Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fun Liam Neeson Anecdote [split topic] [merged]

Started by Cuellar, February 04, 2019, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 04, 2019, 04:05:28 PM

Still a bit of an odd anecdote to drop into a press junket for the latest iteration of that same film he keeps making.
Oh yeah it's completely mad that he would mention it in that context. It would be a dangerous comment even if it was in a relevant discussion about how your anger can get the better of you, or how people can change (or any other context that might explain why it is being said), but to say it in a promotional interview is really weird.

I just don't really know what purpose the people wanting him #cancelled are trying to serve. These are feelings that he has completely disavowed, and that we only know about because he chose to air them in the context of them being terrible, unjustifiable feelings borne out of misplaced anger. The people who are angry at him are in agreement with him about those feelings he had at that time. They are essentially angry at a different man who no longer exists, and who arguably never existed outside of that brief period. That's not to justify or explain away those feelings he had, which are obviously completely unacceptable...but nobody is defending them, are they?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 04, 2019, 04:44:01 PM
Judging by the kind of people who enjoy his terribly derivative revenge 'thrillers', where White Father Figure kicks the shit out of forrens, it might actually draw attention to it and make more money.

Exactly, Neeson knows his audience doesn't he, that's why he knew this was an ideal opportunity to wheel out his classic 'almost murdered a black bastard' anecdote.

up_the_hampipe

I know how he feels. If Liam Neeson raped someone I cared about, I'd want to go and kill a random shit actor.

St_Eddie

I note that he never says that it was wrong for him to have lumped all black people in together and that he should never have held all black people responsible for the actions of one black man.  He only appears to express remorse and shame for going out there and potentially murdering someone because "revenge begets more revenge".

Thursday

Yeah I don't think the full context exonerates him really

Custard

Liam Neeson apparently has a massive willy. And I for one hope he has it confiscated after this

Urinal Cake

Yes there seems no contrition for the actual racism. More to do with the theme of the movie he's promoting. Also with his 'Me Too' criticism suggests he  is not exactly up to date with current attitudes.

Considering the BLM movement and historic accounts of black boys and men being killed by white men (police or otherwise) on the mere suspicion of being guilty by association it's pretty easy to see why people are calling for his head. Especially when he hasn't condemned his racist thinking outright.

BritishHobo

One thing I'm finding very odd is people are quite angry at the journalist. I would get it if she had chased the story down, but he told it during a press junket for a comedy-thriller. Would people rather she buried it?

At the same time I'm aware it's not really the place of a white bloke to tell black people how to feel about a major celebrity coming out and telling a story like that. It must be fucking disheartening.

Mister Six

To be fair, has Neeson ever spoken out before now against hunting down black men with a cosh so you can murder them in a deranged Death Wish-esque bout of racist vigilante "justice"?

If not, I don't think you can really fault him.

Crisps?

This isn't Twitter, so there's no need for people to act thick for dramarama purposes. Obviously his realisation that his vengeful thoughts about "black bastards" were irrational and unacceptable includes his vengeful thoughts about "black bastards".

Z

It read to me a bit like a weird combo of explaining where his thought process towards the role came from combined with an abrupt need to confess some shit.

Following on from the Venezuela shit and the really grim responses to AOC's tweet about Corbyn, I went on a hate spree of reading some of the more exaggerated responses to this one.
Don't think it's really gaining the traction certain people on either side expect though, he's ultimately not talking about himself as he is now and has gained a rep of being a bit of a clumsy mess of a man whose audience won't really care.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Crisps? on February 04, 2019, 09:06:08 PM
This isn't Twitter, so there's no need for people to act thick for dramarama purposes. Obviously his realisation that his vengeful thoughts about "black bastards" were irrational and unacceptable includes his vengeful thoughts about "black bastards".

No, not "obviously".  If he was remorseful for tarring all black people with the same brush, then he should have made that clear via the tool of language.  He didn't.  At all.  What he did do, was to express remorse for wanting to murder someone because "revenge begets revenge" and used the term "black bastard" without qualifying it as a terrible term to use, with the benefit of hindsight.

I think that he might just be a racist.  He certainly talks like one.  I mean, when relating the story, he says that he asked the woman two questions; "do you know who it was?" and "what colour was he?".  I know that wouldn't have been my second question in that situation.  I'd be more likely to ask "what did he look like?" and "have you gone to the police?".  Our boy Liam seems a little too preoccupied with race.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 04, 2019, 09:34:38 PM
No, not "obviously".  If he was remorseful for tarring all black people with the same brush, then he should have made that clear via the tool of language.  He didn't.  At all.  What he did do, was to express remorse for wanting to murder someone because "revenge begets revenge" and used the term "black bastard" without qualifying it as a terrible term to use, with the benefit of hindsight.

He air-quoted "black bastard", which makes it clear that he's putting some remove between him as a present day person and his thoughts as a younger man, although I notice that a lot of the papers that reprinted the Independent interview omitted that detail - and the pauses in his speech that indicate him struggling with the thoughts.

He doesn't do a good job of contextualising the remarks, and the interviewer should have pressed for more comment and details, but I certainly don't think it's as cut and dry as you say it is. He also sounds a bit... addled. Both in speech and bringing it up in this context at all.

The impression I get is that he used to be a racist young man with a very nasty, violent streak (given that he grew up in Norn Iron in the 50s and came of age in the late 60s and early 70s that's hardly surprising) but I don't get the impression that he feels this way now.

bgmnts

I feel it's probably human nature to discriminate against/dislike/distrust a group based on a member of that group hurting you or someone you love, at least for a short while.

EbbyVale

Quote from: Mister Six on February 04, 2019, 10:26:22 PM

The impression I get is that he used to be a racist young man with a very nasty, violent streak (given that he grew up in Norn Iron in the 50s and came of age in the late 60s and early 70s that's hardly surprising) but I don't get the impression that he feels this way now - or if he does, that he doesn't recognise that as a problem.

That's what I think is happening.  He understands that going out to bash people was a wrong response; he doesn't get why, that in a country full of many-colored rapists (doesn't matter what country it was, it's true enough), his inclination to bash somebody for skin color in response to a rape is problematic for reasons other than violence.

Crisps?

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 04, 2019, 09:34:38 PM

Do you need him to explain to you that "black bastard" is a terrible term? Are you seriously claiming that when he did the quotation sign as he said "black bastards" you don't understand that he was emphasising what he thought at that time of  his anger, as an example of just how vengeful and misguided he was?

This idea that people need to explain to death absolutely every single obvious and easy to understand thing to prevent somebody somewhere on the internet willfully misunderstanding and getting angry about it really needs to GTF.

Edit: ^^^^^^ With this I'm talking about Twitter or other social networks, not here.

QuoteI think that he might just be a racist.  He certainly talks like one.  I mean, when relating the story, he says that he asked the woman two questions; "do you know who it was?" and "what colour was he?".  I know that wouldn't have been my second question in that situation.  I'd be more likely to ask "what did he look like?" and "have you gone to the police?".  Our boy Liam seems a little too preoccupied with race.

Neeson probably also said what did he look like - because that's what everyone would say, even a racist - but related it the way he did because not everyone remembers their exact words from years or decades earlier, and because it was about race.

But yeah, it's 2019 and the internet, his last film was for a black director, where his role was in an interracial marriage; he must be a racist and decided to announce it in the middle of an interview about his latest 6/10 at IMDB.

Crisps?

Quote from: Mister Six on February 04, 2019, 10:26:22 PM
The impression I get is that he used to be a racist young man with a very nasty, violent streak (given that he grew up in Norn Iron in the 50s and came of age in the late 60s and early 70s that's hardly surprising) but I don't get the impression that he feels this way now

I don't know about how violent he was, but I agree with this. I think it's a pity that these things get immediately get crushed under an avalanche of five minute outrage, because it's quite interesting and unusual for someone to be so open about something like that. It's easy for people to say they'd react calmly and progressively, but I think a lot of people of every race would react in the same way as Neeson.

St_Eddie

That Liam Nesson sure is a naughty little scamp, ain't he?

St_Eddie

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 04, 2019, 07:18:43 PM
Liam Neeson apparently has a massive willy. And I for one hope he has it confiscated after this

Don't give him another reason to hate black fellas.

Mister Six

Quote from: EbbyVale on February 04, 2019, 11:12:34 PM
That's what I think is happening.  He understands that going out to bash people was a wrong response; he doesn't get why, that in a country full of many-colored rapists (doesn't matter what country it was, it's true enough), his inclination to bash somebody for skin color in response to a rape is problematic for reasons other than violence.

Sorry I have no idea why I wrote that as it's not what I think at all. Have amended post accordingly.

Pseudopath

BALLYMENA PENSIONER IN RACIST OUTBURST SHOCKER

Mister Six

Quote from: Crisps? on February 04, 2019, 11:56:34 PM
I don't know about how violent he was

Well he was intending to murder strangers, so I'll go with "quite".

And I'm not sure targeting an entire race for a week of vigilante slaughter is at all a common or normal response to something like this.

Crisps?

Quote from: Mister Six on February 05, 2019, 12:59:17 AM
Well he was intending to murder strangers, so I'll go with "quite".

I thought you were going with it's hardly surprising that someone born in 1950s Northern Ireland would have a nasty violent streak.

QuoteAnd I'm not sure targeting an entire race for a week of vigilante slaughter is at all a common or normal response to something like this.

Do you want to edit this one too, since you seem to have forgotten to quote me saying a week of vigilante slaughter is common or normal response.

Dex Sawash

BlodwynPig

Are coshes banned yet like hammers? Not a peep from the security services or Met.

a duncandisorderly

it's a fine line he's walking... fans of his revenge flicks will rejoice in that he had these thoughts, while people who like him will forgive him because it was a long time ago & he probably reacted like a lot of men would've back in the whenever-it-was, & actually like a lot of men would today too, if we're honest. & it's got him in the news, with a new flick on the way.

I felt sorry for him when his mrs banged her head skiing & died a few days later, but.

Mister Six

Quote from: Crisps? on February 05, 2019, 01:37:38 AM
I thought you were going with it's hardly surprising that someone born in 1950s Northern Ireland would have a nasty violent streak.

Yes, and you said "I don't know how violent he was."

QuoteDo you want to edit this one too, since you seem to have forgotten to quote me saying a week of vigilante slaughter is common or normal response.

Quote from: Crisps? on February 04, 2019, 11:56:34 PM
It's easy for people to say they'd react calmly and progressively, but I think a lot of people of every race would react in the same way as Neeson.

Certainly sounds like a bit of normalisation going on there, considering we're talking about a bloke who wandered around with a weapon night after night, hoping to be accosted by a black person so he could kill them.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 05, 2019, 02:19:49 AM
Are coshes banned yet like hammers? Not a peep from the security services or Met.

Yer average terrorist on the go has moved onto rolling pins now, grandad. Hammers are very dated, like bows and arrows or pipe bombs. Get with the times.