Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:45:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Overwhelmed by humans

Started by Pingers, February 06, 2019, 10:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Cloud on February 07, 2019, 12:37:32 AM
I'm not that worked up about them, they just came to mind because of the thread about said idiot

Sorry for mentioning them I guess?

(Sheesh can't say anything on this forum without someone having a go)

right-o. sorry.
it's just that there are far worse people out there.

shit post, new page.

Ferris

Quote from: Pingers on February 06, 2019, 10:36:40 PM
Thanks Buelligan. I think I just need to know that not everyone is in bits. I appreciate this might the worst forum I could have chosen to pitch this at, but I just need to know that some people are having a good time overall. Please tell me if you are not in bits. Thanks.

Ferris Jr will only sleep on my chest, so the last few nights we've stayed on the sofa listening to audiobooks, and every morning watched the sun rise while he snoozes on and off.

It's why I'm posting so much on here - need to keep myself awake. It's fucking great. Wouldn't change it. It has severely impacted my desolation posting though, too tired and cheerful to do proper deso.

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 06, 2019, 10:52:49 PM
If you've never experienced a Chinese subway during rush hour you don't know the meaning of being overwhelmed by people!

But seriously folks, it's nice to see a bit of optimism here. I'm sure within a few more replies this thread will have turned into another "I wish we were all dead / stop owning things you idiots / having children is genocide" glum and outrage parade.

Yeah the constant doom and gloom is a bit much. My son will become a post-apocalyptic warchief so you're better off trying to curry favour with him now tbh.

Also I like owning things, kids are great, and I'd like everyone to stay alive and happy for as long as well can.

Stick that in yer pipe, Torso. I'm even double-posting because I don't give a FUCK.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 06, 2019, 10:32:08 PM
Yeah overpopulation is a bit of a red herring I reckon. We're all going to space soon anyway. Wheey.

Who's this "we"? The 1% will escape the charred husk of a planet on rockets fuelled by our burning bodies.
Possibly.

mrpupkin

Last night I dreamt of some soldiers from the olden days who got lost in the woods for so long that they were at death's door from exhaustion and starvation, but then they found a big clump of watercress to eat and all went to the pub to celebrate. So you know, it's not all bad.

ToneLa

Quote from: mrpupkin on February 07, 2019, 10:20:26 AM
Last night I dreamt of some soldiers from the olden days who got lost in the woods for so long that they were at death's door from exhaustion and starvation, but then they found a big clump of watercress to eat and all went to the pub to celebrate. So you know, it's not all bad.

As wet dreams go I've had worse.

Ray Travez

@Pingers- I know what you mean; but also on a personal level, I wonder if you're suffering from burn-out? Hard to be facing and dealing with all that on the frontline on a daily basis.

Alberon

What if the predictions are wrong?

https://www.wired.com/story/the-world-might-actually-run-out-of-people/

QuoteYOU KNOW THE story. Despite technologies, regulations, and policies to make humanity less of a strain on the earth, people just won't stop reproducing. By 2050 there will be 9 billion carbon-burning, plastic-polluting, calorie-consuming people on the planet. By 2100, that number will balloon to 11 billion, pushing society into a Soylent Green scenario. Such dire population predictions aren't the stuff of sci-fi; those numbers come from one of the most trusted world authorities, the United Nations.

But what if they're wrong? Not like, off by a rounding error, but like totally, completely goofed?

That's the conclusion Canadian journalist John Ibbitson and political scientist Darrell Bricker come to in their newest book, Empty Planet, due out February 5th. After painstakingly breaking down the numbers for themselves, the pair arrived at a drastically different prediction for the future of the human species. "In roughly three decades, the global population will begin to decline," they write. "Once that decline begins, it will never end.

Their argument is that increasing female reproductive choice and knowledge will send the number of humans on the planet dropping.

Cold Meat Platter

Have you tried having a big wank?

Pingers

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on February 07, 2019, 12:48:56 PM
Have you tried having a big wank?

Since my main line of work has been austerity related I've only been able to have small wanks. If I could set about George Osborne's face with something sharp and heavy, I feel confident I could manage a massive wank after that.

Ferris

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 07, 2019, 12:30:01 PM
@Pingers- I know what you mean; but also on a personal level, I wonder if you're suffering from burn-out? Hard to be facing and dealing with all that on the frontline on a daily basis.

Yeah, this. When did you last take a break? Be kind to yourself, hope you're ok

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Pingers on February 07, 2019, 03:04:53 PM
Since my main line of work has been austerity related I've only been able to have small wanks. If I could set about George Osborne's face with something sharp and heavy, I feel confident I could manage a massive wank after that.

I empathise, I feel the same way about Ian Duncan Smith*

*The cunt

Endicott

Quote from: Pingers on February 06, 2019, 10:36:40 PM
Thanks Buelligan. I think I just need to know that not everyone is in bits. I appreciate this might the worst forum I could have chosen to pitch this at, but I just need to know that some people are having a good time overall. Please tell me if you are not in bits. Thanks.

I'm not in bits. You're welcome.

Are you experiencing burn out? Does your workplace cater for or accept this kind of thing? Sounds like you need a break.

Pingers

Thank you Endicott, Ferris and Ray Travez - part of me does think that I should take a break and do something else for a bit, although another part of me would find that difficult. The effect of austerity on many people is so horrendous that I kind of feel like I need to stay in there and keep helping people. Doing something else would feel a bit like looking the other way, and what I do is something that I am actually good at - in fact our entire service is great, we are able to genuinely help people in awful circumstances and to help them get back on their feet and tackle life again, which feels amazing. It's also the case that the people I work with are exceptional - at their jobs, but also just great humans. I'm knocking on a bit and I've never worked with such a great bunch of lads and lasses; sometimes they work so hard and go so far out of their way to help people out that I start welling up. And they are great to be with outside of work as well.

The responses to this thread have been genuinely helpful; thanks to everyone. Since I stumbled across this forum it has given me loads of proper laughs and no-one has told me to fuck off yet. Hooray for CaB.

Ferris

Quote from: Pingers on February 07, 2019, 07:01:13 PM
Thank you Endicott, Ferris and Ray Travez - part of me does think that I should take a break and do something else for a bit, although another part of me would find that difficult. The effect of austerity on many people is so horrendous that I kind of feel like I need to stay in there and keep helping people. Doing something else would feel a bit like looking the other way, and what I do is something that I am actually good at - in fact our entire service is great, we are able to genuinely help people in awful circumstances and to help them get back on their feet and tackle life again, which feels amazing. It's also the case that the people I work with are exceptional - at their jobs, but also just great humans. I'm knocking on a bit and I've never worked with such a great bunch of lads and lasses; sometimes they work so hard and go so far out of their way to help people out that I start welling up. And they are great to be with outside of work as well.

The responses to this thread have been genuinely helpful; thanks to everyone. Since I stumbled across this forum it has given me loads of proper laughs and no-one has told me to fuck off yet. Hooray for CaB.

Fuck off!

Ferris

(Although genuinely, good on you - I think a bit of a break would do you well but it sounds like you do amazing work and are a better person than I am. All the best.)

Buelligan

Yeah, FUCK OFF PINGERS, it is great here though, int it?  Have a hug Pingers.

purlieu

Quote from: Alberon on February 07, 2019, 12:44:22 PM
What if the predictions are wrong?

https://www.wired.com/story/the-world-might-actually-run-out-of-people/

Their argument is that increasing female reproductive choice and knowledge will send the number of humans on the planet dropping.
I've seen this prediction mentioned a few times, and yes, it's a good thing. But then I've seen people citing it as a reason we just shouldn't care about the possibility of overpopulation at all. As if this prediction is a foregone conclusion.

Frankly, overpopulation or not, I think encouraging people to only have children if they are extremely eager for them and able to look after them, and then considering having fewer, can only have a positive affect on society. Bringing up fewer people in more loving and capable hands can't be a bad thing, surely?

Noonling

People should only have children if they raise them in hexagonal hives.

Buelligan

Which are predominately green.

Pingers

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 07, 2019, 08:31:05 PM
(Although genuinely, good on you - I think a bit of a break would do you well but it sounds like you do amazing work and are a better person than I am. All the best.)

Now then pal, we'll have none of that. This is not some 'does a lot for charidee, doesn't like to talk about it' schtick. We're all doing our best in a leaky boat.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Noonling

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2019, 11:02:40 PM
Which are predominately green.

Well yes, our bee children need to get back to nature and all that.

Their furniture will look like that, but green. Urinals will be hexagonal as well.

Ferris

Quote from: Pingers on February 07, 2019, 11:04:53 PM
Now then pal, we'll have none of that. This is not some 'does a lot for charidee, doesn't like to talk about it' schtick. We're all doing our best in a leaky boat.

I couldn't stick it in a job that I found that stressful by telling myself it helps people. I'd like to think I could (and maybe I would) but I'd find it hard going. Maybe I'm doing myself down, I do like helping people. Maybe I'd keep going with it, but I'm not right now am I? Hmm. Stream of consciousness.

My current job is very stressful (though I'm on parental leave for 7 months) and I only do it because they pay me very well for what I actually do. You've hands-down got me beat in a "who's morally better at work" competition. My mum does wonderful stuff for the kids in her community (that I won't go into now) and with 0 appreciation from the council so I'm piggy-backing off her karma.

...And there's nothing you can do about it.

gib

Have a holiday for gawd's sake. You won't be able to help these people if you are broken.

Glebe

That 'too many people in the world' thing is a bit existential-anxiety triggering problem for me. Crowds and traffic freak me out a lot.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIf you've never experienced a Chinese subway you don't know the meaning of being overwhelmed by people

They'll stick anything in those sandwiches these days.