Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien 40th Anniversary - Cinema re-release in March 2019

Started by thraxx, February 07, 2019, 02:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

I honestly quite happily take the first three films as a trilogy (there is no Resurrection), with Covenant as a prequel.

Covenant refers back to the events of Prometheus but it doesn't need you to see it (so you can ignore all the stuff that demystifies the Engineers and fetishises the doughnut-shaped ship), and there probably will be a third film in that set but if it's made and it's bad it won't matter.  In my view Covenant is fine as a stand-alone film.

Jerzy Bondov

The official order from best to worst is:

• Alien vs Predator: Requiem
  • Alien vs Predator
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Prometheus
  • Alien Covenant
  • Alien 3
  • Alien
  • E.T.
  • Aliens

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 08, 2019, 11:17:19 AM
The official order from best to worst is:

• Alien vs Predator: Requiem
  • Alien vs Predator
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Prometheus
  • Alien Covenant
  • Alien 3
  • Alien
  • Mac & Me
  • E.T.
  • Aliens

Fixed.

Norton Canes

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yes. It'll be like that one Wicked, with the alien portrayed as a misunderstood outcast and Ripley as queen of the bitchy cool kids.

I'm in the process of selling quite a few of my Blu-rays to make space for 4K, but I might have to stop short of selling the Aliens box set.  I've noticed that a lot of 4K discs don't feature extended cuts, so Aliens: Special Edition and the "workprint" of Alien 3 might become somewhat hard to come by... Also, I don't see Alien 3 or Resurection getting standalone releases, either, but I guess its early days yet.

Shit Good Nose

4K blu ray at the moment is a pricy business so, just like the very early days of standard blu, the films being given 4K releases for home video are relatively selective - typically only new films that did well at the flicks, and bona fide classics for older films (although there is the odd exception of course).

Whether 4K blu will become a quasi standard like normal blu and will have everything released on it remains to be seen.  Whilst 4K is on its way to becoming some sort of standard for the domestic market (it won't be long before ALL TVs are 4K as standard), most content is streamed or kept on the cloud.  It does look at the moment like physical media is becoming something for cinephiles only (which is why there are so many boutique distributors now) and the uptake of 4K blu ray has been very slow indeed, even slower than standard blu.

tl;dr - I wouldn't put too much faith in the likes of Alien 3 being given a 4K blu any time soon...

I agree with you to an extent, but I read yesterday that Kino are releasing Scott's Hannibal on 4K.  Kino... a botique label... releasing a film that doesn't seem to get talked about that much these days.

Then again, that film probably has less of a controversal reputation than Alien 3 and it made more money, too (despite being crap in my opinion).

ToneLa

I watched Hannibal a couple weeks back on Netflix and it. Were. Shite.

Who needs that in 4K? Who is out there, hankering for it? Everyone I know who loves the books sort of dislikes it...

Aye but no, no, the Criterion Collection might release fuckin Transformers : Dark of the Moon, who needs standards on trusted labels these days??

(I feel old)

I remember seeing Hannibal in the cinema and being throughly pissed off by it.  I hated that they tried to make Lector some kind of lovable anti-hero and the packed out audience were clearly loving it, particularly the gory finale which felt campy more than anything... and don't get me started on the very last scene.  Watched it again on Blu-ray a few years back and indeed...

It. Is. Still. Shite.

greenman

In terms of quality you are a bit more limited in what you can get out of 35mm film as well, I'd guess some improvement beyond BR but perhaps into the realms of diminishing returns?

Another thing that is a little suspect with 4K, is that when they go back to the negative for new transfers, the framing tends to be different.  I don't know why that is, but it's particularly noticable for old films where the director isn't alive to give his imput ; 2001 is a fine example of what I'm talking about...

also, film companies haven't got over the teal and orange trend, which can look totally out of place on older films.

Replies From View

Quote from: goinggoinggone on February 08, 2019, 07:08:57 PM
also, film companies haven't got over the teal and orange trend, which can look totally out of place on older films.

Have they teal-and-oranged the first Alien film?  Fuck's sake.  Like with the final cut of Blade Runner all they're doing is ensuring they have to do an even more final definitive version further down the line.

thraxx

Right, I love the 'making of' that was on the Alien Quadrilogy box set while back, but there even seems to be different cuts of that. I swear I saw one that had an extended bit on the music with James Horner where he is slagging off Cameron and Hurd saying he'd never work with them again, but now I can only find cute where all that is removed.

Did I imagine this or can anyone tell me where I can get that version of the making of?

Also did anyone see the Aliens 30th Albert Hall performance in 2016? Can't believe I missed that.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: ToneLa on February 08, 2019, 06:34:58 PM
Aye but no, no, the Criterion Collection might release fuckin Transformers : Dark of the Moon, who needs standards on trusted labels these days??

(I feel old)

Well, they released Armageddon and Chasing fucking Amy, so......

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: thraxx on February 08, 2019, 08:27:15 PM
Right, I love the 'making of' that was on the Alien Quadrilogy box set while back, but there even seems to be different cuts of that. I swear I saw one that had an extended bit on the music with James Horner where he is slagging off Cameron and Hurd saying he'd never work with them again, but now I can only find cute where all that is removed.

Did I imagine this or can anyone tell me where I can get that version of the making of?

I don't remember either way, but the run time of the music featurette on both my quadrilogy DVD (first pressing) and anthology blu ray set is the same.

There have been loads of Aliens making-ofs over the years, so you may be thinking of a different one.

bgmnts

To preserve sanity:

Alien
Aliens
Alien Resurrection
Alien vs Predator
Alien3

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on February 08, 2019, 08:21:55 PM
Have they teal-and-oranged the first Alien film?  Fuck's sake.  Like with the final cut of Blade Runner all they're doing is ensuring they have to do an even more final definitive version further down the line.
The blu-ray of Alien looks fine (to me at least), but Aliens definitely got the teal look.  It was degrained too.  Apparently, the original theatrical prints were grainy as hell, as was the original DVD and of course, rather than understanding that this was a problem with the original source, people complained... hence a cleaner looking film... that grit and grime that worked in the film's advantage is gone, now.

Quote from: thraxx on February 08, 2019, 08:27:15 PM

Also did anyone see the Aliens 30th Albert Hall performance in 2016? Can't believe I missed that.
I definitely remember that James Horner interview!  He said that he promised himself he'd never work with Cameron again, until a decade or so later he offered Horner Titanic... and the rest they say.

The Alien 3 doc was originally cut on DVD, because there is on-set footage in it of a snarky David Fincher calling Fox "a bunch of Morons".  It was later restored for the Blu-ray for some reason... I wonder why they changed their mind?  A regime change, I guess.

ToneLa

Is there a recut, possibly by a fan, Alien 3 following the Gibson script better or am I just remembering Allen 3 and conning myself as it were shite

Fake edit: ahh thinking of the Re-Assembly Cut. Never seen it

Replies From View

Quote from: goinggoinggone on February 08, 2019, 09:54:10 PM
The Alien 3 doc was originally cut on DVD, because there is on-set footage in it of a snarky David Fincher calling Fox "a bunch of Morons".  It was later restored for the Blu-ray for some reason... I wonder why they changed their mind?  A regime change, I guess.

Is this additional interview footage online anywhere?

hermitical

Quote from: ToneLa on February 08, 2019, 10:59:53 PM
Is there a recut, possibly by a fan, Alien 3 following the Gibson script better or am I just remembering Allen 3 and conning myself as it were shite

Fake edit: ahh thinking of the Re-Assembly Cut. Never seen it

Did you mean the Assembly Cut?
You should see it.I think the Re-Assembly Cut is a fan-edit, splicing theatrical and Assembly versions.
I've got a lot of time for Alien3

Johnny Textface

Not read the thread but I'm guessing someone has expressed the mainstream opinion that Alien 3 is actually the best one.

Avril Lavigne

The unreleased pilot for the spin-off cartoon series 'Operation: Aliens' from 1992 is the best one.

ToneLa

Quote from: hermitical on February 09, 2019, 09:32:09 AM
Did you mean the Assembly Cut?
You should see it.I think the Re-Assembly Cut is a fan-edit, splicing theatrical and Assembly versions.
I've got a lot of time for Alien3

Oh. Yeah I mean the Assembly cut, but googled it and ended up reading about the re-assembly cut. Thanks!

Might give it a watch. I mean, I've seen AvP, Prometheus (in 3D!), Covenant, not like it would could do any damage to an otherwise pristine experience of the Alienverse

Quote from: Replies From View on February 09, 2019, 08:27:29 AM
Is this additional interview footage online anywhere?

Here's the "Fox are morons" clip, though the quality isn't too good...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5sKoQ2UVw

There was more stuff that was added to the Blu-ray, but that was the part that I remember the most.