Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:17:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The ethics of graffiti

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 06, 2019, 09:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

[tag]M Khan enters thread with an axe to grind[/tag]

darby o chill

Quote from: DangledTeeth on February 06, 2019, 07:07:01 PM
Especially with me, the object is more, not the biggest and beautifulest but moaare!!
Ha. Some operator.
QuoteLase: Who do you think had the best pieces, whether you went over them or not?
Cap: Crash, Lee, Skeme and Cos amongst many others and as far as the good pieces go, if it was a nice burner. I would stand in front of it and absorb its greatness before I became the last one to see it run!

Used to love Vulcan.

Aches does some wacky stuff.

a duncandisorderly

I think it should be run like busking down the tube. you pass an audition with some sort of a portfolio- small works done on normal art materials to demonstrate your style & draughtsmanship, then maybe a picture of a larger work that's been done temporarily on a surface (a barn or something) away from the public gaze, & provided for the purpose.

I don't mind a decent mural or a pithy one-liner, but I'm fed up of tags & people practising fat lurid cartoony 3D calligraphy with the same meaningless monosyllabic words for miles & miles alongside the railway. I like the splashes of colour, but very little else about it has any merit.

I can't decide if banksy's a twat (or a collective of them) or not. I liked the shredder thing.

a duncandisorderly

darby o chill

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 06, 2019, 09:26:46 PM
I don't mind a decent mural or a pithy one-liner, but I'm fed up of tags & people practising fat lurid cartoony 3D calligraphy with the same meaningless monosyllabic words for miles & miles alongside the railway. I like the splashes of colour, but very little else about it has any merit.

Your comment reminds me of Mayor Ed Koch in seminal graffiti movie 'Style Wars'. He basically says that for every beautiful piece, there are hundreds of rubbish copycats that cost the city a million dollars to clean up.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: darby o chill on February 06, 2019, 10:13:38 PM
Your comment reminds me of Mayor Ed Koch in seminal graffiti movie 'Style Wars'. He basically says that for every beautiful piece, there are hundreds of rubbish copycats that cost the city a million dollars to clean up.

well, like any other aspect of public affairs, our cities' appearances have to be a matter of democratic process.
'art' like architecture, town/city planning, billboards, street furniture & so on is imposed on us, usually by people we've had a chance to vote for or against.

graffiti is imposed on us without this consensus. tolerating it when it looks attractive & is well executed is a grey area. no pun intended.

darby o chill

I'm pretty much agreeing with you (and Ed Koch). Although 14 year old me would be horrified.
If you've not heard of him, this German guy 'Daim' is insanely good.

Mr Banlon

Oxford Circus station was done on Christmas Day :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FWWokFLE8w
It's usually Camden Town or Brixton at Christmas, but I guess they're too hot now.

Buelligan

The Grenfell stuff needs putting across the green benches.

Who votes for an arrogant empathy-free cunt like this?