Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kelly mon Teeth

Started by Jittlebags, February 05, 2019, 01:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jittlebags

How come is sugar bad for the teeth? Sugar in jam is a peservative, so how come a sugary diet promotes bacteria that knacker your teeth? Honestly, it"s one rule for sugar based preserved foodstuffs and another one for yer chompers

Bazooka

And what about Jellyfish, can we no longer eat those?

Jittlebags

Oh, and I'd give that Gabriel Drake one as well.

St_Eddie

What I don't understand is why fruit is so acidic and high in sugar.  It's a source of food provided by nature and yet nature didn't deign to also provide us with toothbrush trees and toothpaste plants.  Nature can be very red in tooth decay and claw.

a duncandisorderly

different sort of sugar though, fructose.

St_Eddie

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 05, 2019, 02:41:36 AM
different sort of sugar though, fructose.

Pretty sure that fructose is a brand of yogurt, mate.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2019, 02:43:32 AM
Pretty sure that fructose is a brand of yogurt, mate.

nah, you're thinking of 'ski'.

ToneLa

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2019, 02:39:57 AM
What I don't understand is why fruit is high in sugar.  It's a source of food provided by nature and yet nature didn't deign to also provide us with toothbrush trees and toothpaste plants.  Nature can be very red in tooth decay and claw.

There's different kinds of sugar and naturally occurring ones such as, in the case of fruit, fructose, are not as corrosive. Basically, sucrose and fructose react to your mouth's bacteria differently.

All sugars - fructose and sucrose are merely a subset - are nominally bad in terms of tooth decay, but sucrose is unique in bonding plaque to enamel (and plaque itself is adhesive). Sucrose is closest to table sugar, it's common sugar, and is used as an additive although it does occur naturally; you're far more likely to encounter it in processed food and carbs, or put another way: fruit, not so much!

Worrying about sugar is like worrying about using oil for cooking. You'd be worrying about a category, not a specific choice. You need a deeper meaning to make sense of it.

Partial source (I know weird amounts about this stuff but did want to cite something else https://www.quora.com/Does-sugar-or-fructose-have-any-special-effect-on-tooth-enamel )

St_Eddie

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 05, 2019, 02:46:04 AM
nah, you're thinking of 'ski'.

That's a leisure activity, not a yogurt.

shiftwork2

It's all about the fermentable carbohydrates in my dental surgery.  She can't help herself going on about them.  'Use an interdental brush each day to remove plaque to avoid fermenting your carbohydrates you cunt' she says.

ZoyzaSorris

Sugar is a preservative in very high concentrations because of the osmotic pressure it generates, which will suck the liquid out of any cells and kill them (much like salt). Also it keeps out oxygen which will inhibit aerobic organisms.

The same isnt true in the damp, oxygenated environment of your mouth. Also sugars are highly inflammatory and indirectly promote gum inflammation.

steve98

Are there any products (Like yogurt) made from human milk? Would it be legal to sell human milk? How much milk can a human in good shape produce?

hamfist

Quote from: steve98 on February 05, 2019, 07:47:34 AM
Are there any products (Like yogurt) made from human milk? Would it be legal to sell human milk? How much milk can a human in good shape produce?

Often wondered this. Was thinking of starting a ladyfarm a while back to take on Nestlé at the baby milk game. Organic Ladymilk dot com or something.

ZoyzaSorris

This suggests that yes you can, at least informally:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34467613

QuoteShortly after posting the advertisement, Miss Biddle made her first sale - £60 for 30 ounces - and gave out her address for it to be collected.
"It was a man in his 50s/60s," she said.

Deso-lait-ion.

Bodybuilders like it too, i hear. Was tempted to try some from the fridge when me bairn was wee, cos i was big into all that shit. But didnt.

ZoyzaSorris

Is human milk vegan, given it is given with full consent of the animal involved?

Ray Travez

it probably comes under the same philosophical category as, "Can vegans swallow semen?" All the great minds have studied these questions, pondered long into the night, I forgot what they said. Personally I find the idea of eating a stranger's breast milk a bit weird and disgusting.

Also I believe there's vegans who will eat roadkill, because the animal hasn't been expressly killed for it's meat.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Bazooka on February 05, 2019, 01:19:28 AM
And what about Jellyfish, can we no longer eat those?

When we get rid of those pesky EU regulations, after Brexit, a man will be able to eat all the jellyfish that his heart desires!

bgmnts

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 05, 2019, 08:05:07 AM
Is human milk vegan, given it is given with full consent of the animal involved?

I'd drink it with no ethical quandry, aa long as babies weren't slaughtered for the milk to be produced, and they weren't kept in horrific conditions.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 05, 2019, 08:35:42 AM
there's also breast milk ice-cream- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/27/breast-milk-ice-cream-taste

Not any more - they went out of business a few years ago.  Thank fuck.  Dreadful place, dreadful ice cream.  Only frequented by hipsters with more money than sense and taste buds.

Cuellar

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 05, 2019, 08:32:52 AM
Personally I find the idea of eating a stranger's breast milk a bit weird and disgusting.

Good friends with the cows that provide your milk are you?

Buelligan

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 05, 2019, 08:05:07 AM

Or is it cannibalism?  Depends on whether the woman is an animal, I suppose.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Cuellar on February 05, 2019, 10:36:19 AM
Good friends with the cows that provide your milk are you?

I drink soya milk. Super pals with the beans :)

thenoise

Quote from: bgmnts on February 05, 2019, 08:43:39 AM
I'd drink it with no ethical quandry, aa long as babies weren't slaughtered for the milk to be produced, and they weren't kept in horrific conditions.

I'd like a woman to drink vodka until her breast milk turns into boozey milk PM for details.

im barry bethel

Teeth are fucking lazy buggers, nails and hair keep on growing and growing but those pearly whites can't be bothered to scab over a cavity or sprout a replacement. Even your skin (or might be the skeleton) regenerates itself every 7 (or might be 20) years

Once the teeth have rotted out there's no more steak and grilled tomatos so you're left with a diet of mushrooms and soft centres, I've often thought tooth decay is nature's or God's or evolution's or whatever you believe in's way of population control.

Endicott

I suppose that would make falsies some kind of un-Godly abomination then.

St_Eddie

Much like teeth, aren't we all eventually destined to rot away into nonexistence?  Toothpaste is nowt but a tube of denial.  Can't keep your soul beside your bed, in a glass of water.  Oohhhhh.  Deep.

ToneLa

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 07, 2019, 07:17:15 PM
Much like teeth, aren't we all eventually destined to rot away into nonexistence? 

Getting ready for Valentine's Day with prose like that Eds?

St_Eddie

Quote from: ToneLa on February 07, 2019, 07:29:19 PM
Getting ready for Valentine's Day with prose like that Eds?

Don't you just know it.  Wait a moment, why am I single?!  Hmm...