

Oh hang on, you were referring to Afterlife there, weren't you?

Fuck it, I'm still getting the popcorn in, Afterlife sounds like it could be the new Derek.

Cuellar

Yeah I'm much more interested in a series than another stand up show. Praying for another Derek rather than another Life's Too Short.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2019, 03:07:09 PM
Oh hang on, you were referring to Afterlife there, weren't you?

Fuck it, I'm still getting the popcorn in, Afterlife sounds like it could be the new Derek.

How does a Netflix watchalong work? Surely we can't be expected to watch all 6 eps in one go.

Paul Calf

QuoteNetflix has ordered a new comedy series from Ricky Gervais, Variety has learned.

Titled "After Life," the series follows Tony (Gervais), who had a perfect life. But after his wife Lisa suddenly dies, Tony changes. After contemplating taking his own life, he decides instead to live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever he likes from now on. He thinks it's like a Super Power — not caring about himself or anyone else — but it turns out to be tricky when everyone is trying to save the nice guy they used to know.

It sounds like the Mitchell and Webb parody of Nick Hornby, Nick Hornby Epiphany. And a bit like Pilkington's Sick Of It.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 31, 2019, 03:20:59 PM
How does a Netflix watchalong work? Surely we can't be expected to watch all 6 eps in one go.

It could be like the more recent Derek hatewatchalong where we watch one episode a week at 9pm... Tuesday could be good again?

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2019, 06:30:53 PM
It could be like the more recent Derek hatewatchalong where we watch one episode a week at 9pm... Tuesday could be good again?

I'm off work so I have a flexible schedule.

The recent watchalong floundered, I think I was the last one going and it was just too grim even for me. I only made it to the opener for season 2 (or to put it another way, one episode further than Pilkington made it and he was being paid for his time).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2019, 06:30:53 PM

We should definitely start a new thread for that. We'll work something out.

However, I don't think After Life will be a baffling, abysmal and hilariously deranged misfire on the scale of Derek. It'll probably just be tired, boring shite. I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Mobius

Wonder if there'll be any atheist rants in it

Moribunderast

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 31, 2019, 11:56:50 PM
We should definitely start a new thread for that. We'll work something out.

However, I don't think After Life will be a baffling, abysmal and hilariously deranged misfire on the scale of Derek. It'll probably just be tired, boring shite. I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Yeah, I'll watch it just in case it's Derek-level bad (never even bothered with Life's Too Short) but I think it will just be shit rather than being astoundingly shit. Derek was the perfect storm: trying to justify his mong character by taking said character and making him the personification of kindness, except the show didn't seem to understand what kindness was, nor how old folks' homes work and weirdly had Kev shoehorned in so Gervais could make gross jokes despite the whole "kindness" theme. The only similarity After Life might have is in it's hilariously on-the-nose mawkishness and bizarre changes in tone (that came about due to poor writing) but, again, I doubt it can reach the heights of "What the fuck is he thinking?" that Derek achieved.

poodlefaker

It sounds a bit like Mr Pye by Mervyn Peake, although probably not as funny.

phes

Quote from: Moribunderast on February 01, 2019, 08:00:08 AM
...but, again, I doubt it can reach the heights of "What the fuck is he thinking?" that Derek achieved.

Given Gervais need for autonomy and that his producer and executive producer worked on Life's Too Short, Derke Pilot and Derke, I have faith that we could be in for another baffling misfire

He's spent years now backing himself into the naughty corner, ranting on about how he should be allowed to behave just as he pleases and anyone who disagrees can like it or lump it. I figure this will be his Derek-esque, horrible, horrible redemption. See, I was just playing you guys because I AM THE MASTER OF MANIPULATION!

Bennett Brauer

Is it too much to hope that Derek will actually be in this, if only fleetingly in an outdoor scene? A distant figure in the background staring at the camera.

Ferris

Quote from: Mobius on February 01, 2019, 06:10:43 AM
Wonder if there'll be any atheist rants in it

Oh I very much doubt it. Ahem.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 01, 2019, 08:32:56 PM
Is it too much to hope that Derek will actually be in this, if only fleetingly in an outdoor scene? A distant figure in the background staring at the camera.

Oh please oh please oh please

jobotic

Maybe it's Derek that killed his wife, with a kind hug .