Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:00:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bob Mortimer is on Desert Island Discs tomorrow

Started by Tony Yeboah, February 02, 2019, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He's a fan of the Smiths and the Beautiful South - and I think he shares Jim's love of hairy '70s rock - but apart from that I'm not sure.

gmoney

arpster

excellent....shame its not Kirsty Young hosting though...lets the guests speak without chatting shite over the top of them, hope Lauren Laverne tries to curb her natural instinct to do just that

Deyv

Definitely Babybird, yeah. He's got a section in that book Stephen Jones put out about himself. And he filled in, miming, for Dave Stead, the Beautiful South drummer, I think I read in the South biography from the end of the 90s.

Looking forward to this, big fan of Bob, mild fan of Desert Island Discs.

rasta-spouse

Is it Kirsty Wark doing the interviewing? She seems humourless and doesn't seem to understand comedians.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: gmoney on February 02, 2019, 05:07:44 PM
He'll pick something by Babybird.

Quote from: Deyv on February 02, 2019, 05:21:08 PM
Definitely Babybird, yeah.

Of course! How could I forget? He's mentioned on a few occasions that Jones is his favourite songwriter.

Quote from: arpster on February 02, 2019, 05:12:35 PM
excellent....shame its not Kirsty Young hosting though...lets the guests speak without chatting shite over the top of them, hope Lauren Laverne tries to curb her natural instinct to do just that

Eh? Laverne doesn't yammer over folk while interviewing them on the radio, that's not her style at all.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 02, 2019, 05:55:29 PM
Of course! How could I forget? He's mentioned on a few occasions that Jones is his favourite songwriter.

Oh, wow. Mine too. As if Bob could go any higher in my estimation.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 02, 2019, 05:23:54 PM
Is it Kirsty Wark doing the interviewing? She seems humourless and doesn't seem to understand comedians.

Yes, making her debut alongside Kirstie Alley, Kirstie Allsopp and John Shuttleworth's dog.

rasta-spouse

I meant Kirsty Young. Kirsty Wark is cool beans (re: her thriller dance on newsnight). 

jobotic

Only heard the first half as I had to go out, but it was predictably lovely. I love Bob, even if I really don't share his taste in music (from what I heard). And he loves Jim.

what the fuck is that weird breathy voice Lauren Laverne is putting on

The Bumlord

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on February 03, 2019, 08:02:34 PM

Eh? Sounds like her voice to me.

Also Bob is such a lovely boy. A meaty hero.

Jittlebags

"daft kids" and "Cocroache King". Nice. I didn't realise it was Bob when I was listening to it. He must have a couple of Bobs to call on.

Twed

Lovely from the start, hearing that he lives near Vic and sees him most days.

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on February 03, 2019, 08:02:34 PM

She isn't affecting a weird breathy voice, you spooky fucking doyle, that's how she speaks.

Anyway, that was a lovely episode.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah didn't sound any different.

Or at least it was nowhere near as weird as the newsreader voice Jo Whiley did when doing an episode of panorama. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=735&v=gwoPTYTLcRg unless she was just letting the mask slip a little?

That was a very enjoyable listen, always nice to dip back into the snow when someone like that is on it. Sadly though, Stephen Jones must be a little gutted.

Nowhere Man

Bob Mortimer has to be one of the most life affirming people ever, top bloke. I hope he's here for a long good while still.

I'm not generally bothered about meeting celebrities but he'd be fantastic to have a quiet drink with in a little country pub wouldn't he?

neardark

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 04, 2019, 03:26:36 AM
Yeah didn't sound any different.

Or at least it was nowhere near as weird as the newsreader voice Jo Whiley did when doing an episode of panorama. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=735&v=gwoPTYTLcRg unless she was just letting the mask slip a little?

That was a very enjoyable listen, always nice to dip back into the snow when someone like that is on it. Sadly though, Stephen Jones must be a little gutted.

That just sounds like Jo Whiley.