Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais [split topic]

Started by Sebastian Cobb, January 30, 2019, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

I think what we all don't understand, yeah, is that sometimes it looks like people are doing something really bad, like heroin, yeah? But they're only doing heroin because something bad has happened to them, yeah?

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 18, 2019, 12:15:03 AM
I think what we all don't understand, yeah, is that sometimes it looks like people are doing something really bad, like heroin, yeah? But they're only doing heroin because something bad has happened to them, yeah?

This really made me laugh.

I can hear Gervais doing this and can imagine the hand movements, yeah? So... sort of a different spin on it... innovative. S'what I do, yeah.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 17, 2019, 11:22:00 PM
That was certainly the first time I heard it. That live stand-up show ITV did (presented by Lee Hurst maybe?) where he stole the show every week.

Saturday Live.

BeardFaceMan

PlanktonSideburns

Imagine doing a TV show and it being so shit the daily mail likes it

neardark

That's a line from my new show, "Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side :D"

Some A-class philosophising and deep reflection from the chubby funster in this New York Times interview:
Has Twitter been good for your comedy?
It has. I can see a cross section of society a thousand times faster than I could've otherwise. I've got 13 million followers. That's the world, really. I'll tweet, "What's a subject you should never joke about?" Some people fall for the trap and say something like, "Psoriasis." Then I can come up with 10 minutes on that.

QuoteYou're saying Twitter is a dirty toilet stall of human thought, but you also rely on it to generate material. Aren't there more interesting places to look? Do you mean, why am I fighting the easiest targets? Why am I picking extreme examples? Because I'm a comedian, not a politician.

QuoteYou might want to spend less time on social media. I'm fine as long as I can properly calibrate what's there online and also still remember to walk outside in the sun.

That sounds like a drug addict saying, "I'm fine as long as I balance my uppers and downers." I could be wrong. But no, I know I'm not.

(Those really are three different sections of the interview, not one bit where they touch on twitter.)

He also reveals the one and only time that criticism made him realise that he had been cruel and unfair in a joke: he once made fun of a guy who flipped on the cocaine-smuggling ring he was part of, sending his partner to jail for life, for only going on to make $80 million dollars, instead of $300 million.

garnish

QuoteHas Twitter been good for your comedy? It has. I can see a cross section of society a thousand times faster than I could've otherwise. I've got 13 million followers. That's the world, really. I'll tweet, "What's a subject you should never joke about?" Some people fall for the trap and say something like, "Psoriasis." Then I can come up with 10 minutes on that.

Is it possible he thinks psoriasis is something other than a flaky skin problem?

Hat FM

i had a run in with Gervais the other day. sent a tweet which was a bit ill advised and didn't read how i meant it to. it ended up reading like i was suggesting that Ricky Gervais thinks everyone uses twitter because that is the only one that he uses. What it was supposed to be was a comment that all of his characters use and refer to twitter when people like most in his shows would never go near twitter, rather go on the daily mail website or instagram and that they always refer to twitter because that is the one that Gervais uses. two minutes later Gervais has quoted my tweet (obviously after name searching himself) telling me that he is also on facebook and instagram (no shit mate). For the next four hours i get nothing but mentions from his fawning followers telling me that i "should have done my research before being so dumb" and that i got "burned" (really?) by Gervais. One of Gervais' fans was of the opinion that me and my kids deserved cancer for my observation. So that's nice.

strange experience. luckily i'm quite thick skinned and realise that anyone that found 'afterlife' to be insightful and deep in any way is clearly lacking general brain function.

Mango Chimes

QuoteYou're saying Twitter is a dirty toilet stall of human thought, but you also rely on it to generate material. Aren't there more interesting places to look? Do you mean, why am I fighting the easiest targets? Why am I picking extreme examples? Because I'm a comedian, not a politician.

That's a hack comedian, though, isn't it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Hat FM on March 20, 2019, 02:21:27 PM
For the next four hours i get nothing but mentions from his fawning followers telling me that i "should have done my research before being so dumb" and that i got "burned" (really?) by Gervais. One of Gervais' fans was of the opinion that me and my kids deserved cancer for my observation. So that's nice.

I guarantee you that these are the exact same people who repeated the mantra of 'kindness is magic' around the time that Derek was aired.

phes

Ricky will be writing a second season of AfterLife.

paruses

Quote from: phes on March 20, 2019, 04:56:50 PM

That's had the same effect on me as when you read captions at the end of gripping dramas or documentaries that reveal your favourite character was found dead 2 days later or something; I feel cold inside.

Cuellar

But no one will film it.

idunnosomename

QuoteI've got 13 million followers. That's the world, really.

*cut to apartment in Shanghai*
Chinese person (in Hu dialect): Oh ho ho! That Ricky Gervais. Always telling it like it is. I particularly find his work on atheism particularly amusing, even though in my society it isn't relevant to me at all

*cut to house in Singapore*
Singaporean person (in, uh Malay?): Ah yes, hope he gets a second series of After Life. Even if in my society, suicide is actually illegal to attempt and much less likely to be treated as a subject for comedy.

*cut to undiscovered tribe somewhere in Brazilian rainforest*
Uncontacted tribesperson (in uh, some indigenous language I guess): I loved it when David Bowie was in Extras! Got a bit behind with his work after that

DrGreggles

Shouldn't he finish the first one first?
Honestly, this is like me with those big Sudoku books!

St_Eddie

To be followed by a special no doubt.

DrGreggles

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 07:18:21 PM
To be followed by a special no doubt.

It's not a special, it's just very kind.

Ferris

cliggg

Ricky has offended a horse trainer for tweeting about the treatment of horses at the Grand National. It doesn't really mean anything but does in relation to this thread (or anything at al really) but does show how bored I am in work today.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/i-had-to-say-something-meath-trainer-responds-to-ricky-gervais-offensive-tweet-in-aftermath-of-grand-national-916207.html

jobotic

See I'm with him on this one but...a stupid picture of a horse's eye with a tear photoshopped on? That's so shit.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Isn't the horse trainer feller missing the point a bit? "yeah, we love our horses, and take the best possible care of them, right up to the point where they knack themselves at the deathtrap jump on the Grand National, then we shoot them through the head".

kalowski

"Every year after the Grand National you see tweets similar to this and it gets tedious to be honest"

I'm sure the horses think the same, just before they are shot and melted down.

Blue Jam

This really fucked me off:

https://mobile.twitter.com/_AnimalAdvocate/status/1105433417083248640

As a biomedical scientist whose whole area is developing in vitro alternatives to animal experiments, I could write a whole essay on all the things Ricky is wrong about here, but I don't have the energy. Debating with these people is pointless.

And you still eat cheese, Ricky.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 10, 2019, 11:49:20 AM
Isn't the horse trainer feller missing the point a bit? "yeah, we love our horses, and take the best possible care of them, right up to the point where they knack themselves at the deathtrap jump on the Grand National, then we shoot them through the head".
my horse read that now and now he's crying. you cunt

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 10, 2019, 11:49:20 AM

Exactly. Never thought I'd agree with Gervais on a subject. Nice to see a celebrity criticising horse racing.

He's still wrong about most other things though.

Blue Jam

Yes, horse racing is much harder to defend than animal research. Horse racing isn't necessary, it doesn't benefit humanity or the world in a major way, and the horses die for fuck-all. I can't disagree with him on that one even if I disagree with him on most things

I am slightly bothered by his "shop, don't adopt" mantra as well. I've owned two rescue dogs and while I agree that adopting a pet from a shelter is the best option and ideally everyone would do it, it isn't for everyone. I usually hear that one from people who don't actually own a pet, never mind a rescue, and have no idea what they're talking about.

Bronzy

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 10, 2019, 01:51:30 PM
Yes, horse racing is much harder to defend than animal research. Horse racing isn't necessary, it doesn't benefit humanity or the world in a major way, and the horses die for fuck-all. I can't disagree with him on that one even if I disagree with him on most things

I am slightly bothered by his "shop, don't adopt" mantra as well. I've owned two rescue dogs and while I agree that adopting a pet from a shelter is the best option and ideally everyone would do it, it isn't for everyone. I usually hear that one from people who don't actually own a pet, never mind a rescue, and have no idea what they're talking about.

Blue Jam

I'm not sure what you mean with that gif, Bronzy. My point is that rescue dogs usually have behavioural problems and can be very hard work- worth it if you're able to put in the time and effort or pay a professional to help you, but not everyone is. Dogs that have been abused can have issues with nervous aggression and aren't suitable for first-time owners and families with young children. It's also cruel to adopt a dog when there's a good chance that you'll have to return it- if you have an allergy for example, or you find it isn't good with your children and other pets. Not all dogs are good "starter dogs" either, and a first-time owner should choose their dog very carefully.

I think getting a rescue dog is the ideal, but if you really can't do that, I think buying from a breeder is fine as long as you learn how to find a reputable one. Breed-specific rescues are an option too.

The only exception I'd make is for Staffies- go to a rescue centre for those, there are loads which need rehoming and too many greedy bastards breeding them.