Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien 40th Anniversary - Cinema re-release in March 2019

Started by thraxx, February 07, 2019, 02:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

Just realised that this is happening, and so soon - very excited.

It doesn't appear that there will be a performance with a live score as they did for Aliens' 30th 2016 - gutted.

I'm looking forward to seeing at least a 4k version and perhaps a new cut?

Any other perfect organisms looking forward to this?

madhair60

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Links? I missed out on seeing the directors cut at the cinema back in 2003.

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2019, 02:43:48 PM
Saw this first time last year. Not that good really.
You and I are enemies now!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2019, 02:43:48 PM
Saw this first time last year. Not that good really.

That's cos you're mental.  Next you'll be saying Aliens is the best one and Resurrection was okay really.

Quote from: thraxx on February 07, 2019, 02:28:12 PM
Just realised that this is happening, and so soon - very excited.

It doesn't appear that there will be a performance with a live score as they did for Aliens' 30th 2016 - gutted.

I'm looking forward to seeing at least a 4k version and perhaps a new cut?

Any other perfect organisms looking forward to this?

I'm actually glad they're not showing it with a live score.  That kind of thing is fine in a theatre where you might have relating scenes projected behind, but when it's done as a proper cinema performance it takes me right out of the film and intrudes on it.  If I go to the cinema, I want to see the film.

I expect it'll be 4K given that they did a new 4K scan for the 40th anniversary blu ray release, but I doubt it'll be a "new" cut.  It might be the "director's cut" but that's been available for ages now of course, and all the cinema websites currently have it listed as 1hr 57mins, which is the original theatrical cut.

madhair60

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 07, 2019, 02:50:50 PMThat's cos you're mental.  Next you'll be saying Aliens is the best one and Resurrection was okay really.

I haven't seen them because I didn't like the original that much.

Been meaning to rewatch it.

Shit Good Nose

Alien 3 is INFINITELY better than Aliens.

And always has been.

So there.

greenman

I'v been expecting to hear Scott's prequels have been ended and there going to remake the original for awhile but nothing so far.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 07, 2019, 03:17:51 PM
Alien 3 is INFINITELY better than Aliens.

And always has been.

So there.
It's not even the best Alien 3 in The Beatles!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on February 07, 2019, 03:27:23 PM
I'v been expecting to hear Scott's prequels have been ended and there going to remake the original for awhile but nothing so far.

With Scott being well up for having another two or three film bridging the gap to Alien, and Prometheus and Covenant doing fairly good (and, in Prometheus' case, better than expected) business, I'd be very surprised if Scott or Fox would drop the series yet.  I know Covenant did less well and slightly underperformed, but it still did well enough.

ToneLa

Quote from: greenman on February 07, 2019, 03:27:23 PM

Scott these days thinks he's a bloody auteur rather than just an ace director. He'd probably remake it himself, with the crap twist that the alien is in fact a human all along.

thraxx

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 07, 2019, 02:50:50 PM
That's cos you're mental.  Next you'll be saying Aliens is the best one and Resurrection was okay really.

I'm actually glad they're not showing it with a live score.  That kind of thing is fine in a theatre where you might have relating scenes projected behind, but when it's done as a proper cinema performance it takes me right out of the film and intrudes on it.  If I go to the cinema, I want to see the film.

I expect it'll be 4K given that they did a new 4K scan for the 40th anniversary blu ray release, but I doubt it'll be a "new" cut.  It might be the "director's cut" but that's been available for ages now of course, and all the cinema websites currently have it listed as 1hr 57mins, which is the original theatrical cut.

I can imagine that it does intrude, but a bit like Alan Partridge's English Breakfast but with regard to the images and music; I may want to mix them but I want that to be my decision. is there some kind of musical sausage that can be used as a breakwater.  They did the Aliens one in the Albert Hall - did anyone go to that?

Can't believe someone doesn't like Alien.

Nobody doesn't like Alien.

A big, fatheaded, smelly nobody, called madhair60 (if that even is their real name).

ToneLa

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 07, 2019, 08:08:33 PM
The Thing (1982) is a million times better.

Struggled for years with "how would The Thing have their memories?" till I read it's a cell-by-cell process replacement it does when it infects you and synapses would not notice that. Brr, your consciousness wouldn't know. Memories are, in a sense, a chemical process. Works for me.

Went from 9 out of 10 to perfect. Perfect. Note to self, watch it every Christmas Day.

madhair60

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: ToneLa on February 07, 2019, 08:48:18 PM
Struggled for years with "how would The Thing have their memories?" till I read it's a cell-by-cell process replacement it does when it infects you and synapses would not notice that. Brr, your consciousness wouldn't know. Memories are, in a sense, a chemical process. Works for me.

Went from 9 out of 10 to perfect. Perfect. Note to self, watch it every Christmas Day.

It's amazingly written and subtly explained, for example when Norris declines taking on leadership when he's already one of the things - in other words it perfectly mimicked his natural meekness and did itself out of being in a better position to take out/replace the entire group.

There are several little moments like that that don't click until you've seen it several times.

Whether it's better than Alien or not...they're both in my top 10, but they're very different stylistically.

kalowski

Quote from: ToneLa on February 07, 2019, 08:48:18 PM

The Thing (1982) is just one of the most perfect films ever made.

Aliens is an utter abomination.

ToneLa

Just need "Prometheus was great" and we have the full set of wtf

Replies From View

I think I'm done with Alien rereleases, to be honest.  Got the theatrical cut and director's cut on DVD - what more could the 40th anniversary release bring?

Shit Good Nose

I agree with kalowski, as Claude well knows.

Naff script with a lot of dreadful dialogue, lots of ropey acting, it looks like it was shot through gauze, and it has dated REALLY badly.

In its defence, the production design and effects are brilliant, and it also did well to confirm that the xenomorphs are intelligent creatures and not just surviving on instincts alone.

Also, I'm not one of those totally lost it mentals who think Resurrection is better.

Alien 3, though - minor masterpiece.

The tough question these days is which is the least bad out of Resurrection, Prometheus and Covenant?

ToneLa

Quote from: Replies From View on February 07, 2019, 10:16:09 PM
I think I'm done with Alien rereleases, to be honest.  Got the theatrical cut and director's cut on DVD - what more could the 40th anniversary release bring?

Ash was a replicant

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 07, 2019, 10:17:33 PM
The tough question these days is which is the least bad out of Resurrection, Prometheus and Covenant?

Covenant.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 07, 2019, 10:17:33 PM
I agree with kalowski, as Claude well knows.

Naff script with a lot of dreadful dialogue, lots of ropey acting, it looks like it was shot through gauze, and it has dated REALLY badly.
But what about Aliens?

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 07, 2019, 03:32:52 PM
With Scott being well up for having another two or three film bridging the gap to Alien, and Prometheus and Covenant doing fairly good (and, in Prometheus' case, better than expected) business, I'd be very surprised if Scott or Fox would drop the series yet.  I know Covenant did less well and slightly underperformed, but it still did well enough.

I suspect we might need one more film doing a bit worse before Fox potentially takes the view hat the series would be better off rebooted provided they can get another big name director to take it on. I do think its a common problem across franchise from that era like Terminator and Predator that what started out as relatively simple premises have become swamped in ever expanding nerdish lore that both clutters up films and makes them think they can get away with very so so quality.

For me Aliens is much better looked at relative to Arnie films like Running Man or Total Recall rather than original, its a simpler less intelligent action film done pretty well. Alien 3 is aiming a good deal higher than that but with patchy results for me, not really sure how that rates the two against each other.