Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:04:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fun Liam Neeson Anecdote [split topic] [merged]

Started by Cuellar, February 04, 2019, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

If he'd slipped in this dark incident in a kind of serious, warts and all autobiography amongst various other stories about how rough his environment was and how unreconstructed he was in those days as context it would probably have passed off unnoticed. But he was on a press junket for one of his daft old man action films. I tried to murder a black man once, not proud but hey it's a great film.

Crisps?

Quote from: Mister Six on February 05, 2019, 04:18:56 AM
Yes, and you said "I don't know how violent he was."

You said he was a "young man with a very nasty, violent streak" and specifically related that to his youth in NI in the 50s, 60s and 70s, so I assumed you were referring to other violence in his past that I didn't know about, since obviously I know about the topic of the thread we're in.

For some reason - despite me agreeing with you to the point of excluding a part of your post that you subsequently disowned and removed yourself - you wanted to be a dick about that.

QuoteCertainly sounds like a bit of normalisation going on there, considering we're talking about a bloke who wandered around with a weapon night after night, hoping to be accosted by a black person so he could kill them.

It has nothing to do with "normalisation" of anything (whatever you mean by that), just a recognition of what a lot of people are unfortunately like; bigotry towards whatever identifiable group a wrongdoer belongs to. duncandisorderly says something similar, and I suspect other people would also say the same, even if you wouldn't.

St_Eddie

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 05, 2019, 06:50:41 AM
If he'd slipped in this dark incident in a kind of serious, warts and all autobiography amongst various other stories about how rough his environment was and how unreconstructed he was in those days as context it would probably have passed off unnoticed. But he was on a press junket for one of his daft old man action films. I tried to murder a black man once, not proud but hey it's a great film.

He said he'd never admitted it to anyone before, but decided a journalist was the right person to confide in.

biggytitbo

Rather than condemning him, John Barnes thinks Liam actually deserves a medal for saying he once spent a week roaming the streets looking to commit a racially motivated homicide.

The question is, does a medal exist for that?

Soup Dogg

"Okay Liam, today you've got an interview with the Independent to promote "Revenge Man 2: I Want my Family Back."

"Cheers Mel, I was just wondering:do you reckon I should bring up how I know what a terrible thing revenge is because my friend got raped and then I spent a week trying to crack in the skull of any  black bastard until he was dead because rape is bad but now I know revenge is worse?"

"No Liam. Please do not do that."

"Okay Mel."

"Liam?"

"Yeah?"

"Definitely don't say "black bastard", okay?"

"Right-o."

Later that day

"... so yeah, I think revenge is pretty awful, actually, in fact my friend got raped and then I spent a week trying to crack in the skull of any black bastard until he was dead because rape is bad but now I know revenge is worse..."

Was this idiocy just a very misguided attempt to act hard to promote his latest Steven Seagall-style fighting film?

Butchers Blind

jobotic

I wonder what this person he knows who was raped makes of all this?

Probably happy to help promote his latest revenge flick.

DrGreggles

Cuellar

John Barnes getting involved according to twitter. Thought it was going to be another #cancellation, but he seems to be talking sense.

Bronzy

Quote from: Cuellar on February 05, 2019, 02:21:11 PM
John Barnes getting involved according to twitter. Thought it was going to be another #cancellation, but he seems to be talking sense.

Does make some good points.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1092747754881929216?s=21

hummingofevil

Quote from: Cuellar on February 05, 2019, 02:21:11 PM

It's both. I can see the arguments that it was not the best place to share this information but the principle of him admitting to have violent, racist thoughts but then realising that this was wrong seems to me to be a fairly useful thing to share with people. People have the right to change  and grow but so much of modern thinking denies this; which ultimately is going to be the cause of humanities downfall as we increasingly hang on desperately to our most irrational and destructive beliefs as this is preferable to being wrong. See Brexit thread for multiple examples.

That said, all that doesn't matter as people have already made their minds up after reading some hot take in 280 characters. No coming back from that (see above). #Cancelled by a jury of his peers.

(FWIW I've always thought John Barnes speaks the most sense on racism. As someone who suffered some of the most systematic and regular verbal abuse from terraces his point has always been that by stopping the chants it hasn't necessarily changed the mindset. Structural and subconciousness exists in everyone. Which is pretty obvious when you think of examples but he gets sneered at from all sides when he says white people are still racist no matter how hard they don't want to be. It will be interesting to see how much more gravitas is afforded to his words now he is defending a white person).

biggytitbo

QuoteActor Liam Neeson has denied he is racist, after admitting he once set out to kill an innocent black man.

The article doesnt start well for Neeson.

jobotic

Quotewent power walking for two hours every day, to try to work through his anger.

Neeson's going to be driving to Dundee in his bare feet at this rate.

gib

Why does he even need to make films? Surely he made enough money to last a lifetime when he brought down Barings Bank.

Crabwalk

QuoteThe Taken star claimed he would have acted in the same way if his friend's assailant had been white.

He told ABC: "If she had said an Irish or a Scot or a Brit or a Lithuanian I would - I know I would - have had the same effect. I was trying to show honour, to stand up for my dear friend in this terribly medieval fashion."

That makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Neither does his professed loathing of revenge now, since he's made an absolute shitload of money off the back of celebrating it.

Cuellar

Well if the person had been white he could have just cracked himself on the bonce with the cosh.

Crabwalk

'They were Irish, Liam'

'WHERE'S THE NEAREST FUCKIN O'NEILLS??'

St_Eddie

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 05, 2019, 02:33:52 PM
It's both. I can see the arguments that it was not the best place to share this information but the principle of him admitting to have violent, racist thoughts but then realising that this was wrong seems to me to be a fairly useful thing to share with people. People have the right to change  and grow but so much of modern thinking denies this; which ultimately is going to be the cause of humanities downfall as we increasingly hang on desperately to our most irrational and destructive beliefs as this is preferable to being wrong. See Brexit thread for multiple examples.

That might hold true had Liam Neeson said that he regrets his past racist attitude.  He didn't though.  He said he regrets wanting to enact revenge, so I don't think it's right to be claiming that people aren't willing to accept that people can change and grow.  Had Neeson said something along the lines of "it was wrong of me to tar all black people with the same brush, I realise that now", then I'd be in full support of him coming out with his confession and of him as a person.  In fact, I'd commend him for it.  Sadly he didn't and so, I feel that he's made himself look like a total cunt.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2019, 03:59:25 PM
That might hold true had Liam Neeson said that he regrets his past racist attitude.  He didn't though.  He said he regrets wanting to enact revenge, so I don't think it's right to be claiming that people aren't willing to accept that people can change and grow.  Had Neeson said something along the lines of "it was wrong of me to tar all black people with the same brush, I realise that now", then I'd be in full support of him coming out with this confession and of him as a person.

He probably regrets his mate getting raped as well, he didn't say it though so fuck knows.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on February 05, 2019, 04:00:12 PM
He probably regrets his mate getting raped as well, he didn't say it though so fuck knows.

Unless he personally raped her, then I'm not sure that "regret" is the right word.

Lord Mandrake

"If she had said an Irish or a Scot or a Brit or a Lithuanian I would - I know I would - have had the same effect"

Black people can also be Lithuanian!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on February 05, 2019, 04:11:39 PM
"If she had said an Irish or a Scot or a Brit or a Lithuanian I would - I know I would - have had the same effect"

Black people can also be Lithuanian!

Oh, and Irish people can't is it?

THIN LIZZY DENIAL CUNT

jobotic

Brits can be black. And they can be Scots.

He's all over the place.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Liam Neeson

That statement of his is incredibly disingenuous.  He's backpedaling so much, that he's riding his bike backwards, at 10,000 MPH.  If the man who raped his friend had been a white Irishman, would he bollocks have gone on the streets looking to murder the first white Irishman who dared to look at him funny, whilst merrily ignoring anyone who's black.  Pull the other one, Liam.  It's got great big clanging bells on it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: jobotic on February 05, 2019, 04:44:29 PM
Brits can be black. And they can be Scots.

He's all over the place.

You're just being silly now

Shit Good Nose

I think what we can all take from this is to not say anything to anyone.  Ever.