Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How long were teachers physically abusive / total cunts?

Started by Cloud, February 05, 2019, 10:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Just something that got me thinking after seeing a popular 1940s video, to cut a long story short there's a school scene (albeit a made-up one) and the teacher was actually nice.  I don't know if this was just some random 1940s fantasy or if schools were generally fine but there was some period say in the 50s-70s when it was just sort of 'fashionable' to abuse and terrorise children.  But I don't recall my grandparents talking much about school so it got me wondering if teachers were a bit nicer again when you went further back

My schooling was just after corporal punishment was banned, but before the term 'slowflake' meant anything except a crystalline H2O formation.  Some of the teachers were horrible shouty types of course, but we had some nice ones as well and of course none of them hit us.  They left us with just enough fear that they might, which was a good balance I think.

My parents and others of around their age always talk of how when they were kids and the teachers were just utter cunts, caning them until they were screaming just for whispering to the kid next to them in assembly, throwing board rubbers at them, constantly yelling, any excuse they could find to be twats basically.  I've never heard anything positive about them from that era

But they do look back on it oddly fondly now, "oh you can't do anything to them now" etc.

a duncandisorderly

brian glover's character in 'kes' was like my games teachers at school. others- maths, history, german & so on- thought nothing of getting physically violent if you didn't do exactly what you were supposed to do. one guy in particular was a practitioner of whacking transgressors across the knuckles with the edge of a wooden ruler. mid-late 70s this.

jamiefairlie

Primary school was ok (occasional belting) but fairly civilized. Secondary was fucking brutal though and that was 78 to 84. I was a good pupil too and still got thoroughly brutalized. The world was just generally more violent then, people just accepted it as normal.

Kid in my class got caught chewing gum, and the teacher shot him dead. That's just how it was then.

Bronzy

Kid in my class got caught chewing cum, and the teacher shot his load. That's just how it was then.

BlodwynPig

A kid was put over a desk and the fat teacher belly flopped on him. Another time, the same teacher kicked him round the room. 8 years old we were (so this is 1984).

In secondary school the headteacher of the lower school carried a baseball bat, which he used to smack against the back of kids legs. I got wrapped on the head with his keys for admiring the school trophies instead of facing the front in the dinner queue. 1988/89.

BlodwynPig

Here's the first teacher in one of his folk bands (shades)

JesusAndYourBush

The deputy head used to hold a special assembly where he'd get naughty boys on stage and whack them with a slipper.  One 9 year old boy laughed and deputy head hauled him up on stage and slippered him too.

Bronzy

One of my teachers (now deceased) turned into a piece of brutalist architecture after being called a gobshite by a boy in my year who had Marfan Syndrome.

Wouldn't get away with that these days.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 06, 2019, 12:34:53 AM
Primary school was ok (occasional belting) but fairly civilized. Secondary was fucking brutal though and that was 78 to 84. I was a good pupil too and still got thoroughly brutalized. The world was just generally more violent then, people just accepted it as normal.

>Liam Neeson's new PR person sits back. "that'll do"<

im barry bethel

Had a maths teacher who would tap you on the head with a snooker cue, not for arseing around just for getting something wrong (and specifically having the wrong type of pen). Another had a corrugated plastic pipe he referred to as basher. Plenty of chalk throwers too.

Small Man Big Horse

I got the slipper in my first and middle school (1979 - 85), maybe I had an amazing arse (indeed it's all but certain) but I can't say it hurt in the slightest. Then again I did get the belt at home (only on a few occasions, thankfully my parents weren't belt crazy) so perhaps that's why it didn't bother me.

At middle school our woodwork teacher went crazy and threw a chair at my mate Russell, he didn't get fired for doing so but mysteriously never returned after the summer break that year.

Buelligan

We had a history teacher that would start class by asking all the girls a question.  If you got it wrong, you had to stand on your chair. 

Then he'd ask all the ones on chairs a question, if the got it right, they sat down if the got it wrong they had to stand on the desk. 

Then he asked all the ones on the desk a question, if they got it wrong, they had to bend over and pull their skirts up and stay like that.  All of those would get a question and the one, it was always one, that got it wrong had to go in the supplies cupboard with him. 

We were about 12 years old at the time.  The boys were just watching.  I am not even lying.

studpuppet

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 06, 2019, 02:15:58 AM
Here's the first teacher in one of his folk bands (shades)

The guy on the left is the Spanish bloke from Mind Your Language

thenoise

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 06, 2019, 02:13:48 AM
A kid was put over a desk and the fat teacher belly flopped on him.

Sorry, but this is hilarious.  Especially with the picture.

pancreas

Our teachers used to wake us up before we went to bed and make us clean the lake for three days. When we came back, we'd be fed a lump of freezing cold poison and then murdered in cold blood.

Bronzy

Quote from: Buelligan on February 06, 2019, 10:43:10 AM
We had a history teacher that would start class by asking all the girls a question.  If you got it wrong, you had to stand on your chair. 

Then he'd ask all the ones on chairs a question, if the got it right, they sat down if the got it wrong they had to stand on the desk. 

Then he asked all the ones on the desk a question, if they got it wrong, they had to bend over and pull their skirts up and stay like that.  All of those would get a question and the one, it was always one, that got it wrong had to go in the supplies cupboard with him. 

We were about 12 years old at the time.  The boys were just watching.  I am not even lying.

Maybe he genuinely just needed some help getting supplies?

Captain Z

Quote from: Buelligan on February 06, 2019, 10:43:10 AM

What a terrible system. There must have been a way to streamline that without the need for so many questions.

studpuppet

This guy

Looks lovely doesn't he? Caring, sharing career, working with the homeless and mentally ill, etc.

He was the classic Geography teacher/rugby player combo. Used to take us for rugby and the last person out of the changing room had to do press-ups over a large puddle just outside the door. If he thought you weren't trying hard enough, he'd put his boot in the small of your back and push you down and keep you there so your whole front was soaked in cold muddy water, before the lesson had even started. When it was really cold he'd use his boot/your press-ups to break the ice on the puddle before pushing you into the water to get soaked. He only lasted a couple of years - I think kids were too soft for him so he went off to join the Royal Marines.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thenoise on February 06, 2019, 10:49:30 AM
Sorry, but this is hilarious.  Especially with the picture.

To be fair, Ramsay (the kid), was a bit of tearaway. A ginger headed bespectacled orphan who used to climb over the large fence to go glue sniffing with the drop outs in the swamp adjacent to the School. The glue sniffers had erected teepees from sticks and branches and would hurl abuse at you as you walking up the hill to meet your parents. Quite scary, but not as scary as Mr. Guilfellon, the belly flopping Folky bastard of a teacher (his daughter was severely disabled so he got a lot of sympathy from the parents if we complained of his violence).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: studpuppet on February 06, 2019, 10:46:50 AM
The guy on the left is the Spanish bloke from Mind Your Language

Also Gene Shalit.

Like the OP, corporal punishment was banned just before I went to junior school - it was either the year or two years previous to me where the cane was still used.  By the time I got there it was a stern one-on-one talking to by the headmaster who was one of those teachers who never shouted and always maintained their cool, but you were nevertheless scared because of the previous use of the cane, but also because he was such a strong character.  His office was all alone at the top of a staircase that only went to his office, and if you were naughty you had to sit on one of the chairs at the bottom and wait for the red light to turn green, and only then could you go up.  You'd typically be waiting for at least five minutes (which seems like an age when you're sat like that) before the light went green, and then you had to go up and knock on the (closed) door and wait for him to say "come in".  You're probs thinking that then led to some behind closed door nonceing, but there was none of that.  He was one of those "firm but fair" characters well known in the community.  Long dead now.

Board rubbers were still being chucked by some teachers when I was at secondary school in the first half of the 90s, but rarely - just before I got there a new zero tolerance regime was introduced for bullying (one provable complaint and it was immediate expulsion, with involvement from the police - that wouldn't happen now of course), so bullying was never a problem, and bad behaviour was punished by immediate ejection from the classroom, standing in the corridor facing the wall for the entire lesson - the combination of public humiliation and boredom meant that there wasn't much REALLY bad behaviour whilst I was there, but there were always one or two of course, and they'd be the ones that would get the board rubber.

Alberon

Between 80-85 when I was at secondary school there was one teacher who threw board rubbers. Always aimed to miss, but the sudden bang as it hit the rear wall would wake everyone up. No one messed with him as his prime weapon was sarcasm.

Corporal punishment was banned, but one teacher did have this cane which you could bend in two. One kid picked it up when the teacher was out and bent it the other way snapping it instantly. The teacher, who was a deputy head I think, hauled this kid up in front of the entire assembly to bawl him out which, of course, gave said kid a great deal of kudos with the other pupils.

Beagle 2

One thing that only struck me years later as being out of order in 1986 was having my mouth washed out with actual soap and water because I swore - I'd have been six at the time. The whole experience is really memorable to me, it was one of the filthy bars of soap in the toilets and the teacher stood over me while I did it. I must have told my parents at the time and they were fine with it.

The hitting had well stopped by my era, although one absolute tool wound the teacher up so much he got a chair thrown at his head but everybody thought that was fair enough.

The Culture Bunker

Everything up to Secondary school, I doubt I saw any kind of nastiness from teachers. But in Secondary school (starting 1992), I did see the flying chalk dusters and the odd slap dished out to some of the absolute scrotes they had to put up with. I did have some sympathy for them, as we were talking the future dregs of society who at best could hope to a few years in the army as a career. Teachers were often basically crowd control and I remember a few nervous breakdowns.

On the other hand, my Physics teachers was a right nasty arsehole who openly called me homosexual because I didn't like rugby. Bearing in mind my then sexual orientation ambiguity, it was the last thing I needed in terms of making me an even bigger target for bullying and I hope he's dead now.

MidnightShambler

Like most schools, our PE department was staffed by sex cases and psychopaths. One of the female teachers used to make sure the girls always had a shower and would, by all accounts, be quite proactive in making sure they were clean. But it was 1993 and women weren't paedophiles then so nobody minded.

One of the blokes used to be a forwards coach at Widnes, so he was a typically aggressive, shortarse brick shithouse who regularly threatened kids with serious damage if they fancied their chances. One lad (school bully) kicked a muddy football at him once, which connected. The teacher spun round, knew exactly who it was and sprinted up to him, lifted him up by his neck and screamed in his face (literally an inch away) that he'd fucking do him properly the next time he tried that shit. School bully shit himself so everybody was happy about that, still wasn't right though. We were only 12.

Oh and him and the other games teacher used to take a lot of pleasure in racially abusing a half-Italian lad, who also had the misfortune to be fat. 'You stay in goal Santi, that's right, too much of a coward to come out and play and get hurt aren't you, eh? Typical fucking Italian , scared shitless aren't you? Eh? You'll never lose weight standing still boy' was one particular volley I still remember 25 years later.

Absolute bastards.

I remember vividly the deputy headmaster ripping Dave Booth's spinal cord out of his body and then setting him on fire in front of the whole school for whispering "Gram Parsons" during a 2 minute silence for Townes Van Zandt.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Prison Biscuits on February 06, 2019, 08:58:37 PM
I remember vividly the deputy headmaster ripping Dave Booth's spinal cord out of his body and then setting him on fire in front of the whole school for whispering "Gram Parsons" during a 2 minute silence for Townes Van Zandt.

harsh.

The Culture Bunker

I may be in an exception in that my PE teachers were not sociopaths or perverts. In fact, one time playing rugby after I got flung across the mud by some arsehole, he stopped play, explained why it was a foul and made him do ten laps as punishment. The other PE teacher later tried to get me to go to country training for high jump (being a bit of a beanpole) but I was more interested in masturbation and listening to the Smiths at the time.

Sebastian Cobb

Our PE teacher was an absolute gifford who looked like a faded-ginger Paul Chuckle.

He used to tell us obviously made-up stories about 'the boy before lunch' who either had his eye out with a javelin or seemingly broke world records at running.

For some reason the school decided to put him in charge of exams and invigilation, you could see the other teachers wince as he turned up and shuffled the exam papers mixing everything up.

I got caught doing wanker sign behind his head, presumably it's still on my permanent record and damaging my career.