Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:14:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inserting a Bit of Someone Else's Song in a Live Version of Your Own

Started by DrGreggles, February 03, 2019, 08:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Snappy title, eh?

Noticed this happening quite a lot - and it's not always dreadful.

The Divine Comedy ‎ - At The Indie Disco
https://youtu.be/Gdp66_fBbVk?t=149

Barenaked Ladies - The King of Bedside Manor
https://youtu.be/_snpe3QmzCc?t=54

Faith No More - Malpractice
https://youtu.be/quYPDqDh8mA?t=700

rue the polywhirl

Barenaked Ladies quote a bit of Housemartins' Happy Hour in their track Hello City except it's studio and not live, and I find that to be the apex of this particular artform.

Faith No More shove a bit of Pump Up The Jam in their Live at Brixton 1989 show. Similary godlike in their ability to randomy quote goofy, leftfield songs into their set. I can see them being the two heaviest heavy-hitters when it comes to this category.

If Stephen Page collabed with Faith No More and they all cross-dressed you would get Faith Ladies and if Jim Martin were to join the current Barenaked Ladies line-up you would get Barenaked No More?

the science eel

fucking ponderous

Norton Canes

NoSleep

Beck quotes Jingle Bells in Hotwax for "I get down, I get down, I get down all the way."

NoSleep

Keebleman

I was at a Tears for Fears gig last night (stewarding) and they did this.  Can't recall the song now but it was very well known and not TFF.  Plus they played Creep.

niat

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 04, 2019, 11:33:38 AM

Heaven Is Place On Earth & Living On A Prayer got rinsed on their live sets.

You mean You Give Love a Bad Name, not Living on a Prayer.

Dirty Boy

I think Faith No More have to take the crown for this. Have a look at this timely article under ad-libs (and there's many others that aren't even included here).

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 04, 2019, 11:33:38 AM

Heaven Is Place On Earth & Living On A Prayer got rinsed on their live sets.

They are both played during Halcyon

non capisco

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 04, 2019, 02:45:49 PM
I think Faith No More have to take the crown for this. Have a look at this timely article under ad-libs (and there's many others that aren't even included here).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v2bniFBLwc

A Small VIC-tory. (Like the Queen Vic, the pub from Eastenders)

Brundle-Fly

purlieu

The Manics do it a lot. Motown Junk normally starts with Baby Love being an obvious one. They also did it in the studio sometimes, with Dixie closing Elvis Impersonator.

Sebastian Cobb

Live and recorded: Orange Juice - Rip it Up - Buzzcocks Boredom.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 03, 2019, 08:39:49 PM
Orbital have a black belt in this.
This being the main reason why i turned my back on them. That and the fact all their new stuff was gash.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Keebleman on February 04, 2019, 10:53:41 AM
I was at a Tears for Fears gig last night (stewarding) and they did this.  Can't recall the song now but it was very well known and not TFF.  Plus they played Creep.
Tears for Fears have had 'Creep' in the setlist since Radiohead supported them/him on a US tour back in the 1990s. Apparently, the Oxford lads were treated like shite by the TfF road crew and thought his version of the song was laughable as he changed the lyric to "I'm so fucking special". Surprised now they're a duo again that they still play it.

Gulftastic

The Bangles like to mash up Walk Like An Egyptian and Mrs Robinson.

Quote from: Special K on February 04, 2019, 03:27:06 PM
They are both played during Halcyon

Sorry, my mistake - I was thinking you meant the Opus III sample.

Quote from: Keebleman on February 04, 2019, 10:53:41 AM

From my hazy, drunken recollection of them at Hyde Park a couple of years back I believe they put a bit of Let 'Em In by Wings into one of their songs.

Keebleman

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 05, 2019, 12:27:36 PM
From my hazy, drunken recollection of them at Hyde Park a couple of years back I believe they put a bit of Let 'Em In by Wings into one of their songs.

Ding!  That's the one!

SpiderChrist

Elvis Costello - The Greatest Thing & The Smiths - Rusholme Ruffians both had Presley's His Latest Flame incorporated into them, as I recall.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Panbaams on February 05, 2019, 09:33:04 AM
The Brian Jonestown Massacre: "Hide and Seek"

was gonna be my suggestion too.  ft MY MATE on bass there (always have to get that pathetic boast in whenever he's vaguely mentioned)