Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

Started by Paaaaul, February 02, 2019, 04:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on February 25, 2019, 09:54:17 AM
But that brings us right back where we started: how can their business model be making $200m movies that have to make $500m to be profitable, when significant numbers of them aren't because they don't, but occasionally one or two a year make $1b, so that's OK?

I don't make the rules.  I'm just informing you of the realities.  Still, Kelvin raised a very valid point here...

Quote from: Kelvin on February 24, 2019, 04:45:38 PM
It is a huge financial risk, hence why they make a so many sequels and follow trends and focus group everything.

Obviously when it works out, the returns are much, much bigger, though.

Alberon

My ten year old nephew told me on Sunday that it was one of the best films ever.

I'm more dubious, I expect it's just a rehash of the anime and like Ghost in the Shell, it'll be reheating old material from far more intelligent films.

I'll watch it on Netflix, I can't see any point of bothering with it before then.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 25, 2019, 03:38:25 PM
I don't make the rules.  I'm just informing you of the realities.  Still, Kelvin raised a very valid point here...

I sound surprisingly Italian in that quote.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Alberon on February 25, 2019, 10:49:27 PM
My ten year old nephew told me on Sunday that it was one of the best films ever.

I'm more dubious, I expect it's just a rehash of the anime and like Ghost in the Shell, it'll be reheating old material from far more intelligent films.

Yeah, not to sound too harsh to your nephew but the day that I start giving credence to the film opinions of 10 year olds, is the day that I put a gun to my head.

popcorn

What's your lower limit for film credibility age, Eddie?

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on February 26, 2019, 03:50:45 AM
What's your lower limit for film credibility age, Eddie?

Hmm... 30, perhaps?  It depends on the person really.  I trust the opinions of Adam from Your Movie Sucks and he's in his 20s, for example.  I place more importance upon a person's individual tastes (i.e. displaying tastes which align with my own for films which we've both seen), than I do their age.  Definitely wouldn't pay any credence to a 10 year old though.  10 year olds have shit taste.  I should know, I used to be one.

popcorn

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on February 26, 2019, 12:12:13 PM
I see. And your upper limit?

If my Dad is anything to go by; 60.  That's around when his taste in films went to absolute shit.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

The conversation about Hollywood economics is more cringe worthy than the dialogue in Alita - good job!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on February 28, 2019, 11:15:13 PM
The conversation about Hollywood economics is more cringe worthy than the dialogue in Alita - good job!

Happy to serve.

*takes a bow*