Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:39:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kingdom Hearts

Started by brat-sampson, February 07, 2019, 06:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

Lol. I mean honestly.

I haven't even played one properly, but figured it was missing a discussion on here.

You can get the 'WHOLE COCKING SAGA' edition for $100 clams on PSN.

Should do?

madhair60

If you like EXTREMELY EARNEST action RPGs and ridiculous Disney fanservice, yes. If you're fully prepared to go balls deep into a very, very anime narrative, yes.

Kingdom Hearts 1, 2 and 3 are three of the tippity top games I ever played. But you have to give a shit about something extremely silly.

Consignia

The gameplay's pretty fun, as is the premise of a Disney/Final Fantasy cross over. However the story is utterly convluted and bat shit. Clearly made as it's gone a long. I've only played the first two games and the PSP spin off, but I've seen a couple of recaps since and the bits I've missed are just so stupid.

That said, one of my favourite moments is Donald Duck screaming "the organisation". Such a silly cartoon character squawking about a big mysterious conspiracy put a smile on my face. Well, 13 years ago it did.

madhair60

Not as good as the bit where Goofy fucking dies in KH2 and there's a close-up of a black hoodie-clad Mickey clenching his fist in vengeful anger before squeaking "They'll pay for this".

I'm not making this up.

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2019, 10:53:29 AM
Not as good as the bit where Goofy fucking dies in KH2

Did the Autopsy finally figure out what kind of animal he was?

gmoney

Is there an easy way to play 1 and 2 that doesn't involve owning a PS2?

Schrodingers Cat

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix (PS4) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MFFGRVP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9AcxCbTNGZZ8P
Other purchasing options are available.

Anyone into Disney anything is an emotionally stunted paedo cunt

Timothy

Quote from: gmoney on February 07, 2019, 12:30:40 PM
Is there an easy way to play 1 and 2 that doesn't involve owning a PS2?

Theres a Story So Far game that is for sale on Amazon. But with the Memory Collection in 3 its possible to start with 3.

KH3 is utterly amazing. A beautiful, funny, nostalgic JRPG. Also amazing soundtrack. Love it so far.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 07, 2019, 12:56:31 PM
Anyone into Disney anything is an emotionally stunted paedo cunt

You literally like Nintendo.

brat-sampson

Best way is absolutely the 1.5+2.5 collection combined with 2.8 collection. They're both on PS4 separately or together in the Story So Far set or you can get both and KH3 in the thing I mentioned in the op digital only on PSN, which is the best value.

Be warned that the half dozen games that aren't just kh1/2 are also required playing/viewing in terms of the plot. Going just through the numbered entries is not advised in terms of actually following what's going on.

I'd say either commit to playing or watching the story on YouTube for the entire series or just jump in with 3 and see what happens...

Timothy

If you jump in with 3 and watch the memory collection before starting then you'll be fine. The story is a mess anyway.

gmoney

Cheers all. I think I want to actually play the games, I'm not actually fussed about the story. I do like a good jrpg, and this passed me by completely originally.

NoSleep

If I want to play a fucked-up FF tie-in I'll stick to Ehrgeiz by the looks. They even crowbarred an RPG into it.

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2019, 01:28:13 PM
You literally like Nintendo.

That doesn't change what he said though.

St_Eddie

I've only played the first game.  Gameplay wise, it was alright, I suppose but nowhere near good enough to give me the inclination to play any of the sequels.  As for the story...

Quote from: Consignia on February 07, 2019, 08:43:00 AM
The gameplay's pretty fun, as is the premise of a Disney/Final Fantasy cross over.

I don't know that I'd call that premise "fun", as much as I would 'nonsensical' and 'fucking stupid'.

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2019, 10:53:29 AM
Not as good as the bit where Goofy fucking dies in KH2 and there's a close-up of a black hoodie-clad Mickey clenching his fist in vengeful anger before squeaking "They'll pay for this".

I'm not making this up.

Fucking state of this!

Z

Is KH3 actually good for what it is then? Is this the one thing Tetsuya Nomura is actually good at?

Thursday

I would say the good thing about Kingdom Hearts is it keeps him away from Final Fantasy games, but he's directing the FFVII remake so that's fucked. (Unless that starts running into problems and he gets moved onto a different project again)

Timothy

He is good at both KH and FF. I dont know what you are talking about.

That FF remake is gonna be great.

Thursday

I'm afraid he's actually bad at Final Fantasy, or at least he's largely responsible for all the FF7 spinoff and extended universe things.

Z

Quote from: Timothy on February 10, 2019, 07:45:42 PM
He is good at both KH and FF. I dont know what you are talking about.

That FF remake is gonna be great.
Kingdom Hearts 3 was in development for what? 7 years officially?
FFXV was a solid 10 years

Considering how big of a $$$ project the FF7 remake is, I wouldn't be surprised if part one is at least five years away.

brat-sampson

Done it. Picked up KH: The Whole Bloody Affair.

I'd already watched someone play through KH1 which is something I never managed, then saw all the Chain of Memories cutscenes on YT as fuck card games and fuck literally retreading all the identical Disney plots from the original with nothing new. So I just had to watch 358 Days of Summer* and now I'm actually playing KH2 and understood what was happening through the Prologue. It's a good game. I've read a ton about how Critical is, like, the only true scotsman's way to play, but fuck that I'm playing on Normal because I don't know what I'm doing. Maybe if I love it I'll go again when i actually get how to use skills and that. For now, there haven't been many non-'Press X a lot' strategic options, but it's opening up more and more. I've finished off Mulan's world and am in Beast's castle. So there.

Afterwards, I've got what, two more *Full* JRPGs, another two cutscene compilation videos and the 2.8 bridging Prologue chapter, then I can do 3 with Maximum Payoff.

Actually looking forward to it.

*Treating the opening half of this as an almost Lynch-style experiment in fucking over the viewer helped a bit here.