Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeremy Hardy has died

Started by Jake Thingray, February 01, 2019, 09:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I'm at the ISIHAC Special.
It seems that Jeremy arranged it as a charity event.
There has been some poor quality singing in tribute.

Andy147

I thought Jon Naismith said that they'd arranged it to raise money for Jeremy, and that the money would now go to charities that he supported.

DrGreggles

That might have been it.
There was an annoying woman sitting behind me talking* over a big chunk of his intro, so I didn't catch everything he said.
I knew he'd mentioned the event existed because of Jeremy, so I joined a few dots.

*Apparently it was 6 quid for 2 cokes

idunnosomename

His email round to his friends and colleagues telling them he was on his way out had a link to donate to Syrian refugees (or similar) I heard

Top bloke, still seems unreal he's gone so suddenly.

olliebean

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 24, 2019, 09:43:18 AM
They also said there would be a tribute show at some point.

It's coming next month:

QuoteRadio 4 is to pay tribute to Jeremy Hardy in a two-part series next month.

The programme charts the comedian's sizeable three-decade contribution to the station, and will feature both archive footage and behind-the-scenes material that has never been broadcast before.

It is being made by David Tyler, who produced Hardy's first comedy show for the broadcaster, At Home With The Hardys, in 1987, and his last, Jeremy Hardy Feels It, in 2018, and plenty more in between.

When Jeremy Hardy Spoke To The Nation will be narrated by Hardy's  friend and News Quiz colleague Sandi Toksvig, and is described as 'not quite a biography, not quite a documentary'.

And listeners are warned that it will feature some of Hardy's tuneless singing from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.

Hardy died of cancer, which he had kept secret from the public, on February 1, at the age of 57.

When Jeremy Hardy Spoke To The Nation launches on Radio 4 at 6.30pm on May 16.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/04/24/42875/radio_4_to_pay_tribute_to_jeremy_hardy

squiggle

I think one of Hardy's very first TV appearances he did a wonderful piece about the dullness of his middle-class childhood and how he didn't have any friends - not even an imaginary friend, just an imaginary passing acquaintance. His mother would set a place for him at table, and Jeremy would complain 'but mother, I don't even know Colin that well'.

I thought that was a beautiful piece of understated self-deprecatory comedy in a mode that was quite unusual for the time, and I followed his career with attention and affection from then on. I think he was at his best with that kind of thing, a bit more than the political satire.

idunnosomename

Bump because this was on yesterday and it was very good. No Tostvig fan of course but she is perfect to present this totally non-mawkish look back at this wonderfully funny and principled guy

His rants had such great patter. I loved Speaks to the Nation, didn't know it'd been on since 1993!

(ps that above line about Colin the imaginary passing acquaintance was in it, it's got really old archive stuff)

EbbyVale

Cheers for the nudge.  I was waiting to hear these--I was really saddened by his death.  I have one of his books on the go right now (forget which one, a family history thing) and it's no great shakes as a book, but that very distinctive voice is nonetheless a companionable pleasure.

easytarget

This is really great.
One note on Hallelujah/George Formby - weird that he could sing in tune when he put on an accent.