Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:16:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

An Atlas of Fictional Locations in England, Scotland and Wales

Started by Norton Canes, February 06, 2019, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Cerys

Norton Canes

Sorry, yes, should have made it clear - the map's from The Londonist, it's not my work! They're selling their own prints, even though they're also constantly updating the map.

Malcy

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 07, 2019, 07:21:33 AM
Sorry, yes, should have made it clear - the map's from The Londonist, it's not my work! They're selling their own prints, even though they're also constantly updating the map.

I'll defo buy that once they stop adding to it!

Ambient Sheep

Thanks for putting the link up, Norton, as although I went onto Londonist yesterday to try to find it, I just got swamped by adverts and couldn't see it.  I guess I should have Googled for it.

Quote from: Mister Six on February 06, 2019, 10:40:04 PM
I like that Scarfolk is so close to Royston Vasey.

It shouldn't be, though!

From the article's comments:

Quote from: Danielle CopeRoyston Vasey is definitely not up in Cumbria!
Quote from: MattFromLondonistIt can be either in Derbyshire (where it was filmed) or Cumbria where the village of Alston was inspiration. I've gone for the latter because Cumbria doesn't have very many other places.

gilbertharding

Quote from: NurseNugent on February 06, 2019, 11:11:43 PM
There is also a non-fictional Kirkmichael and a non-fictional Port St Mary too.

Interesting that Sodor seems to have borrowed a few actual Manx  names too. Cronk is Manx for hill.

I knew that the fictional Sodor was adjacent to the Isle of Man - but there is a real life Church of England diocese of Sodor and Man... of course.

The fact that there are two Melchesters was interesting: Roy of the Rovers and Thomas Hardy.

There should be a railway linking Chigley and Trumpton, surely?

Jumblegraws

Always a sucker for things like this.

Question: when I was a lad, The Dandy's official settlement was Dandyville, not Dandytown. Was that just a 90s thing, like how Snap, Crackle and Pop were superheroes for a while between being generic cereal elves,, or is Dandytown a recent change?

Ray Travez

Quote from: Mister Six on February 06, 2019, 10:40:04 PM
I like that Scarfolk is so close to Royston Vasey.
Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 07, 2019, 05:28:00 PM
It shouldn't be, though!

I agree Sheepy, I'd say Royston Vasey is definitely Hadfield in Derbyshire. I used to live near there, Shaun Ryder and Bez both lived there for a while as well. They've got the sign hanging above the door in the main pub, this one-

buzby

Brookside (Croxteth Park) should be South of Newtown (Kirkby), not North-West. That would place it in Sefton.
Also, Seaport (Liverpool) is too far North - they have placed it in Seaforth. A lot of articles online say that this was where Seaport was supposed to represent, but Seaforth's Dock only opened in 1971. Prior to that Seaforth was the more genteel north end of Bootle, not the old, rough port city that Seaport was supposed to be.

Norton Canes

Still no reply to my comment requesting clarification on the situation of Scarfolk.

gib

It's clear now that they should have consulted us before publishing.

ToneLa

Norton Canes

Quote from: Malcy on February 07, 2019, 04:45:42 PM
I'll defo buy that once they stop adding to it!

Yeah, imagine if you'd shelled out on this:

Only to find out that if you'd waited, you could've had this:

Malcy

Some difference there. £30 for the biggest size one. A2 I think.

Captain Z

I only recognise about 5% of these names, what is the context? Literally any place in TV, radio, printed media, internet... ever?

gib

Yeah i think so Z.

Also this whole having a separate index thing, what is this the 90s? Should be ale to click on the map to read about the entry or some kind of hovering tooltip thingy.