Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pure

Started by Blue Jam, February 04, 2019, 01:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Channel 4 comedy/drama about the life of Marnie, a Scottish woman plagued with a kind of Peter's Mad Thoughts, but for sexual thoughts- specifically very unsexy sexy thoughts. After picturing her elderly parents' anniversary party descending into a particularly disturbing orgy she escapes to London where she gets herself referred to a sex addicts' self-help group and does her best to hide this fact from everyone she knows while surrounding herself with new people. It also turns out her problem is a bit more complex than she had realised- and with the help and the right new people around her there may hope for her yet...

It is based on the memoir of OCD sufferer Rose Cartwright and stars standup Charly Clive, who was discovered via her Edinburgh Fringe show about her brain tumour, Britney (that's both the name of the show and the name of the tumour):

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/27/charly-clive-how-my-brain-tumour-inspired-a-comedy-career

Reading that article piqued my interest and I've enjoyed the first two episodes- it's not entirely unlike Fleabag but with a lot more heart (and a lot less fourth-wall breaking). I don't know how realistic the depiction of this kind of OCD is but as someone who has repetitive and intrusive (non-sexual) thoughts to a much lesser degree of severity I've found that aspect really interesting. I like the way most characters so far seem pretty uncynical and have empathy and actually want to reach out and help each other, I had a horrible feeling it might be another cynical comedy about unlikable people like Not Safe For Work or Motherland but it's not at all, and I've found that refreshing.

If you can get past the disturbing nudity I'd say it's worth a watch.

bobloblaw

ep 1 was really good and Charly is a wonderfully warm and empathetic performer.
I love the soundtrack too - though it was a bit odd having modern 20somethings dancing in a club who, unlike us, were definitely not listening to Psychotic Reaction

Ja'moke

This is really good. Is the full series somewhere? I could only find the first 2 on Sky.

BlodwynPig

This the one starring a naked Cabber in the first episode?

phes

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 08, 2019, 12:07:27 AM
This is really good. Is the full series somewhere? I could only find the first 2 on Sky.

It's on channel 4's catch-up thing

Ja'moke

Quote from: phes on February 08, 2019, 08:47:44 AM
It's on channel 4's catch-up thing

All-4? I could still only find the first two episodes.

arpster

full season is on All 4....watched it all last night, very enjoyable...nice edge to it and Charly Clive is terrific in the lead role

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/pure

Keebleman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 08, 2019, 12:26:20 AM
This the one starring a naked Cabber in the first episode?

Yep, although 'sadly' all shots of me nude have been omitted.

Ja'moke

Quote from: arpster on February 08, 2019, 01:35:50 PM
full season is on All 4....watched it all last night, very enjoyable...nice edge to it and Charly Clive is terrific in the lead role

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/pure

Thanks! For some reason I can't find all the episodes through All 4 on Sky, but can see them online.

PlanktonSideburns

Tried to get into this, but that fucking naked bloke eating a cake ruined it for me

Blue Jam

Forgot about this, been catching up and I'm up to episode 4 now. My favourite so far- this one seemed to have a nice theme of vulnerability, with Marnie being offended at the idea that Joe might find vulnerability attractive in women, then catching herself being attracted to him while he was vulnerable and questioning it.

Also both Marnie and Charlie being vulnerable to exploitation by their respective employers. I liked the thing of the supposedly feminist magazine with slut-shaming staff sneering at the interns, and them not exactly empowering Marnie by paying her fuck-all and making her pay for the croissants for meetings, and how she finally had enough of being their Pingu (what do we call a feminist version of SugaRape? SugaRapeCulture? SugaRapeJokesAren'tFunny?), and at the same time, Charlie getting back on his own (presumably paid) placement but being very junior and vulnerable to sexual harassment. And then the vulnerable ones coming back together to give each other strength... it was all nicely plotted and nicely put together.

Good to see Doon McKichan channelling her inner Julie from House of Fools. Also good to see Uncle Edward from The Windsors as a Barry Homeowner type, which suited him much better.