Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:11:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apex Legends - F2P Battle Royale game by Titanfall developers [split topic]

Started by Operty1, February 04, 2019, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Season 4 teasers appearing this week, new stuff in the train station at Sorting Factory yesterday. Looks like they might be launching the Doomfist-type guy next instead of Revenant.

There's been a glowing orb hanging in the sky the last few days too, check it out.

I'm hyped as fuck! Gonna try and finish season 3 with 50 wins on my Caustic, then aim for 3 figures in season 4.

Barry Admin

LMAO, bunker absolutely jam packed full of Caustic mains at the start, as expected. I could hardly even get through the corridors for people. Need to drop Skulltown now for more mayhem.

Barry Admin

Dummies BigDay is another cracking LTM, very creative and weird. Great change of pace and feel - before my friend got online, I played with randoms who weren't using headsets and it's so incredibly quiet and surreal.

I think a lot of people will really love this as it evens the playing field and makes gunplay and positioning the most important factor, almost entirely removing any advantages conferred by abilities.

Barry Admin

Season 4 HYPE

https://youtu.be/JmmNYDmvS2k

The TV set that appeared in the train station at Sorting Factory finally pays off...

Spoiler alert
Holy shit. I'm so glad I stopped looking in on the subreddit, where the leakers have been ruining everything. Wow.

Edit: Respawn played an absolute blinder here, baiting and switching everyone with this awful Doomfist clone. I love them, they're brilliant.
[close]

C_Larence

I've been away for a month so been completely out of the loop and missed all the LTMs lol. What is the season 4 hype? l

Barry Admin

I'm trying to avoid anything that's not official, and even then avoiding some details that have apparently been released about the maps etc, but basically:

Spoiler alert
Everyone thought Revenant was a sure thing for season 4 after he did the voiceover for the Halloween LTM. Then the Forge appeared, I think maybe was even datamined by folks. A TV set appeared in Sorting Factory with pictures of him, and Hammond Robotics "work in progress" signs started popping up round the map. A strange glow has been hovering in the sky for a couple of weeks now too.

So folks figured either The Forge was coming instead, or we were getting two new legends for S4.

Other stuff that I remember: energy mags were removed, we're pretty sure this is because the Volt SMG from Titanfall is coming over.
[close]

C_Larence

Spent pretty much all day playing this yesterday. Had a lot of fun, despite some truly awful teammates. Got 10 kills in one game with my new favourite setup (fully kitted R301 and EVA8). I'm sad the devotion is a care package gun now, but I always felt OP using it with a turbocharger, definitely better than the L-STAR. Got 5 wins with my main gibby, and tried revenant out in a game where it was just me and another mate (something that ended up happening a lot yesterday i don't know if people were just disconnecting before character selection or what) but we ended up winning that match too!   

Barry Admin

Game is a glitchy mess. Bearable tho, altho bad hitching on Xbox since the update. But brilliant. Loving it.

Got my 50 wins badge for Caustic. Just played as Gibby as he was taken, and I got a lot of good Gibby cosmetics lately. Gun shield plus Peacekeeper is fun times. We won, shit felt broken. He really has become god tier.

Barry Admin

Just went for my two in a row badge with him and got it, if I hadn't already, pretty sure I hadn't. Finished it with the Mastiff, get so many winning kills with it.

Me and the Revenant went down. The badass pussied out and ragequit. I got ressed and made a comeback. Me and Wattson held down the Dome and let the rest of them third party each other. Lovely stuff.

C_Larence

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 06, 2020, 07:44:56 PM
Just went for my two in a row badge with him and got it, if I hadn't already, pretty sure I hadn't. Finished it with the Mastiff, get so many winning kills with it.

Me and the Revenant went down. The badass pussied out and ragequit. I got ressed and made a comeback. Me and Wattson held down the Dome and let the rest of them third party each other. Lovely stuff.

When that happens I always send a screenshot of the win to the person/people who left. One for the asserting dominance thread.

Barry Admin

Yeah I did that the other night. This one just got a "we won lol" message.

Wow my luck is in. Just had another Caustic win, and opened the new Mirage skin, which means I can get the Iron Man recolour in the store at the minute with legend tokens! Check it out, it's bad-ass.

C_Larence

That does look pretty cool! Shame he's my least favourite character. I can't stand the quips. I guess it makes sense that he'd get a marvel character costume.

Barry Admin

I love the character but his abilities need a buff. Everyone thought it was a sure thing after Dummies Day Out showcased useful Ults and stuff. I had the Captain Jack sparrow outfit, got two poses, banner etc. One of those characters I don't play but have everything for. I even accidentally crafted how new finisher when it was showing as taking legend tokens, but actually still used drafting metals. Yikes. Still, he's an investment and I could see me using him after a rework.

Have the new Caustic skin so VERY happy with that.

C_Larence

Apparently kings canyon is back. Haven't played in a while as I've just started Persona 5.

Barry Admin

Not yet mate.

Hadn't been on for a week or so, just fired it up and there's a new event. Had one game and switched it off; extreme lag again, like playing in a fucking low-gravity environment. This patch seems like another fucking shambles that's introduced more problems than its fixed.

Barry Admin

Back to King's Canyon now!  Quite a surprise, had no idea until we were landing there.

Barry Admin

Spoiler alert
QUESTS! LORE! SKULL TOWN FUCKED!
[close]

I'm so hyped I can hardly even watch the rest of the gameplay trailer! I've not played much this season and have just been finishing up the battle pass this last week or two. Haven't really seen the teasers or anything, stayed off Reddit and YouTube as the cunts ruin everything organic and surprising.

Edit: watched it a few times now, hardly any sign of Caustic that I can see, apart from in shadow form at the end. So no idea what his new skins look like, but does make me think/hope we'll be getting his town takeover soon.

Some ace skins in there, particularly Mirage with a BEARD! Feels like some nods to Destiny too, eg "hunt for the broken ghost" which I don't think is a nickname for Rev.

Oh I can't wait, oh god. It's gonna be a glitched out mess tho I bet haha.

Barry Admin

Thanks, thought someone replied tho, boohoo.

Quests are PVE btw, so we're moving in that direction at long last. The recent Bloodhound event has a brief PVE thing too, where you face three waves of beasts.

Barry Admin

Yeah I'm absolutely in love with this again, after getting bored earlier this season. The inventory changes were odd at first, noone really likes change, but they've worked out really well. You have to really think about your loadout now, instead of taking shitloads of nades and stuff. If you want to snipe, then that too has a cost to it now. Much less grenade and sniper spakmis always a good thing in shooters.

Current event has also been brilliant; simple but super fun. You spawn in with armour and a p2020, and now the armour you get is the new EVO shield, which evolves as you hit people. That's the only armour available in the game, so you have to be aggressive and/or loot one that's already been charged by someone else.

If you like hot drops, then this event is insane.

Barry Admin

Just about got the battle pass finished in time, phew. Last ten bonus levels were quite a grind because I've been too busy, but it forced me to play other characters again instead of always maining Caustic. So much fun to be back as Wraith, and fuck around with Octane and Lifeline. Loba looks very promising!

Loba character trailer: https://youtu.be/iRzZGQEPwY4

The different heroes are sooooo good and probably why I adore this game so much. There's an incredibly high skill ceiling, you have to know how to counter each hero and their unique abilities, and find a way to synergise them as a team.

Also this game provides so many MOMENTS. Remember they used to advertise Battlefield 3 or 4 by talking about the great moments you could create? Where you could parachute out of a chopper and hijack someones jet in midair? That kind of thing. You have to constantly be on your toes and ready for anything to happen.

Ah fuck me, it's just the absolute best.

Roll on season 5 tomorrow!

Barry Admin

I'm in awe, Respawn are just the best. Still discovering stuff, King's Canyon has been given one hell of a redesign. New Caustic lines too, I'm happy as a pig in shit.

Loba seems nice but the cooldown on her teleport is killer. Gonna stick with Caustic for now and get some wins going. The Mirage buffs sound pretty great!

The quest is really well done too, haven't found the treasure box so far but the intro is brilliant.

Some real surprises to the weapon pool... They really put in a huge amount of effort with this season, even redesigning the loot menus and all sorts. God I love it. Still can't believe they nuked Skull Town, the crazy, beautiful bastards.

Barry Admin

Had a fucking awful week in ranked, never seen a loss streak like it, Gold is a shitshow and I really need to get a new headset, as having a mic going encourages others to use theirs.

Spent ages last week too redoing all my controls, changing my FOV etc. Realised I've been fighting with the aim - particularly fine movements - far too much for the last year, so totally rethought it all. Feel waaay more accurate since.

Switched back to casual and finally got a few wins going again thankfully. Clutched a really tight 1v1 earlier on one hit, that was awesome, and I'm finding some better team cohesion on causal. Touch and go tho, you still get the solo droppers and disconnecters.

At least you can finally rejoin matches, woohoo! That was a much needed addition.

That clutch earlier though: just the most exciting feeling in gaming, especially knowing the other (dead) team members are sitting watching, or even chipping in on the mic. Wow the tension gets to insane levels, but being the last man standing is maybe the single most rewarding and exciting thing I've ever experienced in gaming.

Barry Admin

Hello lurkers, me again.

I've decided I fucking despise Lobas; they're incredibly aggressive and immediately push every fucking fight going, regardless of how ill judged it is, because they can just warp out and leave the rest of us to get downed.

This week's quest was superb, really, really good!  They've done a brilliant job of getting more lore into the game while also building up relationships between the legends.

I was actually pretty emotional. The narrative work they've been doing with their cinematic trailers and stuff is exemplary too. I'm dying for an Apex movie in the same style.

Barry Admin

Got my Gas Daddy 100 wins badge :-D (click to zoom in)

Nice shot I took of Wraith getting finished in my gas:

Gonna fuck ranked off for a bit and try to smash out a load more Caustic wins.

Barry Admin

Was getting a bit bored again, but shotty and snipers mode is back - YES - and they made a lot of changes mid-season. They're constantly pushing the character abilities about now to refine how they work as members of the way team, so that their roles become more defined. Apparently Overwatch really fucked this up buy Respawn are doing a great job.

And they just keep the game fresh and change the pace by adding in stuff like evo shields and now mobile respawn beacons. Some awesome little cosmetic touches added too, such as Wraith now doing a cool af marital arts hand signal when she phase walks, and Caustics gas traps now spin in mid air as you chuck em.

Barry Admin

Respawn really gotta do something about quitters ffs. Even with the new mobile response beacon, the bastards will immediately quit if they go down at the start of the game. Pathetic scrubs.

The beacon does make for faster gameplay though, they're brilliant at tuning the game to change the flow. Playing Lifeline a lot at the minute for a change; the way they've altered her into a more team-based support unit - an actual "combat medic" - is superb.