Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Clive Swift has died

Started by Tony Yeboah, February 01, 2019, 04:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Mad that him and Onslow are both gone, and yet Hyacinth is still at large.

Twed

You could say he Roger Lloyd Pack-ed it in, if he were someone else.

lipsink

I'll be interested to see the Doctor Who Magazine tribute.

Malcy

Twed

"the 1920s or whenever the Titanic was" is the best thing I've read all year.

ToneLa

A sun that set too soon.

Goodbye, Clive. I'll bang a domineering old fusspot in your honour matey

marquis_de_sad

Just watched an old episode of Morse that he was in. He's good in it. Dead good. RIP xxx

Twed

Quote from: ToneLa on February 01, 2019, 05:08:00 PM
I'll bang a domineering old fusspot in your honour matey

"CALL ME MOTHER, CALL ME MOTHER"
"Jesus Christ, Hyacinth"
"FUCK MY BUCKET"

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 01, 2019, 05:38:17 PM
"CALL ME MOTHER, CALL ME MOTHER"
"Jesus Christ, Hyacinth"
"FUCK MY BUCKET"

"It's pronounced pussay"

BlodwynPig

"Don't worry, they'll bring me back when I'm gone" (not actual script)

Twed

Hyacinth wipes herself off

"Swift by name, not by nature."

RIP big fella.

ToneLa

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 01, 2019, 06:03:46 PM

"Don't worry, they'll bring me back when I'm gone" (not actual script)

This British remake of Bird Box looks pretty good!

biniput

Liked his turn in the film Arthur by not being as hugely hammy as everyone else. (The ham was enjoyable though).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

What was he playing at in that Doctor Who Magazine interview, though? Fair enough if he didn't want to do it, but did he have to be so unbelievably rude and unpleasant to the journalist (whose questions were perfectly reasonable)? I don't wish to speak ill of the recently deceased but, you know, he doesn't come across as a very nice man in that article. RIP.

The journalist said that that interview couldn't have been published without RTD's permission ... He gave it because Swift had been so difficult on set.

Phil_A

I think Swift was calling their bluff, assuming the interview would be unusable and they wouldn't run it. Except they did.

Good actor, clearly a massive arsehole. RIP

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: tubbsthespidergigolo2 on February 01, 2019, 11:35:20 PM
The journalist said that that interview couldn't have been published without RTD's permission ... He gave it because Swift had been so difficult on set.

Is that right? Interesting.

Shaky

QuoteI know that you all think that this is a big world, this Who business. But it isn't. There are much bigger things than this.

That is a fantastically ominous way to end an interview. It's almost a threat.

Custard

"Next issue: We talk spaceships with Duncan James" really made me laugh

ajsmith2

It's a cringeworthy interview, but I also appreciate the candidness of it, especially at the height of the PRed to perfection RTD 'isn't this all going swimmingly' Dr Who Confidential era. I agree there's something ominous about that last line; maybe not so much a threat as saying 'there are bigger issues at stake here than this diversion you obsess over; wake up or face the consequences' Maybe he was trying to warn us about Brexit?

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: lipsink on February 01, 2019, 04:50:59 PM
I'll be interested to see the Doctor Who Magazine tribute.

His legacy will live forever ha ha.

That interview was the first thing I thought of when I heard.

I heard that originally the character was supposed to come back in Journeys End. However due to Swifts behaviour on set RTD decided against it.

Twed

He preferred to be known as "Fast Clive".

Gregory Torso

Do you think he'll be "keeping up appearances" as an alive person, having someone push him around upright in an umbrella stand on wheels whilst shouting catchphrases like "no dear, that's not the vicar's umbrella, it's Onslow's dildo"

Howj Begg

Brundle-Fly

He was one of those "didn't suffer fools gladly" types, apparently. This shouldn't distract from him being a damn fine actor though.
R.I.P.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shaky on February 02, 2019, 12:49:45 AM
That is a fantastically ominous way to end an interview. It's almost a threat.

Good man, Dr. Who is after all a kiddies show.

Flouncer

The talk page on his Wikipedia leads to some rather amusing vandalism.

Shaky

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 02, 2019, 07:53:33 AM
It's a cringeworthy interview, but I also appreciate the candidness of it, especially at the height of the PRed to perfection RTD 'isn't this all going swimmingly' Dr Who Confidential era. I agree there's something ominous about that last line; maybe not so much a threat as saying 'there are bigger issues at stake here than this diversion you obsess over; wake up or face the consequences' Maybe he was trying to warn us about Brexit?

Perhaps he was just more of a Blake's 7 man.