Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apex Legends - F2P Battle Royale game by Titanfall developers [split topic]

Started by Operty1, February 04, 2019, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Not enjoying shorty and snipes that much, distribution of guns is wacky.

Just got to second place there, and a dickhead on my squad kicked me off a ledge and followed after me. I was sitting with a gold Longbow and gold Mozambique, what a waste of 15 minutes. Still need another four wins for the badge. You get a lot of people disconnecting right at the start too, once they see you haven't play for that much and don't have thousands of kills. Urgh.

Barry Admin

Still just in love with this, more and more. Finally seeing real progress in my gameplay as well, confidently 3 v 1ing more frequently now, getting more comfortable and wracking up a few more squad wipes.

Not settled on a main, but currently playing a lot of Bloodyhound, as his ult - moving fast and highlighting enemy targets in red - really helps me focus my fire and quickly flank people.

So many brilliant characters though, obviously Wraith. Caustic is a lot of fun. Pathfinder is BAE. Should play more Bangalore too. Just unlocked Wattson today.

Got into a party with two guys and did a LOT more of the shotty and snipes mode, it's actuslly a lot of fun, I really needed to paltscticr more with shotguns especially.

I had to lower my sensitivity and really get used to the game, but now my movement and aiming are adapting to the "response curve" Respawn use to give acceleration when you move your stick etc.

Where PUBG was a really slow, stealthy game when I played it, I've embraced the very fast-paced, manic pace of Apex and find it a hell of lot more fun. Combat has great weight to it, you have bullet drop to compensate for and such. Feels amazing when you wrecking people, exhilarating.

Barry Admin

Hype train for season 3 is killing me. New hacker character - Crypto - confirmed, but there's massive speculation about a new map being launched at the start of the month. Supposedly getting some announcements today.

C_Larence

Played a bit of this today. New map feels a lot smaller than the last one, and seems to have a lot of places that give the illusion of verticality but are actually not climbable. Anyway, had a lot of fun. One game had one team mate disconnect and the other die after one minute and I managed to come 2nd with 8 kills, taking out 2 separate squads in the process. Won one, come second at least 5 times, hope they let you play the old map again if you want.

Barry Admin

Just clutched a win that had me screaming with joy.

We were doing great, but both squad mates went down in the endgame. There's 3 or 4 squads left, small circles. I manage to grab both banners by sneaking and hiding.

Now what? The risky double res, no choice really. Before I even get it finished, a Caustic is on the scene throwing cans everywhere. Mayhem. I bail using my Bangalore passive and come back to flank, manage to kill one of the cans. Lifeline goes down again and gets killed, but Wraith starts punching the Caustic. I re-emerge and just about kill the bastard, then Wraith loots him.

They ask for light ammo, I've a clip and a half left! 

We finally find the last guy, he thirsts on Wraith and misses me coming behind. She goes down and I shred the fuckers gold shield with my R99, and he dies simultaneously.

God it was amazing. Always good when you get the last kill, but that was just amazing, and if I hadn't risked bringing them back, the Caustic would have been a real bollocks to deal with. They made great bait while I saw what was going on. Almost died to the circle trying to bring them back too, it was mayhem.

God I love this game. Had a great win yesterday too where it was just like clockwork the whole time. No-one was on mic, we all communicated very well using the brilliant in-game systems, and we rolled over every squad with ease, coming out with 4, 5 and 6 kills between us. Of course, the next game I went out early with two potato squad mates, but that's the game.

Barry Admin

Ranked Mode is doing my head in a bit. As is non-ranked mode, tbh.

Why do randoms always want to fucking hot drop? And then get wiped in the first minute or two? No fucking sense at all, particularly in ranked mode where you have an entrance fee to cover.

Constantly see low level players being far too aggressive as well. Don't think about positioning or high ground etc, they just start blasting the second they see someone.

I've worked hard at improving, but it just makes people's shortcomings more frustrating.

Why have they all gotta run into the same building as well, when you're trying to loot?

Barry Admin

First two games in a row today. Hot drop, get downed within first minute, quit even after I say "don't quit, I'll res you."

Maybe I should go back to ranked, where people are now punished for quitting early.

Edit: gold ranked no better. We get the train, purple armour but no real weapons. They get off at train yard and want to push, I'm like yeah, great idea when I have a Mozambique and a P2020, lets push the hottest location on the map right after it's been looted and while it's still full of people. Squad wiped. I should have stuck to my guns and ran off, and fought for a top five finish.

Gonna be more proactive and stop using the AFK thing to get out of being jumpmaster. 

Barry Admin

Badgered a friend to install this, then realised he had a projector! So we took turns and he was loving it. After a few games I was in with an absolute beast of a Wraith. One of those ones. 12,000 kills or something crazy.

She goes down at train yard, only about 5 squads left. Our lifeline dips into the ring to get the banner and I catch the train to Capital City! Then zipline up to the very risky res spot, thankfully no-one camping there. Drop one of my guns for Wraith and start scouting loot. Three squads left, the Lifeline is hiding somewhere. Me and the Wraith get pinched between the last two squads, both who have high ground - one squad up on the snipers platform. Amazingly, we clutch it! Win on the big screen, felt amazing.

Messing around with my settings a lot again, taking all the acceleration off it as tracking is a big thing in this game, and my aim has been fairly lousy. Left aim assist off by accident, but seem to be getting back on form now.

The Gaming Merchant did a good video yesterday on how to get out of bounds on Firing Range. Everyone is going nuts trying to find the Easter egg mentioned on the dev stream. Pretty fun to do the glitch and get over to the dropship, worth playing around with before it gets patched.

Barry Admin

Trying some different weapons, I knew I had been sleeping on the G7! Beast with double tap on it. Got the Cold Justice skin yesterday too, lovely. Also playing around with the Triple Take, I want to poke more with sniper rifles to get some more damage badges racked up.

Can't wait for the new progression system and free Apex Packs on Tuesday! Think there will likely be another legendary offer on Monday, too. I now have three legendary Pathfinder poses, all the best ones

That must be awesome on the giant screen. Love it. I'm awful at FPS so didn't stick with this for long but it has the best feel of any of the BR games I've played.

Barry Admin

Yeah dude, what a moment, especially struggling with the PS controller, and having been beaten 7 times in a row on Tekken by him haha. Such a game, most fun I've had since Quake III, the movement and fluidity is amazing.

Gone back to Caustic to break up all my tryharding with Pathfinder and Wraith. He's bloody great, I love him.

Barry Admin

The Xmas music is bloody lovely! The sound packs have been a really good addition, I love the Octane one too, but jazzy Xmas music, yes please.

Not sure about the LTM yet? Not used it much but people seem to like it, whereas it strikes me as slow and campy, I dunno.

Barry Admin

Took a break for the last two weeks, played a bit of Fortnite and whatever else.

Wanted to get back tonight, knew I'd be rusty, so I went to the firing range to warm up a bit. Sliding down that hill to the range felt like coming home! Just the feel and the smoothness of it.

I love this game! It does have some issues, made more apparent by the sheer wealth of content Fortnite pumped out over Xmas, but ultimately it's a phenomenal shooter and team game. Love it.

Edit: and I'd totally forgot I was halfway through Gold 1... Back to the push for platinum rank! Then I get my custom trail in season 4, woohoo.

Barry Admin

Maybe I judged the Xmas LTM mode too quickly, just tried again and had a lot more fun. What you think, C_Larence?

Helps that Caustic today has an R99 and a G7, one of my current favourite loadouts.

Edit: yeehaw, first legendary in ages, Pest Controller for the Mastiff, it's a converted arcade stick with a USB plug and all?! Love me some Mastiff, finishing my first win of the year by getting the final kill with that monster felt ace.

C_Larence

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 02, 2020, 06:04:03 PM
Maybe I judged the Xmas LTM mode too quickly, just tried again and had a lot more fun. What you think, C_Larence?

Helps that Caustic today has an R99 and a G7, one of my current favourite loadouts.

Edit: yeehaw, first legendary in ages, Pest Controller for the Mastiff, it's a converted arcade stick with a USB plug and all?! Love me some Mastiff, finishing my first win of the year by getting the final kill with that monster felt ace.

I actually haven't played in a couple of weeks, since before the LTM dropped, as I'm on holiday.. Nobody on my friends list plays anymore, and I feel like I reached my peak on ranked at Diamond, so had been less inclined to play in the days before I went away anyway. I'd play unranked but it's bad for my blood pressure.

Barry Admin

A damning indictment! Proves what I was saying about Fortnite. A different LTM every single day, a Xmas gift every day for 14 days, challenges with more rewards etc. Meta changes every single day with the unvaulted weapons etc.

Respawn keep things tight and focused so as not to split the playerbase, but it's really boring and frustrating so many regulars.

Barry Admin

This was the LTM I needed! Duos is a bit slow tho.

Had some great clutch moments lately, mostly 3 v 1 moments like last night's duo win. Also went OFF in ranked mode - after a really bad run where I needed one good win to get into Platinum, I nearly ended up back in Gold 2! But I went HAM and got two wins in a row, clutching the final one and finally earning the Apex Predator badge on my Caustic, yay!

Not played ranked since, need to get back but I think it's too late now to solo queue into Diamond, something to focus on in S4.

Loving the Reddit shitfit over the admittedly slightly odd rebalancing of Gibby.

bgmnts

Recently got in this. Won my first game, as is my tradition with these battle royale games. It has a lot more going for it than your Fortnites and PUBG due to the different way due to the class system.

Kind of made me long for a Team Fortress 3 a bit for some reason.

My main is Lifeline. I've only won two or three games so far but the game can be really tense. Of course it suffers from a lot of the same problems its peers do; you can spend ages running around the map looting shit and not seeing pne enemy until the endgame. Which gets a bit boring.

Plus the idea that I always know there are some poor saps shelling out loads of real money on this due to this kind of games cunty business model always makes me feel a tad crap. Overall quite fun for a game thats ostensibly free!

Barry Admin

Guy just dashboarded from a ranked match while we were in top three, so the stupid cheating cunt actually lost 4 points. Can't wait til this shit gets patched.

You can totally control the speed of the game by dropping hot (trainyard or capitol for instance), and you'll get a sense of where people are going as you progress. Run for care packages or look for gunfire and head towards it. Take jump master and drop immediately, follow the trails.

I tend to get pretty engrossed. Gunplay is very important in Apex, so getting your loadout sorted and upgraded keeps me occupied.

Great to hear you're enjoying it!

bgmnts

To be honest i'm on like my 20th or so game. I have a good feel for it. I always just stick with the squad. Much like your weapons and armour, your squad's capability is random chance obviously. Sometimes you'll get thick duffers who spread out and get divided and conquered, other times you'll get two sensible people who will work as a team and when to go for things like drops and caches, when to engage, when to scarper etc. I much prefer those games.

I haven't reached ranked yet but i'm very intrigued to see if the game changes in any way.

Barry Admin

bgmnts

I quite like Lifeline as her drone means you dont use up pack slots on health items. I quite enjoy Bloodhound as well. Tried playing a bit as Gibraltar a few games but i'm more of a support guy. His shield makes sniping quite good though if you can find a good spot. I still havent really played much as any of the other characters. Tried Wraith a few times but I didnt really like her ability. Haven't amassed the coins to unlock any of the locked characters yet.

Yourself? Any characters I should try and play as?

Barry Admin

I dunno if I want to taint you haha, it'll be fun to see you discovering the game.

Basically all legends are viable, although some (Wattson and even Crypto) are only generally viable in high skill ranked lobbies.

Wraith just got a nerf but is still probably classed as top tier. I swap between her and Pathfinder when I want to be a sweaty try-hard in ranked, because they have the best escape abilities (and Wraith has a tiny hitbox), plus Pathfinders general mobility makes him the most powerful legend.

However, I main Caustic, because he is fucking brilliant. He's a villain - the only one currently - and has the second-biggest hitbox, and his abilities can be situational and not even that useful on this new map. Plus your teammates will hate you as friendly gas still slows them (fix in S4 pls Respawn).

But he's fucking brilliant and really fun to play as. And JB Blanc's voice acting is utterly phenomenal,

bgmnts

Alright cheers I'll have a few goes with Pathfinder see how I get on. Will have to grind for a whike 'fore I can unlock the others though.

Barry Admin

His grapple has a high skill ceiling, sometimes I just go into Firing Range and practice grapple swings for ages. When you get the hang of it, you can travel really far and fast, and do very cool stuff. Hugh ground is massively important in BR games, and Party owns the high ground.

Tbh most unlockable legends aren't great and need a buff. Mirage is a brilliant character but almost useless. Octane is massively popular and quite fun, but Pathfinder has waaay better mobility and it doesn't harm him to use it. Crypto is being buffed now, but still needs a rethink. Wattson, as I say, is more for high skill Predator/Diamond lobbies where people want to camp like fuck to protect their ranked points.

bgmnts

I suppose if you want to play as Pathfinder you have to be the one in the squad who takes the initiative whereas I mainly just follow the group. So I suppose that would be a different way of playing, i'd have to play a few more games before I'm comfortable with that.