Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:50:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Man sues parents for giving birth to him without consent.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, February 05, 2019, 10:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/feb/05/consent-being-born-man-suing-parents-for-giving-birth-to-him

Quite interesting this. I dare say that if given the choice a lot of us would think being born isn't worth the bother. I think he might also have a point that forcing someone into this world and forcing them to have to have a career just to survive just for a couple of decades of boredom relief is a bit shitty when you think about it.

imitationleather

rasta-spouse

I think I'd prefer it if he sued God. It would make a better movie.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

chveik

Meh. The Grauniad has used that format for years. It's just a little quirky news side column.

If he wins, will his parents be compelled to abort him?

Cloud

Just promise a pardon to his parents if they shoot the ungrateful twat in the head?  Problem solved?

PlanktonSideburns

The fuck is that article style? Felt like an insurance advert

gib

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 05, 2019, 10:46:24 PM
The fuck is that article style? Felt like an insurance advert

was just about to ask the same. There has to be a name for something that shit.

Kelvin

Quote from: gib on February 05, 2019, 10:48:11 PM
was just about to ask the same. There has to be a name for something that shit.

"A Guardian Article."

I assume he's just doing this as some sort of performance art thing. Still, what a dickhead.

gib

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 05, 2019, 10:54:56 PM
I assume he's just doing this as some sort of performance art thing. Still, what a dickhead.

Come on, i've read worse threads, have you seen the pub one!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 05, 2019, 10:54:56 PM
I assume he's just doing this as some sort of performance art thing. And therefore, to an even greater extent, what a dickhead.

PlanktonSideburns

Pretty shite as a piece of performance art really tho inni?
marina abramovic for the I Fucking Love Science generation
GG Allin for people who follow piers Morgan on twitter

Funcrusher

flotemysost

Yeah they've been doing the Pass Notes column in that format for years, it's a bit cringe sometimes, but it's just the style of that regular item.

I agree that the guy seems to be on the knobhead spectrum, but it does make me think of the argument I've seen used online by lots of earnest pro-lifers, 'How would you like it if your parents had aborted you?!' (to which the answer is obviously, well I wouldn't know about it, so it wouldn't bother me one way or the other).

It seems like the idea that choosing to have children is less selfish than choosing to not have children has definitely fallen out of favour, but this is taking it to another level. If your parent/s have generally tried to do a decent job of raising you, providing for you, being loving etc. then it's clearly a pretty pointless/ungrateful thing to say.

I suspect this is either some sort of performance thingy as suggested, or an attempt at Richard Dawkins-style posing an extreme position on social media to prove a hypothetical point.

However the fact that he's in India (rather than Dalston or something) could mean this is quite a daring stance to voice - going by my admittedly very limited knowledge of the country's current social climate and views on family - so fair play to him in that case.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: flotemysost on February 05, 2019, 11:18:59 PM
If your parent/s have generally tried to do a decent job of raising you, providing for you, being loving etc. then it's clearly a pretty pointless/ungrateful thing to say.

Even in the most serene of upbringings, someone's still getting a literal lifetime of modern-day hassle and drudgery against their will. I don't think it's something you have to automatically feel grateful for, it's something people have been conditioned to do, in a process similar to Stockholm Syndrome.

"One woman described how she had been suicidal for six months after giving birth, until she decided to sue her baby for what it had done to her figure."

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 05, 2019, 11:50:56 PM
"One woman described how she had been suicidal for six months after giving birth, until she decided to sue her baby for what it had done to her figure."

fuck's sake.

BlodwynPig

Mister Six

Quote from: flotemysost on February 05, 2019, 11:18:59 PM
Yeah they've been doing the Pass Notes column in that format for years, it's a bit cringe sometimes, but it's just the style of that regular item.

Since the 90s - I'm pretty sure it's been a fixture since the Guide or G2 or whatever that little mini magazine thing was called. Which was also the last time I read the Guardian with any regularity.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 05, 2019, 10:36:15 PM
Meh. The Grauniad has used that format for years. It's just a little quirky news side column.

This makes me wonder if they're still doing that Diary of Sam Cam shite. Google time.

touchingcloth

JesusAndYourBush

What a pillock.  If he wins, does his mum have to shove him back up?

Bronzy

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 06, 2019, 02:13:17 AM
What a pillock.  If he wins, does his mum have to shove him back up?

Ooh, kinky.

I'd pay to see that, phwoar, eh lads?

a duncandisorderly