Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm thinking of getting a cat

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 07, 2019, 09:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 07, 2019, 09:11:20 PM
This has never been my experience. Cats moved in with me and stayed. They'd never leave the garden or house, even though they had a catflap and could fuck off for extra attention and treats with a neighbour at any time. I'm sure some cats would leave, but you're generalising.

Where did they move in from though?

Twed

Outside. They would hover in my garden for weeks until they felt brave enough to come closer.

You know what cats are, right? You know that some of that don't come from a shop...?

I mean maybe they were owned by somebody and fucked off and then decided to come live with me and never fuck off, but you're blunting Occam's razor here.

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 07, 2019, 09:13:25 PM
Outside. They would hover in my garden for weeks until they felt brave enough to come closer.

You know what cats are, right? You know that some of that don't come from a shop...?

Do you live in the wild? I've never seen a feral cat! In the town I live, or cities. Sadly. Loads of missing cat posters. I'd proper let one stay. Don't quite get who owned them, or if not, where they came from...

Don't knock me for cat ignorance, I'm fuckin deathly allergic, hospital level; never had one never will, just melt at every kitty than comes my way when I'm not being Legend Tony

Twed

Feral cats mainly live in not the wild.

ToneLa. We're talking about cats here. C-A-T-S. They are this shape:

ToneLa

So where are they from? Where did they live before you took them in? They've never been in a house before...? How did  you ascertain they had no owner?

Twed

ToneLa

I am no more learned now than when I asked.

Twed

When they have an owner but want to come and live with you they have to provide you with Form 192-B: Pawtition to Transfer Residence. That's how you know.

ToneLa

I think I'll just ask one of my mates ....Yeah, they talk down to me too, but they listen to me first!

Edit: Ed reckons you're a cat abductor!

Twed

Ed wears three hats and thinks his desk fan is his sister.

ToneLa

Pull the other one mate, Ed doesn't have a desk.

or a cat. Maybe he should pluck one from the... bins? I'm learning here

Late edit: Fucking hell asked my best girl mate. The cat acquisition process seems too dense for me, which is ironic

Brian Freeze

Tone-la -Would it help to think of feral cats as stray cats? Make more sense now?

ToneLa

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 07, 2019, 11:48:41 PM
Tone-la -Would it help to think of feral cats as stray cats? Make more sense now?

Yeah, tons more, thanks. That makes more sense. Could have used that most of a page ago.  :)

Twed

And to be clear, I am talking about feral cats. The last two I had came in as a timid pair after months of ripping open the bin bags to survive. They slowly became tolerant of us, and then became tame and lovely. They must have been quite young as this was around 2009 and one of them is still kicking around with my parents (the other died trying to beat up a dog).

You often hear the "only 8% of feral cats can become tame", but that applies to when you pick them off the streets and decide to try to make them pets. The ones that choose you are automatically part of that 8% on the basis that they want to be around you. The others just leave.

ToneLa

Ooer, back to square one.

Stray cats don't belong anymore, feral never did. That's my understanding.

So uh, how do you tell. Think I get it, see Tags:

Twed. Are you a cat lady mate? Gender swap allowed!

Tags: Twed: thinking of getting a cat. (Waits)

Twed

My gender is cat.

I have one cat, a pet taken in because its owner could not care for it anymore. I will likely always live with a cat but will never take in a cat that wasn't in need (already a pet but in an unsafe/abandoned state or feral moving in).

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 12:39:50 AM
My gender is cat.

That explains taking absolute liberties with me but still being absolutely lovable!

QuoteI have one cat, a pet taken in because its owner could not care for it anymore. I will likely always live with a cat but will never take in a cat that wasn't in need (already a pet but in an unsafe/abandoned state or feral moving in).

All I needed tbh, I am ignorant, last time I had a cat on my lap for more than ten minutes I was in hospital, this is also why I am an atheist, but that's another thread

Keep helping cats. I know you don't need my blessing. You have taught me. It's loyalty. They stay, they WANT to live with you. I'll tell Ed tomorrow he's full of shit and there's no abduction. Happy 40th Ed you judgmental cunt. Cats are boss. If I can't help (and I do a bit, don't make me pull out Tony Meets Cats pics) I'm glad someone can and does:)

Twed

I've never loved and hated anybody so much at the same time before.

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 12:45:10 AM
I've never loved and hated anybody so much at the same time before.

You really ARE a cat!

----

When I was having ale in That London I was drinking ootside with Ed and this cat walked right up to me and wouldn't leave me be. Did not mind, I'm not mental. Nuzzle nuzzle. (Also see: glitch shorts)

And this is my neighbour's one who visits me a few times a week for a stroke, usually find her sitting in my drive by the kitchen door. Lovely purring! Need my inhaler and antihistamine every time. Fuck you, Jesus. She follows me down the road, waits at the end. I love her. It's reciprocal. I understand, I really do. Her owner is a LEGEND from my own school. I'm her bit on the side.

My sister's cat Sue just sleeps on my lap whenever I'm round. Little pink nose! Feel like a cunt washing my hands after.

Christmas Day was absolutely sound with her on my lap and the women in my life bringing me beer so as not to disturb Sue. Happinest I've been in years as my breath shortened. Got pissed, she purred, lovely.

And the Christmas before. Guardian used this pic in an article about "men and their cats". I lied saying she was mine. Who would blame me?

This angel used to lurk in this street by my old work and I'd swerve the canteen just cause this cat and Greggs (trust me, I don't like Greggs that much) was better than work people and I liked them and they (I mean the women, basically) liked me cause I showed them the cat I met on my lunch

And this is another one that would watch me walk past on the same road. How much is that moggy in the window? Priceless. Always sitting there, smiling!

I'm a bird man personally, but will save that... I am convinced, say, bgmnts will post: How do I get a bird?

Cerys

ToneLa

up ye scroll. Click for slightly bigger!

Twed

*rubs my head against ToneLa's leg*

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 01:08:25 AM
*rubs my head against ToneLa's leg*

*instagrams it and wins over strangers*

Cerys

I may have made a sound not dissimilar to 'squoo'.

ToneLa

:)

Dear Fambo
You need a cat in your life. I don't have one and yet I do. Trust me.
Yours,
ToneLa

(You've seen my credentials)

Brian Freeze

This was our pudding yesterday, sat right up on my chest purring as I had just gone to bed and was reading Fambo's opening post asking if a cat has improved your mood.
They have had a massive impact on my mood over the years and they always end up a major part of the family. Especially when I lived alone.

Has anyone had much luck with tortoishell cats not being total female dickheads?
Ive got on with them ok but would actively avoid them when looking to rehome another cat and wondered if the stereotypical behaviour was true or just something Ive come to believe?

Buelligan

I don't know what you mean.  What do you mean?

Brian Freeze

That they are neurotic. Thiis is based on the few I've known and a vet telling me. Just wanted a bigger sample size.

Icehaven

Yes get a cat. Better still get 3 or 4. I love cats. I live for cats. One of the only things (apart from security and chucking money away and being at the mercy of unscrupulous grasping shitheads and boring stuff like that) that I regret about the fact I'll never own my own home is that I'll never be able to fill wherever I live with cats (or even have any for that matter.) I know some renters do but I've yet to see an ad that doesn't say NO PETS in big damning letters, so either they're lucky and found somewhere that does allow them or they're just doing it anyway. There's a post that does the rounds on facebook every now and then about how so many rental ads say no pets but families are welcome, when the damage that can be caused by rampaging children compared to what, if any, would be caused by a cat or two is absurd.