Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:40:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When your local takeaway blatantly buys their ingredients from Lidl

Started by Shit Good Nose, February 05, 2019, 10:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobtoo

I worked in a restaurant in the late 80s and even then the wholesaler's rep was complaining that the supermarkets were starting to undercut them, so it's nothing new.

I travel a lot for work and it's fairly normal for B&Bs, even posh ones, to openly use Lidl products.

madhair60

NoSleep

Just as long as you don't get anything with chicken in it. I purchased a whole chicken from Lidl (because it was incredibly cheap) and found that it had tumours in it... yum!

thenoise

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 05, 2019, 05:14:55 PM
De Cecco is so good I honestly don't see the point in the hassle of making your own and risking it being a disaster.  It's like making your own bread - you spend a day and about £5 making your own, and it comes out tasting like bland cake.  Vot is point?

Ingredients for bread don't cost £5.  Unless you're counting the tin, but that will last you a lifetime.

Flour, yeast and salt for a family loaf of bread will cost about 25p, unless you buy it in a little bread makers pack or something equally ridiculous.  Buy expensive flour if you want, but inexpensive is fine.  If it tastes like bland cake, put more salt in and make sure the yeast is in date.

thenoise

Delia's four star coleslaw

The dressing is a bit unnecessary, just mayo lemon juice and seasoning is fine, maybe a bit of mustard if you happen to have any in the cupboard.  You should adapt the ingredients based on what you have and/or what is cheap locally.  Spending £7 on one side dish is ludicrous.

Ferris

Quote from: thenoise on February 07, 2019, 02:32:26 PM
Ingredients for bread don't cost £5.  Unless you're counting the tin, but that will last you a lifetime.

Flour, yeast and salt for a family loaf of bread will cost about 25p, unless you buy it in a little bread makers pack or something equally ridiculous.  Buy expensive flour if you want, but inexpensive is fine.  If it tastes like bland cake, put more salt in and make sure the yeast is in date.

I am quite a good baker, even if I say so myself. Went through a period 2011-2017 where I made all my own bread. Still do 95% of it.

Can provide tips if anyone is interested, though maybe no one is.

Quote from: thenoise on February 07, 2019, 02:36:28 PM

The dressing is a bit unnecessary, just mayo lemon juice and seasoning is fine, maybe a bit of mustard if you happen to have any in the cupboard.  You should adapt the ingredients based on what you have and/or what is cheap locally.  Spending £7 on one side dish is ludicrous.

Yep, more fool me.  I think I'd seen a review of it that made it sound like the Ferrari of coleslaws and, since my main course was nothing too special, thought I'd try to be impressive with a homemade side dish.  By the time I realised how much the darn stuff was going to cost it was all in the basket and there was little alternative but to press on and hope to be wowed.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on February 07, 2019, 02:36:28 PM

Fuck doing that without a food processor.

Camp Tramp

A pizza place around the corner from me has received some bad reviews.

Very very disappointing
Came in here for a friend's birthday. I ordered Calzone and a "draft" coke.
The £2.75 Coke came out presented in its can which was out of a multipack that clearly stated multipack not to be sold separately on the side.
The calazone then arrived. Cold on the inside, the cheese hadn't even melted, yet from the outside it looked more than over cooked.
I sent the pizza back and they did me another.
The second calzone came out. This time totally cremated (actually black) on the outside and covered in oil. But still raw and cold.
Basic pizza was fine but undercooked.
My friend also had the £5 banoffee pie which was actually one of the tiny ready made jobs you get from the supermarket. It even came in the original small round plastic pot although they had kindly removed the peel off lid. Left the place still hungry.
All in all a total rip off for really bad food!!!

Management didn't take it laying down.

Thank you for visiting us. You look like a customer who didn't want to pay from the beginig. You finished ALL TWO PIZZA we served to you without say anything. Our desert is home made with top quality ingredients from Italy. We will be happy if we won't see you again.

All what your texted in your massage was not true.

Ferris

^I fucking love bad tripadvisor/yelp reviews.

What was that hotel that was posted on here with a pig living on the roof? Or the doors held together with gaffer tape? And the entirely unapologetic owners kept chiming in ("he was my pig, and he was unwell so thanks for reminding me of a difficult time" or "a drunk guest kicked the door in a few weeks ago and we hadn't got round to fixing it yet" etc etc)

That had me laughing like I hadn't done in years. Had to stop reading because I woke up Mrs Ferris. Sensational stuff.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 07, 2019, 08:58:30 PM
^I fucking love bad tripadvisor/yelp reviews.

What was that hotel that was posted on here with a pig living on the roof? Or the doors held together with gaffer tape? And the entirely unapologetic owners kept chiming in ("he was my pig, and he was unwell so thanks for reminding me of a difficult time" or "a drunk guest kicked the door in a few weeks ago and we hadn't got round to fixing it yet" etc etc)

That had me laughing like I hadn't done in years. Had to stop reading because I woke up Mrs Ferris. Sensational stuff.

It was this one. I'm going to read it again

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=70129.0

bgmnts

QuoteThe £2.75 Coke came out presented in its can which was out of a multipack that clearly stated multipack not to be sold separately on the side.

Big laughs.

Anyone paying £2.75 for a can of coke needs help.

Sherman Krank

I had a knock on the door yesterday, it was a delivery woman asking if I'd take in a package for the bloke across the road. I said 'Aye nae bother' and was handed a catering sized box of saveloys.

I've just went and typed 'box of saveloys' into google and found them.
http://www.marfast.co.uk/frozen-food/sausages/tasty-bake-premium-jumbo-saveloy-x36-box.html

Seems like a good deal at 26p a saveloy. I reckon Lidl would struggle to match that.
Could be the wholesalers are finally fighting back.

Twed

Tempted to click "Add To Wishlist" on those as a tribute to bleakness.

I'm also fighting the urge to try and get them shipped transatlantically for a lark.

Twed

Sherman Krank

You wont get Lidl offering that level of commitment to their customers.

Twed

I think sending pork to Syria might be considered a hate crime.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 12:48:49 AM
Tempted to click "Add To Wishlist" on those as a tribute to bleakness.

I'm also fighting the urge to try and get them shipped transatlantically for a lark.

Get 2 boxes and we'll split the transatlantic shipping costs.

Actually, get 4.

Twed

Is Toronto the one that's on the left side of Canada or the right side?

Twed

Ah, the right side! I will remember this forever with the clever pun "My Neighbor Toronto".

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 01:20:44 AM
Ah, the right side! I will remember this forever with the clever pun "My Neighbor Toronto".

Throwing distance from NH, chief. Just ship 'em over, walk to the border and welly them north. I'll find them.

Twed

I think if I threw them into the air like doves they might find their way to you under their own steam.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 08, 2019, 06:04:46 AM
Ferrari of coleslaw made me laugh

Well, at least someone got a brief moment of pleasure from it.  It's an ill wind....