Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tenacious D

Started by madhair60, February 01, 2019, 02:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Guilty pleasure for me. Really enjoy the HBO series, liked the movie (poorly made as it was) and I really enjoy the albums. I even liked Post-Apocalypto.

How much do you hate Tenacious D?

bgmnts

They're fucking top and anyone who says likewise is a joyless div.

DrGreggles

Quote from: madhair60 on February 01, 2019, 02:28:08 PM
Guilty pleasure for me. Really enjoy the HBO series, liked the movie (poorly made as it was) and I really enjoy the albums. I even liked Post-Apocalypto.

How much do you hate Tenacious D?

They're great fun.
And the songs actually stand up too.

Swoz_MK

The HBO series is wonderful. The montage of JB maniacally unspooling tapes and smashing his house to bits from the first episode ensured I watched them all in one sitting.

madhair60

"Inward Singing" makes me giggle every time I hear it. Jack's enraged outburst is absolutely hilarious to me.

madhair60

Sasquatch: Tell Tenacious D they were kick-ass.
Host: And who should I tell them said that?
Sasquatch: Tell them it was Sasqua- tell them it was a friend.
Host: OK.

(Sasquatch leaves)

(Sasquatch comes back)

Sasquatch: You know what, you'd better tell them it was Sasquatch. They won't know what friend you're talking about.
Host: Ok, sure.
Sasquatch: See ya.

QDRPHNC

Saw them live years ago, with Lee bounding around the stage dressed as Spiderman. Have you seen the three shorts they did for their concerts? I think they're extras on the HBO show DVD. They played different ones at different venues. We got the one where JB is a male prostitute and accidentally sucks off KG.

madhair60

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 01, 2019, 02:51:11 PM
Saw them live years ago, with Lee bounding around the stage dressed as Spiderman. Have you seen the three shorts they did for their concerts? I think they're extras on the HBO show DVD. They played different ones at different venues. We got the one where JB is a male prostitute and accidentally sucks off KG.

Yeah! They're on the first Masterworks DVD. Caught me totally off guard the first time I watched.

Jerzy Bondov

Me and my friend are going to see a gig (not the D, just some man) this weekend and on the way we're going to go to the McDonald's drive through and YOU HAD BETTER BELIEVE we will be laughing about a Junior Western Bacon Chee... a JUNIOR Western Bacon Chee

AsparagusTrevor

I love em, although I couldn't get into Post-Apocaylpto the one and only time I listened to it. I will give it another go though, some day. I too was one of the few who liked the film , plus I have the collectors edition CD of Pick of Destiny somewhere which has a replica Pick of Destiny inside.

Me and an old friend (not Sasquatch) would often duet to the D on drunken nights, Beelzeboss was a particular favourite.

ToneLa

Quote from: bgmnts on February 01, 2019, 02:30:06 PM
They're fucking top and anyone who says likewise is a joyless div.

Tags: rejected bandnames for New Order

a duncandisorderly

can't be doing with the unfunny sack of shit, but I realise I may be alone or at least in a minority in disliking comedy actors who laugh at their own puerile outpourings so that we know when to join in. that's more or less his schtick, whether he's literally laughing or not.
& 'school of rock' was nicked from a yo la tengo video. 'sugarcube', if you insist on detail.

I quite liked JB's turns in 'high fidelity', & 'night in the museum', but things where he's the nominal star- no.

grassbath

As an 11-year old or so just starting to get into rock music and padding around in an oversized Zeppelin tee, their first album was a Derek and Clive style revelation. Mind blown by the video of 'Tribute' on Kerrang!, somehow wangled getting a hold of the CD and was breathless with joy at the passages of apoplectic swearing and general rudeness. By the time of the second album and film I'd sort of grown out of it.

Listening again, pleased to discover the songs are still good and it's still funny.

'Take the six nuggets, and throw two of them away.'

grassbath

Quote from: madhair60 on February 01, 2019, 02:39:40 PM
"Inward Singing" makes me giggle every time I hear it. Jack's enraged outburst is absolutely hilarious to me.

'I'm like a fucking one man band, I'm like a fucking one man band'

bgmnts

The McDonalds sketch is genuinely one of my favourite ever sketches, 15 years later.

Not even joking.

madhair60

Fuck my ass, what else.

famethrowa

Quote from: bgmnts on February 01, 2019, 06:47:29 PM
The McDonalds sketch is genuinely one of my favourite ever sketches, 15 years later.

Not even joking.

Absolutely. I still say "bacon chee" whenever I get the opportunity.

Also JB's pronunciation of "cockass" which comes out as "caucaeus", fantastic.

madhair60

Oh GOD. Come ON with the order. Taking forever

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: madhair60 on February 01, 2019, 02:46:24 PM
Sasquatch: Tell Tenacious D they were kick-ass.
Host: And who should I tell them said that?
Sasquatch: Tell them it was Sasqua- tell them it was a friend.
Host: OK.

(Sasquatch leaves)

(Sasquatch comes back)

Sasquatch: You know what, you'd better tell them it was Sasquatch. They won't know what friend you're talking about.
Host: Ok, sure.
Sasquatch: See ya.

Absolutely classic bit there - as you probably know, the HBO shorts were co-written and exec produced by Bob Odenkirk and David Cross while they were still doing Mr. Show (the first two shorts aired as "bonus material" of sorts following the initial broadcasts of the last two eps of the third season), and if that isn't a vintage Odenkirk/Cross gag... well, someone else would have come up with it, I guess. Also my first indication of just how game and otherwise awesome John C. Reilly is, so there's that.

McChesney Duntz

Fuck my ass, I'd better fix the edit bug with this.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: bgmnts on February 01, 2019, 06:47:29 PM

Not even joking.

Just checked that out. I wish you were joking.

Ringside

When is the second film coming out?

madhair60

Quote from: Ringside on February 07, 2019, 05:30:46 AM
When is the second film coming out?

It's out, on Youtube. It's called Post-Apocalypto :p

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I like Jack Black, he is one of those people whose schtick is unambiguously one-note, but I don't care cause I'm totally on board with it and love it every time he does it. He's sort of the American Matt Berry in that regard (although i am starting to get a bit sick of Mr Berry given the ubiquity of his voice on the radio and telly these days and also that Fridge Raiders advert where he pronounces them as "Frud-JRAI-ders")

Captain Z

Not even the best song in Tenacious D.

Ringside

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2019, 09:03:58 AM
It's out, on Youtube. It's called Post-Apocalypto :p

I'm really gutted that's what it is.

But at least, now I know. Thank you!

Hymenoptera

I luv the D. Late to the party by yonks as I only started listening to their stuff proper a couple years ago, even though I'd been aware of them since I was a kid ("Tribute" got endless play on Kerrang, as did "Wonder Boy" for a stint). I am one of the few who adore POD (I find it's a great drunk-watch and the songs are ace). Also really enjoyed Post-Apocalypto, the Robot in particular had me and my boyfriend in stiches. Got the OST on vinyl for Christmas, if only for "Making Love", the theme song and "Take Us Into Space".

Pancake

Used to mong in front of cable telly all night flicking between the music channels and the number of times I've heard/watched the main one plus the one that goes 'what's your favorite (because they're american) dish, I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from ZANZIBARS!' is probably about 15-20 times, which feels like more than it sounds

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on February 01, 2019, 11:26:23 PM
Oh GOD. Come ON with the order. Taking forever

Take 6 nuggets, and throw 2 of them away.

Jerzy Bondov

We should talk about the hard fucking now. Because I think it's a pretty common complaint