Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

You're in a bar, don't know what they serve but it's probably the usual stuff

Started by Z, February 02, 2019, 12:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

what drink do you order?

Guinness personally, when they say they don't have it I'll say "errr... stout?" when they say they don't have it I'll just point at the most yellow looking thing.

Z

ToneLa

That's the thing about people in pubs taking ages to choose. How do you not have a vague idea what you want the second you step through the door? Or even leave your gaff?

... Ugh, I sound like I'm doing sit-down comedy. But honestly. "A pint." Of absinthe

Sherman Krank

Deyv

Quote from: ToneLa on February 02, 2019, 12:39:39 PM
That's the thing about people in pubs taking ages to choose. How do you not have a vague idea what you want the second you step through the door? Or even leave your gaff?

I thought in this hypothetical situation the pub wouldn't have whatever it is we wanted. Although I guess they always have Pepsi so I can make do with that if they don't do my first choice (lemonade on the rocks).

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Deyv on February 02, 2019, 12:47:17 PM
I thought in this hypothetical situation the pub wouldn't have whatever it is we wanted. Although I guess they always have Pepsi so I can make do with that if they don't do my first choice (lemonade on the rocks).

"here's your lemonade. the beach is that way. bring the glass back when you've finished, please."

canadagoose

I would say wine, but knowing my luck, it'll be the sort of horrible dreck you find on off-licence shelves covered in a disturbing layer of dust. Lager is probably a safer bet.

ToneLa

If it was a bar I'd never been in before, of course I'd just order "the usual", because I'm a massive, tedious bellend

Icehaven

I ask what cider they have on draught. If it's only Strongbow ideally I'd leave and go elsewhere but if that's not an option I will grudgingly drink it I suppose.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

MidnightShambler

Anybody who doesn't know what they want before they get to the bar is a cunt. And the barmaid in this hypothetical pub is also a cunt for not knowing what you usually drink and either starting to pour it as soon as you approach or not mentioning what it is you usually drink before you open your mouth, manipulating you into ordering it even if you'd fancied a change.

I don't like this fucking place, I'm going next door for one.

bgmnts

I'm definitely a 'don't know what I want until I see the options at the bar' cunt.
I usually opt for a cider or a lager.

rasta-spouse

I'll have a St Clements please. And turn the telly to Sky Sports - Aerobics Oz Style's on!

ToneLa

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2019, 01:21:45 PM
I'm definitely a 'don't know what I want until I see the options at the bar' cunt.
I usually opt for a cider or a lager.

Genuine question, but how do you end up in the bar in the first place? Like, your thought processes.

Mine are usually: I fancy a pint of cider, let's go the pub. Or: Oh, my mates are in the pub, and I could do with a cider. Or, oh, I fancy a cider, and I'm walking past the pub

I'm sure you're alright, gentle bgmnts, but just wondering about the kind of people who go to pubs to order coffee. Maybe they actually just "want to go out". Maybe they genuinely enjoy the atmosphere! Maybe they're really anti-Starbucks. Who knows?

I don't know how the fuck they got my address (think I used the app once) but I got Wetherspoons magazine through my door. It's all about Brexit and it's all about coffee. I'm baffled that, for some, that's a done thing. "Oooh, Spoons do lattes now. I saw the advert next to their analysis of how the liberal elite have sewn up freedom of choice in Britain. I am going to go the pub for an espresso!" Christ, in crematorium get. They do pizzas now as well you know.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 02, 2019, 01:33:41 PM
I'll have a St Clements please. And turn the telly to Sky Sports - Aerobics Oz Style's on!

I remember when we first got Sky in 1993 that it happily coincided with my, ahem, maturing as a young man. As it did for all the rest of the lads at school, the viewing figures must have been through the roof. It was on about 7.30am and by the time we got to school every lad was fucking knackered.

It was good for about three months until I learned how to tune in the German channels and then the Oz Aerobics was vanquished by RTL2. Heady days.

rasta-spouse

I love it when a reference lands. Have a St Clements on me, my good man.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 02, 2019, 01:45:38 PM
I love it when a reference lands. Have a St Clements on me, my good man.

Thanks, don't mind if I do. I'll get my own scampi fries though. I'm single now so I can eat as many packets as I like. And I will.

pancreas

If I don't know what they serve then it's unlikely to be good beer. So G&T or Negroni if they have the fixings.

Cuntbeaks

jobotic

Sebastian Cobb

Nearly every pub in Scotland sells tenants so I usually instinctively ask for it. Two good pubs I drink in (Doublet and Laurieston) don't, so when I go in there and do it I look like a tit.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 02, 2019, 04:26:55 PM
Nearly every pub in Scotland sells tenants so I usually instinctively ask for it. Two good pubs I drink in (Doublet and Laurieston) don't, so when I go in there and do it I look like a tit.
Are they craft beer places? It's hard to imagine a normal Scottish pub with no Tennent's.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on February 02, 2019, 04:28:21 PM
Are they craft beer places? It's hard to imagine a normal Scottish pub with no Tennent's.

No, both fairly old man type places. I think both are freeholds so might not get the best deal. One does amstel and the other peroni.

jobotic

There's a pub I've been going in for years that i like very much and they've been selling decent beers for twenty years or more - local ales, Belgian shit and German lagers. When someone comes in and innocently asks for a Fosters or something I have cringed at the response on occasion, as if they've asked to take a dump on the bar. Be friendly about it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on February 02, 2019, 04:31:08 PM
There's a pub I've been going in for years that i like very much and they've been selling decent beers for twenty years or more - local ales, Belgian shit and German lagers. When someone comes in and innocently asks for a Fosters or something I have cringed at the response on occasion, as if they've asked to take a dump on the bar. Be friendly about it.

In Aberdeen I used to live by a pub by the harbour (Campbells shut now, I think) that used to get folk coming in as the boats turned round. Quite often there would be Norwegians in drinking heroic amounts of booze yet never looking pissed, great bunch of lads.

Anyway one day this aberdonian fella comes off the boat with a couple of women in tow. The ladies find a seat and he gets the round in. He wanted a pint and they went for a bottle of red to share. The barmaid says we've got two house reds to choose from at whe moment and hands him the bottles to look at. He holds them and looks at them pensively.

'that yin's colder, I'll take it!'.