Author Topic: Sex Education (Netflix comedy)  (Read 382 times)

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
Sex Education (Netflix comedy)
« on: February 03, 2019, 04:57:04 PM »
Has anyone seen this?
I can't help but think it has been mis-promoted.
I thought it was some borderline American Pie/Inbetweeners gross out comedy.
Turns out it's much better than that.
It has a lot of heart, the acting is really good (you feel that we'll be seeing much more of the young cast) and while it's not laugh-out-loud funny, it is highly entertaining.
Gillian Anderson is in it, and similar to one her previous series - Hannibal, it is filmed in a stylish way that gives it an 'out of time' feel.
Asa Butterfield and Emma Mackey are great as the leads. Utterly convincing as two people cautiously dancing around that friends/couple line.
Mackey has a Margot Robbie/Eva Green vibe, so that probably helps.

I hope that season two comes out soon, I kinda regret binging it.

Ja'moke

• based on the novel Push by Sapphire
    • Inside Survivor
Re: Sex Education (Netflix comedy)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 05:01:13 PM »
It's really enjoyable, some top-notch performances, and quite sweet in places. I just feel it would have benefited from shorter episodes. A comedy series like this doesn't need 50+ minute episodes.

remedial_gash

• Evil green pig.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:45:53 PM »
Pretty much binged it over the course of one night, while suffering from the aftermath of another kind of binge. I can't for the life of me understand why it was billed as a comedy, but it was an amiable teen drama/thing with some cracking actors.

The setting was weirdly compelling with its strange mid-atlantic mix of  British grittiness and weird anachronistic American iconography - school jackets and swim meets? Didn't even recognise Scully till the second episode, and generally thought the cast top notch, the thug/bully/Herring was a stand out as a thoroughly believable shit-bag.

McFlymo

• Pre-"Post Reply" Anxiety
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 06:47:09 PM »
Episodes / Seasons being too long is always my biggest criticism of Netflix shows. There's always unnecessary padding and fluff that can ruin these otherwise brilliant shows. But I really enjoyed Sex Education! I'd happily watch several more seasons, as the characters, while not all massively original, feel fleshed out and believable. I love that the setting is slightly fictional (80s feel but with mobile phones and internet and a college that seems very American, but set in some posh part of Engerland).