Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeremy Hardy has died

Started by Jake Thingray, February 01, 2019, 09:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 01, 2019, 08:17:40 PMDanny Baker in "making it all about himself again" shocker

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 01, 2019, 11:43:00 PM
See also Victoria Coren-Mitchell.  Your Dad?  You had a famous Dad?  Really?  And there was me thinking you had a career based on talent.

Both guilty maybe of the now traditional rush of famous people to say anything, but Victoria Coren's comment has heart and soul at least, and might mean something to those who liked JH and Alan Coren on the News Quiz. Danny Baker should have kept it to himself.

Brundle-Fly

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 02, 2019, 01:34:03 AM
Danny Baker should have kept it to himself.

Yep. It's something you would, understandably, say privately to your partner, family and close friends: "Fuck, a terminally ill man, a friend of mine, sent me a tweet about his condition but I didn't see it at the time. I feel terrible about that."

"Going public" with that sentiment on social media feels terribly self-serving and inappropriate. I'm very fond of Danny Baker, but bloody hell.

I saw Linda Smith give a very funny routine about a year before she passed but somehow never put Hardy in the same class until much later, by which time I had emigrated so would never get the chance to see him. Now both are gone; hugely sad.

Mark Steel is still going, obviously, but I feel he is rather laboured compared to Smith and Hardy. Rather too shouty when I saw him in the mid-90s.

pigamus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 02, 2019, 03:09:14 AM
Yep. It's something you would, understandably, say privately to your partner, family and close friends: "Fuck, a terminally ill man, a friend of mine, sent me a tweet about his condition but I didn't see it at the time. I feel terrible about that."

"Going public" with that sentiment on social media feels terribly self-serving and inappropriate. I'm very fond of Danny Baker, but bloody hell.

To be fair, that's not quite what happened. It was supposed to be a DM - as far as anyone can gather - but it was sent publically, so this is more like an explanation of something people already knew about, rather than a private thing made public.

Enzo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 02, 2019, 03:09:14 AM

Bit unfair.

His tweet to Danny Baker resurfaced and was widely shared around twitter in the last couple of days as a "clue" to Hardy's illness.

I think Baker is reacting to that rather than making it about himself.

Scarymole

Yes, the tweet where he tells Danny he is dying is this one: https://twitter.com/JeremyJHardy/status/1080742659063513089

He publicly tweeted it on the 3rd Jan, when presumably it should have been a private message, but Danny didn't know about it until yesterday when it started to get some attention

pigamus

Quote from: Enzo on February 02, 2019, 01:47:14 PM
Bit unfair.

His tweet to Danny Baker resurfaced and was widely shared around twitter in the last couple of days as a "clue" to Hardy's illness.

"Hello! Hello! Can anybody hear me? Have I ceased to exist? Have I suddenly become invisible? Sybil - can you see me?"

biggytitbo

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 02, 2019, 11:23:01 AM
Mark Steel is still going, obviously, but I feel he is rather laboured compared to Smith and Hardy. Rather too shouty when I saw him in the mid-90s.

Mark Steel may never reach the peak of his lectures series but his Independent column is still consistently great.

Johnny Yesno

Ah fuck. Absolutley gutted. He did a gig in Brighton last year and and I missed it. I'd seen him a couple of times before and he was great. I thought there'd be ample opportunity of seeing him again.

Anyone remember Jack and Jeremy's Real Lives. All I could find on YT is this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QiMTD-MLi8

Each episode Hardy played a Geordie character called (Mick? Think I'm getting confused with Mike from the Godbullies) Hard who had the catchphrase '...due to a bit of trouble in me past'.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 01, 2019, 06:13:18 PM
EDIT 2: Also loved this, I can so hear him saying it:
QuoteI got his autograph once. He signed it, 'What happened between us meant nothing'. I always laugh when I think of that. That meant a lot to me.

That's hilarious :-D

lankyguy95

Quote from: Enzo on February 02, 2019, 01:47:14 PM
Bit unfair.

Exactly. Tributes, especially those of a personal nature, often relate themselves to the person who died. When it's so clearly a shock and there's a sense of regret, as with Baker in this instance, then it's even more understandable. Criticising him for his tweet seems very uncharitable.

jobotic

It's almost as if Walnuts posted on here just to slag someone off, not a word about Jeremy Hardy, his exact opposite.

pigamus

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 02, 2019, 11:23:01 AM

Yes, him and Andrew Maxwell are both very bad for that when they're on the News Quiz - you're on Radio 4 with a big fluffy microphone in front of you, please stop bellowing like a drunk.

Biggy's right about the Mark Steel Lectures, but he could often give the slight impression that he was the only non-posh person ever to have read a book, which used to rub me up the wrong way a bit. I've warmed to him a lot more since then.

Cuellar

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 01, 2019, 11:43:00 PM
  And there was me thinking you had a career based on talent.

Dunno what lead you to that idea

Twed

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 02, 2019, 02:25:58 PM

Anyone remember Jack and Jeremy's Real Lives. All I could find on YT is this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QiMTD-MLi8

Would love to see this. Alas, I can't find anything. Most searches end up back at CaB.

DrGreggles

biggytitbo

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 02, 2019, 02:25:58 PM
Ah fuck. Absolutley gutted. He did a gig in Brighton last year and and I missed it. I'd seen him a couple of times before and he was great. I thought there'd be ample opportunity of seeing him again.

I'm sure there's an episode with Gayle Tuesday where Jeremy tries to chat her up and he says "you're gorge" and she says "ohh no, is it showing", which has always stayed with me for some reason.

Sebastian Cobb

I've seen Mark Steel do stand up twice.

Once was his 'in town' series. Quite good, too many generic Scottish accents and about half way in he just went onto some stock material.

The second time was his show about being adopted. A well thought out journey of discovery. The best of his I've seen.

The third was a bitter story about his marriage falling apart plus the generic jokes I'd heard in the first in town thing.

I love his independent column though.

Mark Thomas has been the most consistent stand up of that lot. Bit shouty but great. His thing about the NHS he's touring is wonderful.

kidsick5000

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 02, 2019, 04:45:20 PM

I'm sure there's an episode with Gayle Tuesday where Jeremy tries to chat her up and he says "you're gorge" and she says "ohh no, is it showing", which has always stayed with me for some reason.

Heh! That does sound familiar.

idunnosomename

Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the Nation was seriously wonderful. I remember it right back when I started listening to radio 4 in the early noughties when the  Blair years were (quite literally) exploding.

Brilliant fucker, I'm very very sad.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Scarymole on February 02, 2019, 01:50:03 PM
Yes, the tweet where he tells Danny he is dying is this one: https://twitter.com/JeremyJHardy/status/1080742659063513089

He publicly tweeted it on the 3rd Jan, when presumably it should have been a private message, but Danny didn't know about it until yesterday when it started to get some attention

I thought the tweet Danny Baker was talking about had been quickly deleted and that he was bringing it up needlessly, but that link shows I was wrong. Sorry for jumping the gun.

Jake Thingray

A tribute to Hardy from an unexpected source, at 1 hour 12 minutes in, on a late-night programme from the part of the world my granny always referred to as the Six Counties, and which I really only listen to as it helps with falling asleep. It's a nice interview, from 2012.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002928

Blinder Data

Very sad. Only knew him from Radio 4 but there aren't enough committed republicans on the TV/radio. One of the few panel show regulars you could really rely on to say something funny.

Always loved this joke of his:

QuotePeople often say, 'I wish I was dead', which is just a terrible thing to say - because it's 'I wish I were dead'.

pigamus

Has there not been a Radio 4 tribute programme? Seems a bit odd.

idunnosomename

Well he did die pretty suddenly. And actually a lot of people are really upset about it so it's not easy to make one either

He was mentioned at the end of the new series of Feedback this afternoon.

pigamus

Maybe he specifically didn't want one.

olliebean

The News Quiz did a little montage of some of his best bits at the end of the episode broadcast on the day he died.

MojoJojo

They also said there would be a tribute show at some point.