Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn

Started by Bently Sheds, February 06, 2019, 12:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

This popped up on my Netflix recommendations ("Because you watched Star Trek Discovery") so I gave it a try seeing as it had Aubrey Plaza and Jermaine Clement in it.

It feels like one of those weird dreams you get when you're really unwell, everything is stilted, ugly and awkward and surreal. It confused me sufficiently that I got really tired and didn't finish it. Will give the rest a crack tonight, but it's possibly one of the oddest films I've seen.

Also Matt Berry in a pastel suit with a Michael Macdonald haircut.

Shit Good Nose

I plodded through it.

Odd for the sake of being odd, and quite dull with it.  Berry's not in it that much.

I should further caveat this by saying I can't stand Jemaine Clement and he ruins everything he's in for me.

Bently Sheds

It did seem to be deliberately strange/bad as if it were striving for "lol @ worst film, evarrr" status like The Room or Birdemic.

Shit Good Nose

Nah, it's more like that Wes Anderson style of pointlessly being a bit askew and off-kilter, rather than knowing ineptitude.

Either way, it's very flat for something which is so odd on the surface.

Enrico Palazzo

I found Craig Robinson's groaning quite amusing.

Crabwalk

Made for and by people who see 'randomness' as inherently funny. I appreciated that it had a sort of singular oddness/grotesquery about it, but nothing added up at all and it's trying SO FUCKING HARD to be a cult favourite it's painful.

I quite enjoyed the sinister receptionist, Aubrey Plaza makes a decent fist of it and I thought the soundtrack was very good. And the 'referee' song was the only thing that got close to the sort of surreal humour that Vic and Bob make look so effortless.

rasta-spouse

Bob recommended this on Athletico Mince.

Avril Lavigne

I really like Aubrey Plaza but I think I made it maybe 20 minutes into this before giving up as I wasn't connecting with anything and it all seemed so thin, detached and superficial.  I didn't finish the previous movie from the same director, The Greasy Strangler, so I'm taking this as final confirmation that his stuff just isn't for me.

Shit Good Nose

BlodwynPig

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2019, 02:09:33 PM
Which was clearly going for a Napoleon Dynamite vibe.

Agreed, although I initially watched it because the trailers reminded me of some of Tim & Eric's stuff.  Their 'Bedtime Stories' show did lot of the same kind of David-Lynch-influenced horror/thriller/strange-comedy thing more successfully and much more succinctly.  Not every episode was great but I'd sooner watch any of them than try to get through Strangler again.

Bently Sheds

Can I shock you? I've never seen Napoleon Dynamite or a Wes Anderson film.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bently Sheds on February 06, 2019, 03:01:23 PM
Can I shock you? I've never seen Napoleon Dynamite or a Wes Anderson film.

I'll leave my Anderson opinions out of this as I know he's generally well liked in these blue walls, but the general Dynamite consensus is that it was MASSIVELY over hyped and over rated.  The passage of time and the fact that it's never had much of a prolonged general popularity beyond its original release may actually work in its favour for people who have never seen it.

Crabwalk

From memory, there's nothing surreal about Napoleon Dynamite is there? It's all about deadpan awkwardness. The central characters are 'weird' but they're portrayed in a recognisable world. Beverly Luff Linn also has lashings of deadpan outsider awkwardness, but the world is far more artificial and dreamlike.

Neither are funny.

Sebastian Cobb

I can't remember if I created a thread when I saw this or just decided not to bother 'cos I thought you'd all say it was wank.

There were a couple of funny bits but it was a bit of a chore.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on February 06, 2019, 01:20:09 PM
I found Craig Robinson's groaning quite amusing.
The bit where Lulu read his note and, as per film tradition, it was read out to us  - but with his echoey groaning instead of words - made me laugh like a drain.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bently Sheds on February 06, 2019, 08:21:03 PM
The bit where Lulu read his note and, as per film tradition, it was read out to us  - but with his echoey groaning instead of words - made me laugh like a drain.

Yeah, even though you could see it coming, that was the one bit that I properly LOLd at.

zomgmouse

Thought there was a thread for this already but apparently not. This was a lot kinder and sweeter than The Greasy Strangler. I laughed quite a bit but it still felt very effortful yet inconsequential to me.

wooders1978

I ended up switching it off after the hotel bar scene - was waiting to see if Berry could rescue it but sadly I realised I was about an hour in and it hadn't elicited a single chuckle - very weird stilted film, felt the same about greasy strangler so I guess the director is not for me either

McFlymo

Still debating if I want to watch the last 20 minutes.

It's a shame that it was so dull, I wanted to like it, and I would have forgiven much of the cringey try-hard weirdness if the other elements had been more intriguing. Very little was funny or interesting from about 15 minutes in.

FWIW, I loved Napoleon Dynamite. I remember people wearing "VOTE PEDRO" t-shirts the odd time, and when certain types of people recommended the film to me I immediately assumed I would definitely hate it, but after all that that I finally watched it. So I would agree that outside of the hype and having low expectations I thought it was quite nice.

As for, Wes Anderson, Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs are both lovely films. I can forgive that quirky, stilted acting and storytelling, when all the other elements are so amazing!

the science eel

Quote from: McFlymo on February 09, 2019, 01:06:11 PM

As for, Wes Anderson, Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs are both lovely films. I can forgive that quirky, stilted acting and storytelling, when all the other elements are so amazing!

YES

that's it

Sebastian Cobb

Wes Anderson got more bearable when he packed in using Owen Wilson.

SteveDave

I really enjoyed this. Jemaine's story about how he got his name had me howling. WITH LAUGHTER!

Also this is a banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsSk0r_Tq8

poodlefaker

SteveDave

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 13, 2019, 09:48:57 AM
Catterick directed by  Wes Anderson

Are you my friend Andrew? This is what he said yesterday.

Speak

Yeah it's definitely got that Catterick/Vic and Bob vibe. The hotel reception bits made me think of The Weekenders. Thought it was too try hard to really pull it off though.