Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:23:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Man sues parents for giving birth to him without consent.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, February 05, 2019, 10:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

bgmnts

Why aren't anti-natalists (a term I use with such confidence despite hearing about it only 40 seconds ago) killing themselves?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on February 06, 2019, 06:14:52 PM
Why aren't anti-natalists (a term I use with such confidence despite hearing about it only 40 seconds ago) killing themselves?

Because they're berks I recon

chveik

from the VHEMT site:

QuoteQ: Why don't you just kill yourself?
This could be the most frequently asked question of all. Fair enough question: if we're so bad for whatever habitat we're occupying, why don't we just stop it? There are several reasons why retroactive birth control isn't a part of VHEMT.

As explained above, increasing death is like trying to bail out a sinking boat without plugging the leak. People are flooding in twice as fast as they're bailing out.

It's hard enough just to get people to consider not breeding. Advocating suicide, by any method besides old age, would be a particularly hard sell. There's no way we could convince enough people to kill themselves to make a difference, especially after we're too dead to talk. Suicide doesn't set an example others will follow.

Death comes soon enough -- far too soon for many of us. After working most of our lives, a dozen years of retirement isn't too much to ask. Those years may be dedicated to humanitarian and environmental causes.

Shortening an existing person's life by a few decades doesn't avoid as many years of human impact as not creating a whole new life—one with the potential for producing more of us. Four people would have to die 20 years early to offset one new human with 80 years ahead of them, unless they breed.

We have a responsibility to help the world as much as we're able before we die. Leaving the work for others would be irresponsible.

VHEMT is a cause to live for not to die for.

garbed_attic

I mean, they're right, but they don't need to make a song and dance about it.

Replies From View

Because it wouldn't undo the fact that they were born.

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on February 06, 2019, 07:46:01 PM
Because it wouldn't undo the fact that they were born.

Well it would. It would un-birth them.

I honestly don't see what their issues/aims are. It's quite confusing.

ToneLa

Is he suing for money? To, yknow, use in life?

Case dismissed!

Replies From View

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on February 06, 2019, 08:18:05 PM
Can't un-birth someone by killing them.

Death is basically having the life strangled out of you by a metaphorical umbilical cord, before being shoved into a vaginal void.

Pingers

Quote from: bgmnts on February 06, 2019, 08:19:53 PM
Death is basically having the life strangled out of you by a metaphorical umbilical cord, before being shoved into a vaginal void.

No, that's one of your hookups.

thenoise

Quote from: ToneLa on February 06, 2019, 07:56:44 PM
Is he suing for money? To, yknow, use in life?

Case dismissed!

It's difficult to know what kind of case he thinks he has, or any Lawyer silly enough to take him on thinks he has. His parents clearly lost money raising him and paying for his education and upkeep etc. They are unlikely to make any money off him, since he is clearly unemployable or menially employed at best. So on what grounds should they give him money? It's vaguely amusing philosophically, in a sixth form debating society kind of way, but I can't see what it has to do with the legal system.

Pingers

Maybe that old Dutch bloke who wanted to be recongised as a 46 year old can self-identify as the Judaic demon Abyzou and enact an adult miscarriage on this fella. Seems totally obvious now I think of it.

Harley_Quim

Fair enough - but the court should also see him executed immediately with the proceeds of the case being donated to the charity of his choice. He's the victim of forceful existence without consent - so surely removing him of the burden would be the just thing to do...