Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:58:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apex Legends - F2P Battle Royale game by Titanfall developers [split topic]

Started by Operty1, February 04, 2019, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

Talking of Battle Royale games, Respawn are rumoured to be dropping some kind of free to play BR Titanfall game today over Xbox PC and PS4.

Lots of rumours, few details, but Titanfall 2 was one of the best FPS recently, so if true this should be something!! Rumoured title -  Apex Legends.

[renamed - BAdmin]

Operty1

Barry Admin

Downloading it now. I've got all the BR I need with CoD: Blackout, but gotta try anything the Respawn lads put out, this could be amazing, and I miss the old advanced movement in CoD. Big fan of wall-running and that.

Anyone tried it yet?

Barry Admin

No wall-running, whhhhyyyyyyy

Seems alright, smooth and fast as you'd expect. Looks nice, even though I'm still downloading the hi-res textures. First match seemed a bit sparse though, a bit slow. The training didn't go into all the gear either, but it seems like it's just attachments and equipments with coloured rarity values ala WoW (or Fortnite).

I'll give it another few goes and see.

BeardFaceMan

No wall-running, no double jumps, no titans. And this is Titanfall how? Super disappointed they stopped development of Titanfall 3 for a fad. I'll still be downloading it and giving it a go though. When it comes to multiplayer FPS, the 2 Titanfall games are modern classics, they're that good so hopefully there'll be enough here to enjoy.

BeardFaceMan

Nah, not for me I'm afraid. Bugger, I was really wanting to like this. I might have had more of a go at it if you could play solo, having to play in a trio all the time is shitty because teammates don't seem to understand the concept of reviving. Fuck you EA for taking an amazing, ground-breaking FPS series and turning it into a FTP microtransactionfest. I thought bad things were coming for the series when EA bought Respawn but I didn't think they'd stop Titanfall 3 altogether and put out something like this.

Barry Admin

Yeah it's kind of underwhelming initially. Only 60 players makes it slow, and no solos only trios is annoying. And you do end up having to stay in the match for a while, just to see if you do get revived. Which slows it down further!

I'll give it another few goes and keep an eye on patches, but so far I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be playing Blackout instead.

Barry Admin

I dunno, I think I'm gonna stick with it for a bit, it is kind of intriguing. There's a lot of hype around it, a million unique players already, streamers all creaming themselves.

It does feel really nice, but yeah I miss the advanced movement so much. Probably better if you regularly play with other people, but the ping system is good for communication. It's very polished, great launch. They have a full year one roadmap as well, which players really seem to want these days. A lot of players are really into this whole "games as a service" thing, and want to know there will be constant content updates.

Thursday

Will give it a try eventually but the seeming lack of any Titanfall elements has dulled my enthusiasm. One character has a grappling hook though, right?

biggytitbo

Ahh great no Titanfall 3. 2 was as good a single player as everyone says, but clearly not enough lootbox possibilities or EA.

Thursday

Gave it a few go's several bad starts and when I finally got a decent one I failed to kill someone after shooting them for 2 years. I know it's going to be a bit longer in a game like this but eh just didn't like the feel of it. Just hard to have a good sense of what's going on around you.

Might give it another go sometime with some people from my Destiny raid group and that'll help a lot, but I can't really see this working as a solo game.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah making you play in a team of three has fucked it for playing solo. Other than the weapons I'm not sure how this is connected to Titanfall at all, movement, TTK, it all feels different. The fact that a million people were on it within a few hours is a testament to how popular and loved the franchise is (or was), baffling they'd choose to spunk away their development work on a sequel on this instead. So now either this game dies and we get no TF3 or this game does really well and we get TF3 complete with lots of microtransactions and season passes and map packs because they've done it before and thats what he people want. Made it all the more odd why Respawn would sell to EA when their attitudes towards games were seemingly completely different, EA caring about microtransactions and games as service and paying to win and milking gamers for all the cash they can while Respawn wanted none of that, no season passes, no dlc, no fracturing the playerbase. But there are now rumours that it was Respawn who went to EA with the idea of pivoting development to make a FTP battle royale game so who knows what the fuck is going on any more?

I dunno, it may be good for a battle royale game, I don't care for the genre so I wouldnt know, but holy fuck it sucks big shitty balls as a Titanfall game.

Barry Admin

It's not a Titanfall game though, it's just set in the universe. And sadly I think the game has been way more popular that TF ever was, because it's a blend of Overwatch and BR games. Let's not forget that TF2 bombed horrible, partly because of being released between CoD and Battlefield. Respawn also seem to have stuck to their guns somewhat with regards unlocks - it's all cosmetics, it can (I think) all be unlocked by playing instead of paying.

I understand people being bummed about the lack of a new Titanfall game - I am too - but I think people need to take this game in its own merits. At this early stage it's also looking like being a hit, so could bring a lot of attention and interest to the TF universe for future games.

Haven't checked the road map, but I'd be shocked if a solo mode doesn't show up soon.

BeardFaceMan

The release date was the only thing that hurt it, it was one of those rare games where the critics and gamers had very little bad to say about it, if it had been released a few months earlier or later it would have sold a lot better. Bombed horribly is a bit harsh though, it still sold well, those 1 million people are not turning up purely because its a battle royale game, it's the Titanfall name that's bringing them in, lots of BR bandwagon-jumping games get released that don't get anywhere near those numbers.

There was already interest in a future Titanfall game, that's why Respawn were working on it. And when they pivoted to this the development on TF3 stopped. The more I think about it, I'd be suprised if we saw another proper TF game, if we do it won't be for a good while, this seems to be their focus now. What's going to happen, the battle royale game is going to do so well that they're going to say "For our next game, lets dump the thing we just made a shit ton of money from and go back to doing the critically acclaimed game we didn't make as much money from instead"?

Had a look at the roadmap, all it mentions are new legends, new weapons, new loot and something called a battle pass. So just stuff for you to buy, basically. No mention of single player mode, I'd honestly be shocked if a solo mode did show, it seems the 3 man team is a pretty conscious game design decision (not much point having a healer character if you're not playing on a team). Doesn't mention new maps in the roadmap, I played 3 games earlier, all on the same map. Is there just the one or was I just unlucky?

biggytitbo

It might just be a trend but as it is ea just arent very interested in single player games are they (or even normal games at all, where they make a game and you buy it and they make a profit sellijg the game), due to the lack of continuous revenue opportunities. They will literally destroy everything they have in the pursuit of wringing more money out of their properties. This is the studio that somehow managed to fuck up the star wars license, so their we  destructive impulse shouldn't be underestimated.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 06, 2019, 07:29:47 AM
It might just be a trend but as it is ea just arent very interested in single player games are they (or even normal games at all, where they make a game and you buy it and they make a profit sellijg the game), due to the lack of continuous revenue opportunities. They will literally destroy everything they have in the pursuit of wringing more money out of their properties. This is the studio that somehow managed to fuck up the star wars license, so their we  destructive impulse shouldn't be underestimated.

ANTHEM ANTHEM BUY ANTHEM.

They have wrecked every good studio making interesting or fun games havent they?

Barry Admin

I dunno, I still kind of like this and want to get better at it. It does have a different feeling to it than other BR games, and the arena vibe is very well done, and harks back to Quake and Unreal Tournament in a way. The sliding mechanic is great, really fun. I just still find it hard to see where the targets actually are, so I've got a few kills, but am nowhere near where I want to be with this game yet. And yet, I stick it on and have what feels like an adventure with some randoms. The pace and the fact that people mostly do stick to their squad makes it feel really fun. I avoided it all day and played Vermintide 2 instead, but then I stuck a stream on, heard the music that plays as you fly into the arena... and I was like, damn, I gotta play that again, that music is great.

I mean I think there's a pretty high skill ceiling, and people have only begun to figure out synergies and stuff. I was just in a match with a decent wraith, and we were using the portals to zip about - I've seen those used really effectively in battle to rush people.

Barry Admin

Second place, just me left, it's frantic, I die. RIP. Heart was in my mouth, Jesus Christ.

BeardFaceMan

Nope, tried this again on the Xbox and it's boring as shit. First match I finished 3rd, lasted 20 minutes and only ever saw 2 people, killing one and being killed by the other. 2nd match also 20 minutes, finished 5th and only saw one other person who shot me. Don't understand the appeal of these games at all, all I seem to do is wander around in the direction of the circle looking for people to engage and never finding any. Wandering about for 20 minutes to have a single one-on-one encounter that lasts all of 5 seconds? No thanks.

Barry Admin

FIRST WIN!

Man I dunno, it's definitrly slower but also gets incredibly tense as you go along, that was wild right there. Down to just mine and another squad again, I pick up a gold sniper from a supply pod and a fucking wraith comes screaming towards me. I nail a shot on her downed squad member, and manage to get a shot into the wraith as she rushed towards me, but her armour swallows it up and I get shot gunned. Then our last squad member finishes her off for the win. My heart is still pounding from it.

Barry Admin

No one else actually enjoying this? I think it's fucking great. I've changed the aiming about a bit and feel slightly more comfortable now, and I'm learning better traversal, such as being able to scale high walls and even peek over them. It just feels great, the UI is superb, they just need to make the minimap rotate with you, and change the health and ordnance menus as they're currently garbage.

I love also that it was developed in secrecy and just realeased as a surprise. It's kept a lot of the "but it's not Titanfall 3!" moaning to a minimum, and meant people have just given it a try. Very smooth launch too, really impressive work.

Operty1

Looking forward to playing this at the weekend, it seems to have really taken off.

What i like about these type of BR games (Blackout, PUBG) is the tension generated the longer you last. Getting into the last 10, with the circle closing, really does play with your fight/flight instinct, and knock any strategy you were playing to out of the window. That final 1 on 1 can have you screaming!

The criticisms i've read seem to be revolving around lack of solo play and things like no wall running etc, I can see these things being patched in as the game moves forward.

Barry Admin

Totally agree with you. They've said no to wall running though, as they want the combat to be tighter and in a way more predictable and tense. Like if you see someone heading a certain direction, they want you to broadly know what his options are. The way they explained it was very good and made a lot of sense. Plus I'm sure they want to encourage people to stick together and play as a squad, and wall running everywhere would bollocks that up. But as mentioned, there's advanced way of getting round as there is in the Titanfall games, and in any Source game.

I just went HAM and killed three or four guys after they'd downed my squad right after we jumped in. Brought them back and felt like a hero. Moments like that are what it's all about, and you can speed up the game by dropping in hot zones or on the supply ship.

Thursday

I had a few more goes, It's good, I'm just terrible at it but I wish it well, respawn deserve it.

Playing on PC, and enjoying this - but that's probably helped a lot by only playing with my IRL friend so far. I played a decent amount of PUBG, not a fan of the building in Fortnite, and not a CoD fan, so never even bothered with Blackout. This is fun, although a fairly high learning curve, as I'm an FPS player, it's usually pretty simple mechanics (Battlefield and CS).

brat-sampson

First BR game I've ever actually tried for reals (aside from 1 Fortnite match where I spent most of my time dancing on platforms, because that was the goal.)

First match turned into lag and both my squadmates essentially despawned. Second match... We won! It did feel really tense towards the end, even though I'm bad at shooters and didn't even know my character's abilities going in. Got shot to bits eventually but the final circle was essentially over a small canyon stream/waterfall, so things got messy. Movement and shooting feels great, though I don't really have a handle on how much health people have. It's cool that it spits numbers at you etc, but I had no frame of reference for if I was doing chunks of health or chip damage. I mean, I assume it was a fair bit as I died fairly quickly, but hey, we won!

I might just retire from BR now.

Barry Admin

Nice one! I just had my second win, woohoooo! Also as support, Pathfinder first time, Lifeline this time. Still standing at the end of the match, in fact I didn't go down at all, but both my teammates did at the start, so I got the badge for reviving both of them too. So a bad start and a lot of pressure on me, I got some kills picking their beacons up and had people shooting at me as I ran to respawn them. So I'm glad they didn't quit out!  One of them had unlocked Caustic, and his gas bombs proved to be very clutch in the last circles. Lifelines care package was really handy for getting them geared up again too. Yeah anyway, loving this game, really glad to get a couple of wins under my belt.

Barry Admin

As far as max health goes, you have 100 HP, and can have 4 armour at 25 Hp each, so 200 max.

When you hit someone, the colour of the damage numbers will tell you the rarity value of their armour.

Barry Admin

I just can't seem to get better at this game, I'm used to being good at shooters, but lose so many engagements in this. I know the mechanics and what I should be doing, but I just rarely get it to click. Mind you, I've not been playing it that much, and it's absolutely full of sweaty bastards now. Apparently they're putting in ranked mode, and stuff like that needs to come out, because its totally unfair to play with two randoms, against squads full of guys who are partied up.

I still really enjoy it and think it's a brilliant game, but I just hope I can actually do more damage and be more effective.