Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Russian Doll

Started by StewartLeehaslethimselfgo, February 02, 2019, 04:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
''A woman gets caught in a mysterious loop, repeatedly attending the same party and dying at the end of the night, only to awake the next day unharmed.''

Netflix's take on Groundhog Day starring the great Natasha Lyonne

Halfway through at its a good watch

Keebleman

A little known horror flick called Salvage, aka Gruesome (which it isn't particularly), has a very similar premise.  In that film the girl keeps getting murdered.

Norton Canes

Mister Six

Quote from: Keebleman on February 02, 2019, 04:23:41 PM
A little known horror flick called Salvage, aka Gruesome (which it isn't particularly), has a very similar premise.  In that film the girl keeps getting murdered.

Also Happy Death Day, which I haven't seen but is supposed to be quite good.

magval

It is good, and only came out last year. How do they get away with this?!

Ja'moke

Three episodes in, this is great, kinda has a Dead Like Me vibe. Also benefits from the episodes being less than half-an-hour long. Too many Netflix series go for bloated runtimes when they don't need to be - like Sex Education, which I mostly enjoyed, but it could have easily been 30-minute episodes.

Norton Canes

Quote from: magval on February 02, 2019, 08:19:00 PM
It is good, and only came out last year. How do they get away with this?!

Dunno, maybe by doing it better, or at least with a different take. If that other one only came out last year then I guess they were in production simultaneously, albeit different stages.

olliebean

It's very unoriginal (although I'm only up to episode 3, so maybe it takes a surprising turn later on), but the premise is right in my wheelhouse and Lyonne is good enough to make it worth watching.

Ja'moke

I finished it all already. Can't remember going through a series that fast in a while, but it flew by and was really fun. Natasha Lyonne is fantastic; it only took writing herself a role for someone to truly show off her talents.

It seems like it's probably a one and done deal, but I feel like there are a lot of other things that could be explored within this 'universe'. But if it's just a standalone series then that's great too.

phes

I really enjoyed this. Obviously a well worn idea but it goes its own way in time and there's plenty in this love. It's refreshing to watch a show where the writers actually cared about giving the audience some kind of self-contained, season experience. Came away feeling like regardless of whether I pick this up in S2 it was time well spent (if there is one, and I think it was pitched as 3). So many shows now feel like cynical attempts to stretch material out and bleed every minute it can from the audience

phantom_power

That was fucking fantastic. Burned through it in two days and I never have the stamina for that sort of thing any more. A great premise that goes to interesting place, just the right amount of explanation (i.e. not a lot), a captivating central performance and some awesome songs. Starting each loop with Nilsson was a great decision from whoever

DrGreggles

Yes, very much on board with this.

PlanktonSideburns

Well good this, she's great in it.

Proof that just cos something has psychedelic overtones it doesn't have to be hacky lazy shit with under written characters

MANIAC

BlodwynPig

Enjoyed it until Allan and the subsequent last two episodes were Guardian reading liberal elite wank fodder.

Small Man Big Horse

I really liked it too, I kind of hope it's one and done, or if it does come back it'll be with different characters and a very different story. I also hope that it's a success so Netflix give Lyonne, Poehler and Headland all the money they require to make whatever they want.

kalowski

The dialogue is fucking awful and the young Bette Middler does my fucking head in.

I usually trust you lot, so it better get better than eps 1 and 2.

Rev+

It doesn't properly kick off until the end of the third episode, so give it a bit more time.

Thought this was great, and nowhere near as similar to things like Groundhog Day or Happy Death Day as the synopsis makes it sound - it gets most of the 'learning the pattern' stuff out of the way very early, and avoids making the restarts a format.  In another universe, it'd have been a death at the end of each episode.

If that's true about it being pitched as a three series thing it sort of cheapens it a bit.  Surely we're done here.

gib

i really enjoyed it and was surprised how often it made me laugh

CaledonianGonzo

Anyone got a view or explanation of the parade in the final scene?

gib

Quote from: Rev+ on February 08, 2019, 11:40:11 PMIf that's true about it being pitched as a three series thing it sort of cheapens it a bit.  Surely we're done here.

Might work ok with completely new characters each season.

gib

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 08, 2019, 11:44:44 PM

no sorry i watched it all in a day so i watched the last one as i fell asleep, really wish i could be more help.

CaledonianGonzo

I think I get the timeline split thing - and the parade is definitely foreshadowed by Horse the homeless guy putting on a mask - but otherwise that bit left me a wee bit puzzled.

gib

yes there was a weird parade now you mention it, not sure what any of that was about

she knew Horse the first time round didn't she? 'Hey don't i know you?' Maybe that was a clue.

BlodwynPig

Don't get all Twin Peaks - it was just a Liberal New Yorker's wank fantasy where the outsiders are aloof, and wacky,  and whacked out.

kalowski

Quote from: Rev+ on February 08, 2019, 11:40:11 PM
It doesn't properly kick off until the end of the third episode, so give it a bit more time.
OK. Will watch more tonight, but the dialogue and characters need to improve mightily.

phantom_power

Quote from: gib on February 09, 2019, 12:04:17 AM
yes there was a weird parade now you mention it, not sure what any of that was about

she knew Horse the first time round didn't she? 'Hey don't i know you?' Maybe that was a clue.

I thought that it suggested her "first" death wasn't actually her first, but they never went further with it. Perhaps the next series might expand on the whole thing but I hope not

olliebean

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 08, 2019, 11:44:44 PM

Apparently (although I guess this is just someone's opinion) the parade somehow represents the two timelines re-combining. Can't be arsed to watch it again to check but apparently if you look at their costumes at the end there's one of them from each of the timelines together in the one scene.

I don't know why it needed a parade, though.

steveh

I thought this was great without even considering how impressive the logistics of both script and production were.

How they run this over three planned series I have no idea.

Ja'moke

Quote from: olliebean on February 09, 2019, 11:00:26 AM
Apparently (although I guess this is just someone's opinion) the parade somehow represents the two timelines re-combining. Can't be arsed to watch it again to check but apparently if you look at their costumes at the end there's one of them from each of the timelines together in the one scene.

I don't know why it needed a parade, though.

Yeah, the two versions of Nadia & Alan pass each other in that parade, and I think get swapped in the melee, so that the Nadia & Alan that remember what happened are back together.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on February 09, 2019, 10:31:21 AM
I thought that it suggested her "first" death wasn't actually her first, but they never went further with it. Perhaps the next series might expand on the whole thing but I hope not

Christ. Netflix hellhole.