Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Pub

Started by The Boston Crab, February 04, 2019, 10:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poo

kittens

bring in some knives and tell them that stabbing each other is warhammer. do this lads it's warhammer! this is warhammer and anime.

Buelligan

If you're worried about trademarks, call it PUBe but make the e look like a G, simples!

And you can market it to the dad rave crew on Sunday lunchtimes.

(Ceci n'est pas une blague.)

Blue Jam

You should advertise regular online trolling sessions and get big groups of people to do stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-334kJXTaYY

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on February 05, 2019, 10:43:17 AM
If you're worried about trademarks, call it PUBe but make the e look like a G, simples!

And you can market it to the dad rave crew on Sunday lunchtimes.

(Ceci n'est pas une blague.)

This is a good suggestion. I like the idea of going for a pint down the PUBe.

"I'm at PUBe's" you'll say, "they don't put hairs in the drinks - bring your friends!"

Cuellar

"I am in the pube, with the holiday monkey - run, run, run!"

ToneLa

You should call the pub The Abortion Clinic, in the same way there's a pub called The Office ("Oh, I am staying late at the Office, wink! Shit, did I just say wink?")

Sorry wife, I will be late tonight. I am drinking whatever I get my hands on in the Abortion Clinic.

Blinder Data

You need to look beyond uber-nerds as your main clientele. They are a notoriously stingy people - having rejected societal norms, they easily withstand social pressure to spend when it's an obligation rather than based on their own needs/desires.

Have you looked at other gaming pubs or board game cafes for ideas about business models? Manchester has a few you can look into and I bet Liverpool has some too.

I think charging nothing for games is fine if it's just Mario Kart 64, but considering the care and money you've put into everything that's pretty mental. You could include a "free drink" in the entrance free?

Splitting off drinking and gaming areas could be worthwhile, so that people who don't really care about games could come in and enjoy your delicious drinks without being put off by the fee.

I think looking beyond gaming is key - if you want to keep the geek theme, consider including board games, quizzes, cult film nights, wrestling on the telly. Loyalty scheme could be a possibility if people are making repeat visits. Place near me is a tiny bar but it's crammed with arcade machines (some free, some pay to play) and seems to do all right.

Good luck. Someone close to me is embarking on a not too dissimilar venture so I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Dex Sawash

This sounds great and I can't wait to visit

Can't even tell you how depressing it is coming into the pub this morning. I couldn't be arsed cleaning up the nine pint glasses we used last night so I've got to do all that in the cold light of day as well. Someone left all the Game Boy Advances on and so I need to get a load of fucking batteries now for tonight. Gonna cost me another thirty quid or so.

Hoping tonight is a fucking big night. Its Ladies Night and we're running a Puyo Puyo Tetris tournie. I'll report back. Hope to see a few of you there.

Paul Calf

Where is this pub? I want to go to it.

samadriel

We've had two gaming bars here in Brisbane, the Manabar (part owned by Yahtzee from those game reviews, who's a local), and The Netherworld.  Sounds like you've got more of a Manabar setup, with the games not earning their keep, and sadly that place didn't last long.  At the Netherworld they've got a lot more assorted food and drink, many boardgames, and. while there are a variety of f2p old console titles on CRT tellies, most of the gaming is carried out on arcade cabinets and pinball machines, one dollar per credit.  They really push the nostalgic aspect of being an arcade, and they push competition between customers to be top dog on various games; they also have weekly/monthly/whatever events like fighting game tournaments, high-score challenges on big-time classic games like Donkey Kong, and regular free-play afternoons for punters to bring their kids in, which seems to foster goodwill as well as food and non-alc drink sales.  They regularly promote new meals and beers on Facebook.  The attention to detail seems to have put them in a much healthier state than the Manabar was -- that place was much more laissez-faire, just having modern consoles lined up and hoping people would maybe buy a drink while they were there.  I don't know if the arcade-style gaming setup is the key factor helping the Netherworld stay afloat, but a lot of people seem to be sinking their bucks into those machines when I'm there.  I guess it provides an experience that can't be had at home, so people are more willing to come out. Good luck with your bar Bosto.

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 05, 2019, 12:03:52 PM
Where is this pub? I want to go to it.

It's called The Unicorn, Paul.  You can go there any time you like simply by closing your eyes tight and saying the magic words.

Cuellar

The Harvest Moon Under Water

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Cuellar on February 05, 2019, 09:31:53 AM
Is this a joke thread?

Come on man, just let him have this

wosl

To any riff-raff: CLEAR OFF AWAY FROM THE PUB.  To all others approaching: Hey there!  You are just a few yards away from the pub.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 05, 2019, 12:02:34 PM
Can't even tell you how depressing it is coming into the pub this morning. I couldn't be arsed cleaning up the nine pint glasses we used last night so I've got to do all that in the cold light of day as well. Someone left all the Game Boy Advances on and so I need to get a load of fucking batteries now for tonight. Gonna cost me another thirty quid or so.

Hoping tonight is a fucking big night. Its Ladies Night and we're running a Puyo Puyo Tetris tournie. I'll report back. Hope to see a few of you there.

Have you barred anyone yet? You should bar someone

Paul Calf

I'll come along on a busy night and you can very publicly bar me for not buying any drinks. "Every night you're in here," you can say "and you never buy a drink. Get out until you've grasped the principles of retail business!"

It'll only cost you a couple of hours on your Nintendo Switch. I've been thinking abnout buying one, but I'm not sure I'll like it.

Fry

Host and stream a speedrunning marathon, like agdq or something. Only one where people get pissed and get into arguments.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've got something to put in you!
I've got something to put in you!
At the ga........

Nah fuck it. Doesn't even scan or anything. Shite.

Captain Z

Have a 'Gamergate Discussion Area', you'll be coining it by the weekend.

PlanktonSideburns

Ginandtonic the hedgehog

gib

PlanktonSideburns

Altered Yeast

If you don't use that you deserve all the flat batteries you get

Pingers

Isn't waiting time important here? If you have enough consoles that everyone can play at the same time, you'll sell hardly any drinks because their hands are busy. You don't want such long waits for people to have a turn that they get fed up, but you presumably want about half playing and half waiting, so that the ones waiting are buying and drinking drinks - then they swap over.

Also, I may be wrong here but a good offering of non-alcoholic drinks maybe? Because spods like these may not want to get too pissed to fail to beat spod friend's hi-score. Perhaps some weak lemon drink

Great. There's three young women waiting outside. Two of them seem like normal people which is great but one is wearing a t-shirt that says 'GAMER GIRL'. She's wearing cat ears and has done her eye make-up so she looks Oriental. I'm not sure whether it's racist or what. Too hard to tell these days. Also she's got a backpack that's got Haruhi Suzumiya on it. That's actually cool. I don't know how the fucking nerds are going to deal with this. I can sense there will be a lot of people barred tonight but at least they be some THIRST. Hahaha.

We got bowls full of bacon fries to try to get more cunts on the piss tonight. Last night was a fucking joke but hopefully Ladies Night will give us the boost we need. There's loads and loads of nerds waiting outside but they left like a two metre gap in the queue for the three girls. Weirdos. Weirdos. It's free drinks for women but I've got to be honest I'll be withdrawing that policy if anyone takes advantage or if any of the nerds starts scheming or anything.

Games tonight are as follows:

Puyo Puyo Tetris (Tournament - Main Lounge)
Gunbarich on the Neo Geo (CRT TVs on the bar)
Shinobi (Spectrum emulation via Raspberry Pi, CRT TVs on the bar)
ARMS (Nintendo Switch - in the snug)
Mitzuguchi Chill Out Zone with Rez, Tetris Infinite and Lumines in the comedown lounge.
Final Fantasy 7 Live! (We got a local streamer to stream this on YT and build hype for the pub).

Ferris

Is it REZ on the Dreamcast, or the HD version? Getting the answer to this correct will determine whether or not I will visit your pub.

Dreamcast. I've got Rez Infinite on the PS4 and PSVR but I'm saving it for VR night and Monkey Brain shots.

Also, we bought a dozen Dreamcasts and restored them so we've got to see some return on that investment. We're gonna have a shmups night with Gunbird 2, Twinkle Star Sprites and Mars Matrix. We need it to work or we're going out of business.

Cuellar

Sort us a link to the YT stream

Sorry he's just streaming in the pub but we're saying it's on YT to build hype. Sorry mate