Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

An Atlas of Fictional Locations in England, Scotland and Wales

Started by Norton Canes, February 06, 2019, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

What it says. Although it's not really an 'atlas'.

(Click for enlargement)

Didn't realise Scarfolk was supposed to be Morecambe. I always thought of it as being somewhere in the Midlands.

Fambo Number Mive

Fascinating, thank you.

Denton is from A Touch Of Frost, isn't it?

Malcy

bgmnts

I live 5 minutes walk from Pontnewydd but nowhere near Mid Wales.

In fact, mid Wales itself is fictional.

kittens

Ambient Sheep

This is excellent, thank you for highlighting it!

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 06, 2019, 11:08:45 AMDidn't realise Scarfolk was supposed to be Morecambe. I always thought of it as being somewhere in the Midlands.

Yup, as the name suggests, I always had it pegged for somewhere around Norfolk or Suffolk; perhaps bordering on the north Cambridgeshire / south Lincolnshire area.

Perhaps I've been putting too much weight on that naming similarity and not enough on the fact that the name is (I presume) simply a pun on Folk being Scarred for life by their PSAs.

NoSleep

Why is Ham NE of London when there's a non-fictional Ham SW of London?

EOLAN

Quote from: NoSleep on February 06, 2019, 04:36:38 PM

Yep; also thought Highbury was a real place within London as well on this map. Nice to see the distance in the big Barstoneworth against Denley Moor derby.

Norton Canes

The Book Of Dave by Will Self

"Rising sea levels have turned Britain into an archipelago. Small, isolated communities struggle with nature and ideology, their lives a harsh idyll mediated by the Book. The inhabitants of the tiny island of Ham grow wheat, harvest gulls' eggs from the stacks in the bay, and herd the moto, a genetically modified herbivore which exists somewhere at the intersection of pig, cow and two-year-old child..."

Jittlebags

That is going up on the wall NOW. Glad to see both Fulchester and Fitton are on it.

Rizla

Like it. Riddley Walker and Oor Wullie, together at last.

paruses

Thanks for this. Will be making a poster I think.

Scarfolk seems etymologically dubious as a west coast town though. Am sure the bigger brains on here can correct me or declare me an idiot savant.

Glebe

Alan 'LOEG' Moore, eat your heart out... delighted to see Fulchester, Stoneybridge and Crimpton-on-Sea there.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: paruses on February 06, 2019, 05:32:14 PMScarfolk seems etymologically dubious as a west coast town though.

Yup, as can be seen above I totally agree.

I would even have accepted it as being around Scarborough (for obvious reasons) or perhaps part of Devon or Somerset... but not THERE.

I wonder where they got that placement from?  Either there must be something on the website or maybe that's just where the creator(s) live(s) and it's been assumed from there.

Ambient Sheep

OK, the front page of their website now says...

QuoteScarfolk is a town in North West England that did not progress beyond 1979. Instead, the entire decade of the 1970s loops ad infinitum. Here in Scarfolk, pagan rituals blend seamlessly with science; hauntology is a compulsory subject at school, and everyone must be in bed by 8pm because they are perpetually running a slight fever. "Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay." For more information please reread.

...so fair enough.  I'm surprised though, I don't remember seeing that before but then I haven't visited in a LONG time.

Not since 1979, ahahahaha...

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 06, 2019, 08:51:09 PM
Yup, as can be seen above I totally agree.

I would even have accepted it as being around Scarborough (for obvious reasons) or perhaps part of Devon or Somerset... but not THERE.

I wonder where they got that placement from?  Either there must be something on the website or maybe that's just where the creators live and it's been assumed from there.

part of the beauty of the whole scarfolk thing, for me, is precisely that it isn't identifiable as definitely east coast, west coast, or somewhere in the middle, but just perfectly generically & grimly northern. it is neither red rose nor white rose, but more a sort of pissed-on dandelion near some withered rhubarb.

as soon as you localise it to (say) southport or nottingham or huddersfield or redcar, a whole load of baggage comes with, & it's better than that.

[edit] so, yeah, bit surprised by that on their front page.

Ambient Sheep

I'd agree, but until now I didn't even realise it had been localised as "northern", let alone "north-western"!  I just thought it was generic "slightly bleak corner of the UK somewhere near you".

OK, so given "NW" I'd now be thinking further north than that, the obvious candidate would be somewhere around the Windscale/Seascale area, so again am rather confused as to why they put it where they did...

Ambient Sheep

Have to say, it's improved a bit since the last time I went there.  At a quick glance I liked these two, the second one in particular:

Norton Canes

I've posted a comment on the Londonist page featuring the map, asking why Scarfolk has been located near Morecambe.

famethrowa

I was always sure it was "Furness", not Ferness, but google seems divided on the issue?

canadagoose

Quote from: famethrowa on February 06, 2019, 10:21:55 PM
I was always sure it was "Furness", not Ferness, but google seems divided on the issue?
As in Barrow-in-? Pretty certain it's Furness.

studpuppet

Also, why is there a Fitton and then Fitton Airport a hundred miles to the north of it? Or is that supposed to be a gag about airports being miles away from the cities they're named after?

And Spent should be on there, not just Royston Vasey.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 06, 2019, 09:35:16 PM
I've posted a comment on the Londonist page featuring the map, asking why Scarfolk has been located near Morecambe.

Is that Wise?

Mister Six

Uncle TechTip

Sun Hill is missing - huge oversight to miss our boys (and girls) in blue

NurseNugent

There is also a non-fictional Kirkmichael and a non-fictional Port St Mary too.

Interesting that Sodor seems to have borrowed a few actual Manx  names too. Cronk is Manx for hill.

touchingcloth