Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm thinking of getting a cat

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 07, 2019, 09:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

I don't agree on keeping Cats inside all the time, despite my love of birds,but regardless cats are bloody good for making you feel good. Nothing like sitting down, reading, watching Groundforce repeats etc and having a cat lay on your lap.

Twed

Quote from: Bazooka on February 08, 2019, 05:30:09 PM
I don't agree on keeping Cats inside all the time, despite my love of birds,but regardless cats are bloody good for making you feel good. Nothing like sitting down, reading, watching Groundforce repeats etc and having a cat lay on your lap.
I sort-of agree. I would never seek out a cat and try to make it an indoors pet, but I absolutely would (and have) take in a pet cat that was already indoctrinated into the indoor lifestyle.

greenman

My two have become indoor pets now but there 16 and one of them needs thyroid medication twice a day, I did have the advantage of a large area of overgrown farmland nearby before that which kept them away from roads.

Buelligan

Quote from: Bazooka on February 08, 2019, 05:30:09 PM

Lay what? 

BTW, did someone actually say "total female dickheads" = "neurotic" just now or did I dream it?

ToneLa

Quote from: Buelligan on February 08, 2019, 10:29:28 PM
Lay what? 

BTW, did someone actually say "total female dickheads" = "neurotic" just now or did I dream it?

Page ago, under my cat photobrag post, you asked the fellow what he means...

I'm a grass aren't I! Ah, as long as my neighbour's cat still comes to me for wuv. Earlier this week she rolled over to get her belly tickled and just looked at me til I, obviously, satisfied my part time cat. Purrs like a... Well. A happy kitty!

gib

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 07, 2019, 09:05:34 AM
I would like an indoor cat. I struggle with MH (and Aspergers) but I am able to do things. I can afford vet bills, rehoming fees, cat toys etc.

How easy is a cat to look after and what advice do you have re getting a cat? Has having a cat helped your mood?

What's MH?

I've got a cat that we found up a tree but if this thread has taught me anything it's that stories about cats rank slightly below posts about dreams so try not to fall into that trap.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Buelligan on February 08, 2019, 10:29:28 PM

It was me. Was rushing to type quickly before going to bed and inserted the word female before dickhead as a last gasp edit because I'd not thought through the wording properly before jumping in and didn't want correcting about the majority of tortys being female and therefore not dickheads.
It was only then I remembered the word I'd meant to use was neurotic.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: gib on February 08, 2019, 11:58:16 PM
What's MH?

I've got a cat that we found up a tree but if this thread has taught me anything it's that stories about cats rank slightly below posts about dreams so try not to fall into that trap.

I think MH = mental health.

Sarge

One of my cats was named "Michael Jackson" by my kids so I hear the words "Michael Jackson" all the time, like, "michael jackson stop licking your anus", or "michael jackson wants to go out the front" or "michael jackson is in my room, is that ok?" etc.  it's like i'm living with michael jackson

Just one of the benefits

Brian Freeze

Just read back my explanation for writing such shit and nowhere do I say sorry.  Very sorry for writing such shit, no offence at all was intended.

Brian Freeze

Fambo  - There was a recentish episode of the Ologies podcast which talks about Feline behaviour with a cat behaviour expert. Some of it might be useful/interesting for when you get a furry friend.

Is twenty-one a really exceptional age for a cat?  I ask, because one of my mother's cats lived to that age, from when she had it first, when it was just weeks old.

Barry Admin

A cat sitting on your lap is a real treat in your day, nice chance to just meditate for a bit. Very relaxing. Get cat.

Barry Admin

Any further thoughts on this Fambo? I must admit that I'm concerned your anxious nature will talk you out of what could be a real improvement in your quality of life, because as I said, having a cat come and sit on your lap is a wonderful, magical, peaceful experience. Same when they go through your legs and rub their scent on you, or curl their tails around you possesively.

Ferris

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 10, 2019, 07:29:48 AM
Is twenty-one a really exceptional age for a cat?  I ask, because one of my mother's cats lived to that age, from when she had it first, when it was just weeks old.

Cats are funny like that - sometimes they just live forever. I met a family member's cat that was 28 at the time. A cat born in the Jimmy Carter administration, lived through Reagan & Thatcher, saw Labour self destruct in '83 and then lived long enough to see the rise (and demise) of New Labour. Astonishing. Think it is no longer with us alas, but may have made it to 30.

It's not the first time I've heard of an incredibly old cat though. I guess they don't get up to much if they don't want to, so they can keep going for longer.

I am an unabashed dog person. Had a cat when I was small (I've seen the photos) but have literally 0 memory of it. The dogs I had when small have let an indelible mark on my psyche because they were so great.

Dogs are great. Maybe cats are too. I cat sit a friend's cat from time to time and she's very nice, real small and chirps like a bird. Likes Mrs Ferris as well but likes me the best obvs. Jumps onto my shoulder and sleeps in my arms. Nice.

Up late feeding Ferris Jr so tired so tired ughhh stream of consciousness should really go back and edit some of that down to make it more readable fuck it post.

Fambo Number Mive

I am still going to get a cat, just trying to get a bit more functional so I can look after it. I've upped my meds recently.so hoping that will help.

Buelligan

Power to you Fambo.   Hope you have a great day, btw, hope everyone does, it's looking pretty blue here and I'm just off to feed the motherfuckers but will be thinking fondly of you all.  Have a lovely day, you fucking fucks.  :)

Fambo Number Mive

Thanks Buelligan, have a great day too

Clownbaby

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2019, 09:52:05 AM

Cats can be the dearest, most loving creatures on the Earth.  Don't believe all that bullshit about them being aloof, that comes from people who haven't known enough cats, have met a garbo cat and think they know cats. 

YAS.  I don't particularly care if someone doesn't totally love cats or is just not keen on them, but I do secretly see "thinking all cats are EVIL" as a red flag sign that someone might be a bit of an idiot

Jockice

People seem to think I'm a cat person because I have a cat. I'm a dog person. Dogs are my very favourite thing. The worst dog on earth is better than the best cat on earth. I tell my Lotte every day that she's a mere cat. See what I did there?

So why do I have a cat I hear you ask, Well when I was a kid I had two dogs, both of whom died at the age of two, which broke my heart.  Plus nowadays there's also the taking them out for walks issue and the living in a flat issue. I'd never even considered having a moggie until I'd been in here for a year or so and one of my next door neighbour's cats had kittens and offered me one. I took one in and that was in. A cute little calico I called Jarvis (I know, but I got it the week Pulp were first on Top Of The Pops. It turned out to be female anyway, so became The Cat Formerly Known As Jarvis, which made it a bugger to call in at night) was great. A real sweetie. But then along came the black and white horror movie that  was Katrina, AKA Pongo.

I got emotionally blackmailed to take her in by my girlfriend at the time whose best friend worked on the reception at a vets where she had been abandoned. The cat that is. It was like taking in a wolf or something. Wild? She was livid. And her and Jarvis hated each other. It was all-out war every single day. Luckily (!) Jarv got run over on Valentine's Day 1999, so Pongo ruled the roost. And she did rule it, handing out savage attacks on a regular basis. That's when she wasn't leaving dead birds under my bed, live mice in my trousers, falling onto my head or getting stuck up trees. It was constant chaos.

She lasted 16 years and when I had to have her put to sleep just before Christmas 2012 it's one of the ten saddest moments of my entire life. I was catless for ooh...three weeks, when an old friend posted on Facebook that she had two get rid of one of her two cats as they didn't get on with each other. I know that feeling. Of course Jane didn't mention that the one she wanted to rehome liked peeing on the floor. It must have slipped her mind. But apart from that Lotte (she's a tabby) is very sweet and affectionate and doesn't even kill other creatures. As far as I know.

But dogs are better anyway. Definitely.

Barry Admin

Buelligan, same to you, with bells on. So you don't scare the birdies.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 17, 2019, 08:01:20 AM
I am still going to get a cat, just trying to get a bit more functional so I can look after it. I've upped my meds recently.so hoping that will help.

Good luck, that sounds wise. I didn't want to browbeat you into it or anything. biggy has talked about getting a cat for years and it's a shame he never has gone through with it. Do you have much experience with cats? It was looking after my sisters that made me realise how awesome they actually are.

Another thing I neglected to mention is the purring, as Jelly can't vocalise his, so it tends to slip my mind. But it's a lovely warm, soothing rumble that calms you both. I just love their intelligence too, especially when you work at learning how they communicate with us. For instance, they will flick their tail towards a door to say "open this, cunty-bollocks, I want out for a pish." It never stops amazing me that humans and animals can find ways to communicate across the species barrier - what marvellous magic! - and cats are particularly astounding in this regard as they are pragmatic and even manipulative in order to get us to do shit. I mean they imitate babies cries, wow.

Fambo Number Mive

I don't feel browbeaten in the slightest, don't worry. I lived in a house with a housemate who had a cat for a couple of years, that's my only experience. I looked after it for a few weeks when he was away. I'm more used to guinea pigs and gerbils (although I've never been the primary caregiver).

Barry Admin

Oh yeah I remember your love of gerbils!

I've said about this before, but it's so cute...

Was just getting dressed in the bedroom and sitting on the bed. Jelly comes in and gets my attention, then walks out the door to the living room and flicks his tail forwards as he goes, pointing for me to follow him :-D I dander in and once he sees I'm there, he goes back and lies down in front of his wee fire. See, you get all that talk about cats not being affectionate and blah blah blah, but this wee man misses me when I'm just one room away. He's a wee dote :-))

Edit: lol I jus put a shoe on so now he's up on my lap.

Buelligan

Never forget how lucky you are to have an animal that loves and trusts you.  IMO, it's the most genuine form of affection a person can know, with their furry little faces and their paddy little hands, how much nicer could it be?  None nicer.

NoOffenceLynn

Fambo. Go for it, they are fantastic animals. And great for MH.

I know(where I live) a few animal shelters will let you go and sit in a room with some cats and see if you're the "right match" for them, but don't be put off by the nervous/shy ones, they can sometimes be the most affectionate once they are out of the stark enivorment of an animal shelter.

Anyway best of luck with it, and everything else. :)

mobias

I say definitely get a cat. Get two though if they're going to be indoor only. Then they can play with each other. Mine are all indoor only.

Cats are ace. Here's some of mine

imitationleather

Well today I got two kittens. I've never had a pet before. They're very energetic, aren't they? I think I like them, though.

Probably won't get bored and start thinking about putting them in the Tyne for at least a week.

touchingcloth

Kittens are the best, but they're going to tear your fucking house apart worse than any dog.

imitationleather

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 27, 2019, 11:44:05 PM
Kittens are the best, but they're going to tear your fucking house apart worse than any dog.

Ah, I never much cared for my house anyway.

One of them will now not stop sitting on my laptop keyboard. She just lies on there and even if I pick the laptop up and move it around she clings on. I guess it's the warmth rather than a developing addiction to the internet.