Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:25:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 02, 2019, 11:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

According to the AV Club they're finally making a sequel to Groundhog Day, but it's in the form of a PS4 VR game where you play Phil Connors Jnr, who like his dear old papa has been caught in a time loop where he repeats the same day over and over again. There's a trailer out for it too, and it looks appalling! https://news.avclub.com/oh-god-why-sony-announces-a-virtual-reality-groundhog-1832290827#_ga=2.224090771.943388187.1549148320-533856969.1497638672

So does anyone think this is a good idea? And if so, what the living fuck?

ToneLa

I'll just add this to my list of reasons to die.

It being a VR game - they just want to reuse the same assets over and over right?

Replies From View

At least it's a game and not a film.  I would be sad if there was a Groundhog Day 2 film.

Captain Z

It would be like Groundhog Day all over again.

ToneLa

I hope one of the review headlines is "more of the same"

bgmnts

It's as if Sony are so used to making abysmal films they feel the need to spread it across other mediums.

NoSleep

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 02, 2019, 11:05:03 PM
According to the AV Club they're finally making a sequel to Groundhog Day, but it's in the form of a PS4 VR game where you play Phil Connors Jnr, who like his dear old papa has been caught in a time loop where he repeats the same day over and over again. There's a trailer out for it too, and it looks appalling! https://news.avclub.com/oh-god-why-sony-announces-a-virtual-reality-groundhog-1832290827#_ga=2.224090771.943388187.1549148320-533856969.1497638672

So does anyone think this is a good idea? And if so, what the living fuck?

They should have gone for making a game of 12.01 P.M. the (much darker, sci-fi) film whose makers considered suing Groundhog Day for taking the core idea of their own film; except the protagonist only has a single hour looping. Would make a fascinating game, with GTA type sandbox play area, newspapers, libraries, people, shops, telephones, vehicles, weapons, etc that can lead you to answers.
I quite like the idea of time-travel based games, having played the two games by Junko Kawano (best known for the RPG series Suikoden); Time Hollow (NDS) & Shadow Of Memories(PS2).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Zelda: Majora's Mask also did the time loop mystery thing. Then again, aren't nearly all games about being trapped in a cycle until you get everything right?

greenman

That the character looks like a detestable dreamworks "xtreme" creation doesn't help either unless the aim of the game is to commit suicide in ever possible way.

Mister Six

Quote from: NoSleep on February 03, 2019, 06:12:25 PM
They should have gone for making a game of 12.01 P.M. the (much darker, sci-fi) film whose makers considered suing Groundhog Day for taking the core idea of their own film; except the protagonist only has a single hour looping. Would make a fascinating game, with GTA type sandbox play area, newspapers, libraries, people, shops, telephones, vehicles, weapons, etc that can lead you to answers.
I quite like the idea of time-travel based games, having played the two games by Junko Kawano (best known for the RPG series Suikoden); Time Hollow (NDS) & Shadow Of Memories(PS2).

Yeah, an hour's limit (or less) would allow for a meticulously detailed scripted world. Would be very cool.

Twed

Big shitty horse cocks that can't cum.

Mister Six

St_Eddie

That trailer is beyond awful.  Urgh!  I predict that the story will be utter shit and the voice acting extremely grating.  However, the developer is Tequila Works, who made The Sexy Brutale and that game is magnificent (and also revolves around some immensely clever time manipulation puzzles), so I think that the gameplay itself will be pretty neat.  Doesn't mean that this isn't a terrible idea though, because it is.

You need to check out the aforementioned The Sexy Brutale.  It's got a very steep learning curve but once it clicks, it reveals itself to be an all time classic.  It's a masterpiece.

bgmnts

I second the Sexy Brutale recommendation.

Get that, don't get this.

SavageHedgehog

I thought movie tie-in/cash-in games more or less stopped being a thing years ago?

Replies From View

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on February 04, 2019, 05:27:32 PM
I thought movie tie-in/cash-in games more or less stopped being a thing years ago?

Well there was an original-cast Ghostbusters one quite recently; maybe an Alien one, too.

Not sure about Mary Poppins Returns, though.  And I can't even remember what other films have come out.

NoSleep

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on February 04, 2019, 05:27:32 PM

This isn't really a movie tie-in in that respect. Nor is it the first game to model itself on a movie years after the fact (Evil Dead: Hail To The King, Evil Dead: A Fistful Of Boomstick, The Warriors, The Thing, Alien Resurrection*). The games tend to be much better than a tie-in because they're not rushing to get it out in tandem to the film. Somebody has come to the conclusion that said film would make a cool game (usually).

*Alien Resurrection did start out as a tie-in but was three years in the making during which time they tore everything down and started again.

Shit Good Nose

They should have gone for making a game of 12.01 P.M. the (much darker, sci-fi) film whose makers considered suing Groundhog Day for taking the core idea of their own film; except the protagonist only has a single hour looping.

But they didn't pursue the legal action because they realised Groundhog Day is infinitely better.  As is the original short adaptation...

Plus, beyond the similarities of the (very) basic premise, it's not that similar really.

But this...this is obviously shit for cunts.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 04, 2019, 06:33:32 PM
But they didn't pursue the legal action because they realised Groundhog Day is infinitely better.  As is the original short adaptation...

Infinitely better? Nah. But which one are you talking about; the 1990 one (never seen this) or the 1993 one? I saw the 1993 TV film after seeing Groundhog Day (which I liked) and thought it was a much more gripping tale, albeit shorter, bleaker, void of feelgood factor; perhaps all points in its favour.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: NoSleep on February 04, 2019, 06:45:48 PM
Infinitely better? Nah. But which one are you talking about; the 1990 one (never seen this) or the 1993 one? I saw the 1993 TV film after seeing Groundhog Day (which I liked) and thought it was a much more gripping tale, albeit shorter, bleaker, void of feelgood factor; perhaps all points in its favour.

Both - Jack Sholder's feature length TV movie, and the original short with Kurtwood Smith (which was on YouTube last time I looked - I can recommend it).

Sholder's is okay, but it reeks of made-for-TV and suffers from the usual Sholder tropes - budget running out on screen, not knowing what to do with his bigger name actors, and significant cheese.  The original short is MUCH better - it is to Groundhog Day what Fail-Safe is to Dr Strangelove - but Groundhog Day is just a better film all around.

ToneLa

Fuckin lazy conceit has still got me irked. So It's his kid, yeah? So, like getting stuck in a time loop is genetic. Passed on through DNA.

Or maybe it'll just be handwaved

NoSleep

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 04, 2019, 07:04:27 PM
Both - Jack Sholder's feature length TV movie, and the original short with Kurtwood Smith (which was on YouTube last time I looked - I can recommend it).

Sholder's is okay, but it reeks of made-for-TV and suffers from the usual Sholder tropes - budget running out on screen, not knowing what to do with his bigger name actors, and significant cheese.  The original short is MUCH better - it is to Groundhog Day what Fail-Safe is to Dr Strangelove - but Groundhog Day is just a better film all around.

Sorry, I meant the short with Kurtwood Smith, from 1990 (which I saw on TV). I love it, anyway.

Shit Good Nose

Apologies - I thought you were talking about the later TV one.

Yeah, the short is excellent.

NoSleep

The short was made for TV, too, according to Kurtwood Smith's wiki. Bottom line is that it's memorable, whereas Groundhog Day has slipped into a vague recollection about piano lessons.

Replies From View

NoSleep

Quote from: Replies From View on February 04, 2019, 07:25:00 PM
Bedknobs and Broomsticks had a sequel?

Yeah, there was a change of direction, but they kept the magic. They even added a bit of time travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkqagOUaPM

ToneLa

Quote from: Replies From View on February 04, 2019, 07:25:00 PM
Bedknobs and Broomsticks had a sequel?

There was a third film too. For a Few Knobs More

Banned in England.

NoSleep

Almost forgot to mention Radiant Historia (NDS) which I rate as one of the best RPG games I've played (with lots of timeline shenanigans and subplots). There's an updated version of it for the 3DS, too.

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 03, 2019, 09:55:05 PM
You need to check out the aforementioned The Sexy Brutale.  It's got a very steep learning curve but once it clicks, it reveals itself to be an all time classic.  It's a masterpiece.

I need to buy a PS4 first, which is a possibility with Shenmue 3 imminent.

St_Eddie

Quote from: NoSleep on February 04, 2019, 08:52:50 PM
Almost forgot to mention Radiant Historia (NDS) which I rate as one of the best RPG games I've played (with lots of timeline shenanigans and subplots). There's an updated version of it for the 3DS, too.

If we're also recommending RPGs with time travel shenanigans, then it's kind of mandatory to give a respectful nod towards Chrono Trigger.

Quote from: NoSleep on February 04, 2019, 08:52:50 PMI need to buy a PS4 first, which is a possibility with Shenmue 3 imminent.

The Sexy Brutale is on PC too, should you possess a capable enough system (it's not a particularly demanding game, graphics wise).

NoSleep

Mac only here - if it's recent it may not run well on Crossover. And good call about Chrono Trigger. I've played the SNES version on emulator as well as the DS version; it has one of the best music scores of any game as well as being a great game. The time travel shenanigins in Radiant Historia are integral to the game whereas it's just part of the story in Chrono Trigger in comparison (like there's timewarps in Vandal Hearts; more for plot twists than gameplay).