Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How long were teachers physically abusive / total cunts?

Started by Cloud, February 05, 2019, 10:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

The Physics teacher was the kind of firm but fair - likeable but terrifying - Burnside from The Bill types.

He never resorted to violence, he didn't have to. The curl of his lip when you said something stupid (Me: "TVs are like flies eyes") was enough to get you cowering.

One memorable lesson on gravity, McMahon put his hand up and asked "If all the people in China jumped at the same time, would the Earth fly off its axis?"

Burnside glowered, picked up a piece of paper, held it in front of him and crumpled it with a single fist. We all tittered, more with fear. IF HE COULD DO THAT WITH A PIECE OF A4, IMAGINE WHAT HE WOULD DO WITH MCMAHON!

purlieu

Our woodwork teacher locked an ex-girlfriend of mine in his classroom once.

He also gave a friend of mine 100 lines of "Mrs. Rudge does not like Chinese Sausages". That was a weird lesson.

The Lurker

I'm sure I've mentioned this bloke on here before. Proper arsehole and a complete narcissist. Could give it out but definitely couldn't take it. He pulled a lad out of his chair after he made a jokey comment back to him, he then threw the chair at the computers and keyboards nearby before dragging him out of the class. The teachers hated him too. This would've been in 2005, he was in late 30s at the time so he could well still be teaching - he wasn't at our school for long though, for obvious reasons...

His successor was a bit of a prick too but far more tolerable than his predecessor, he wasn't violent but seemed to get a kick out humiliating school children. I still see him occasionally at the place I play 5-a-side - never said anything to him though like the massive shithouse that I am.

canadagoose

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 06, 2019, 04:44:58 PM
it was one of the filthy bars of soap in the toilets
I'd forgotten there used to be actual bars of soap in the primary school toilets. When was the last time anyone saw a bar of soap in a public toilet? I'm going to go for 1999. I don't think they made it into the new millennium.

Anyway, some of our teachers at high school were part of the "old guard" and although they were generally fine to me, seeing as I was a quiet, meek type that kept out of trouble, they were generally feared a bit. People's parents had stories about the harsh punishments they dished out, and some of them still did the odd unorthodox thing (hitting pupils on the head with rulers, pushing them up against the wall and yelling at them, etc.) They've pretty much all retired now and it's apparently difficult keeping control of the kids. I'm not surprised, considering what they were like when I was there.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think a lot of teachers during my stint at high school (2000 - 2006) had a slight temper, even the younger ones. I remember a good few going all Pink Floyd headmaster on kids that were sent out of class.

purlieu

Oh, I've seen bars of soap in toilets in the last couple of years, probably within the last year itself. Pub toilets frequently have them.

canadagoose

Quote from: purlieu on February 06, 2019, 10:26:00 PM
Oh, I've seen bars of soap in toilets in the last couple of years, probably within the last year itself. Pub toilets frequently have them.
We must live in different universes. I honestly can't recall having seen one in aaaages.

BlodwynPig

The gents toilets of isolated Devon pubs have bars of soap.

purlieu

Yes, they're not the Wetherspoons type of pub, much more of a "nobody's cleaned this place since before the twin towers fell" feel to bar-of-soap pubs, but they're out there.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: purlieu on February 06, 2019, 10:48:13 PM
Yes, they're not the Wetherspoons type of pub, much more of a "nobody's cleaned this place since before the twin towers fell" feel to bar-of-soap pubs, but they're out there.

the bogs are usually outside and around the corner and fucking freezing even in summer.

Cloud

Some of our PE teachers were a bit twattish, but thankfully I don't recall any of them being perverted, and them walking out and leaving us to it in the changing rooms

Rich Uncle Skeleton

There was a particular teacher my older brother warned me about before starting at secondary school around 2000-01?

He probably didn't do much beyond throwing chalk or those chunky wooden board erasers and shouted a lot.
So naturally the legend span wildly out of control and by the time I started at the school, this guy was allegedly hurling chairs and even an entire table at some girl.

Turned out to be bollocks but finding out he was one of my teachers on day bloody one, I spent the first month or so a nervous wreck. Got really scared whenever anyone started acting up in his class, thinking we were about to see a kid choke slammed through a table followed by the steel chair, good gawd almighty!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 06, 2019, 10:50:50 PM
the bogs are usually outside and around the corner and fucking freezing even in summer.

in my experience the best pubs tend to have awful shitters.

imitationleather

Our PE teachers were alright too. Just normal people really. Apart from the South African ones, who I dearly hope are now dead.

pigamus

Quote from: Bronzy on February 06, 2019, 02:32:07 AM
One of my teachers (now deceased) turned into a piece of brutalist architecture after being called a gobshite by a boy in my year who had Marfan Syndrome.

Wouldn't get away with that these days.

Now I'm picturing him turning into Birmingham Central Library.

Bronzy

Quote from: pigamus on February 07, 2019, 01:04:51 PM
Now I'm picturing him turning into Birmingham Central Library.

If only what you picture was true, unfortunately he turned into one of many block of flats in East London that were later demolished.

As for the boy with the Marfan's, he started up his own IT company and eventually got literally shagged up his bony arse to death.

purlieu

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 07, 2019, 12:48:26 PMHe probably didn't do much beyond throwing chalk or those chunky wooden board erasers and shouted a lot.
So naturally the legend span wildly out of control and by the time I started at the school, this guy was allegedly hurling chairs and even an entire table at some girl.
My German teacher for year 8 was widely rumoured to have thrown a pupil down the stairs. It astonishes me that we even believed it at the time.

He was a fucking scary bloke though. You could see where the stories came from.

Look at these bastards, trying to teach kids about gays and transexuals

Next they'll be forcing them to bake bloody cakes for the gays!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/06/religious-freedoms-are-being-destroyed

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 08, 2019, 05:48:26 PM
Look at these bastards, trying to teach kids about gays and transexuals

Next they'll be forcing them to bake bloody cakes for the gays!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/06/religious-freedoms-are-being-destroyed

Gosh, what a very boring poster you are. Is this you trying to show your " amusing " side, or something ? It didn't work. You really are quite colossally, monumentally, almost heroically boring. I'm not even saying that in order to criticise you. It's just an observation. You really are very, very, very boring indeed. I'm sure, deep down, even you know this about yourself.

ToneLa

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 08, 2019, 05:58:01 PM
thought not

One could argue that this thread is not the most appropriate place to debate the article you posted. Also, just to reiterate, and no offence or anything, but you really are very, very, very boring. Almost empirically so. I just want to emphasise that I don't want to have a go at you , but you do seem to be a truly boring individual. Have any of your friends or family ever told you this ? You really do seem to be quite a boring person, indeed.

Cloud

Faith schools shouldn't exist for ANY religion in a modern society run by a (mostly) secular government, as it's a form of indoctrination - and believe me, our school crammed Christianity down our throats like nobody's business.  But why let that get in the way of a good Muslim bashing session.

Not that it has much to do with whether teachers were historically violent and aggressive going back millennia or if it was a blip of the 20th century.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Cloud on February 08, 2019, 06:57:34 PM
Faith schools shouldn't exist for ANY religion in a modern society run by a (mostly) secular government, as it's a form of indoctrination - and believe me, our school crammed Christianity down our throats like nobody's business.  But why let that get in the way of a good Muslim bashing session.

Not that it has much to do with whether teachers were historically violent and aggressive going back millennia or if it was a blip of the 20th century.
Funnily enough, I went to a Catholic senior school (not Catholic myself, it just happened to be across the road from our house and I'm an idle sod) and it was never really pushed on us that much. We got sex education too, to some degree, though part of me thinks it was an effort to try to curb the number of pregnancies. But I certainly agree on your point re faith schools.

They're knocking the place down soon, which does make me feel old.

RedRevolver

I was slapped by my Year 2 teacher at Christmas, 1998. My Year 3 teacher would tell me I was fat on a regular basis.

Pretty much continued to have shitty abusive teachers until I refused to go to school anymore in 2005/6 and my education was ruined.

So I'd argue, it still happens, considering the school system is probably worse than it was when I was in school.

RedRevolver

Quote from: Cloud on February 08, 2019, 06:57:34 PM

We aren't a 'mostly secular' society. We're a Christian state that is tolerant of other faiths.

Andy147

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 08, 2019, 06:10:29 PM
Also, just to reiterate, and no offence or anything, but you really are very, very, very boring. Almost empirically so.

How could someone be boring but not empirically so?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

bgmnts

I had a tall, skinny, scowling (nowadays they'd call it resting bitch face maybe) English teacher in year 10. She is how I imagined a contemporary Lady MacBeth would be.

The rumour was in her early days she was a flamboyant punk lesbian teacher, rocking the pink hair. I'm not going to lie, as gorgeous as the big bosomed French teacher was, and as sultry as one of the Food Tech teachers was, I always had a mega thing for the English teacher as a teenager, imagining she had a whole closet full of BDSM Mistress gear.

She could have caned me six ways til Sunday.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 08, 2019, 05:53:10 PM
Gosh, what a very boring poster you are. Is this you trying to show your " amusing " side, or something ? It didn't work. You really are quite colossally, monumentally, almost heroically boring. I'm not even saying that in order to criticise you. It's just an observation. You really are very, very, very boring indeed. I'm sure, deep down, even you know this about yourself.

Wasn't he being sarcastic?