Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doom Patrol

Started by Alberon, February 07, 2019, 06:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on March 05, 2019, 03:37:06 AM
I wish more people were watching this, because it's so much fun. Really great balance of proper emotion and cartoony OTT-ness, just like Morrison's run, but with a sensibly accessible mainstream tilt.

I do too, and I don't know anyone in real life who is either, I know it's the DC streaming thing rather than Netflix or Amazon but that doesn't normally stop them from torrenting stuff. Hopefully word will slowly spread as like you say it's en enormous amount of fun.

QuoteAnyway, yeah - great fun, although Larry remains probably the least interesting of the protagonists and Rita the most irritating. Love that Jane is coming into her own, though, and they've done a really good job at making Cyborg feel essential, given that he wasn't a big part of the original Doom Patrol runs and his schtick runs dangerously close to both Larry and Cliff's.

I quite like Rita and her standoffish nature, she needs to get in to a bit more soon but I can understand her reluctance, and I'm just fond of the concept of a 1950's starlet having to cope with the world today. I also hope she learns how to control her powers, as she's capable of doing so much more in the comics.

QuoteWas the chap at the end Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man?

It was indeed, and I really hope it wasn't just an one off appearance.

QuoteStill hoping for an appearance by Danny the Street by season's end. And The Beard Hunter. Don't reckon we'll get Flex Mentallo, but that would be a thing wouldn't it?

I'm hoping for all of that too, I doubt we'll get Flex this year but hopefully he'll turn up in the second season.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 05, 2019, 03:40:41 AM
Just thinking - is the theme of this show shitty parenting? There's Cliff, obviously. Larry was probably a decent dad, but not doing his home situation any good (for understandable reasons).

Rita has something involving a baby in her backstory, judging by that second episode. Jane in the comics was sexually abused by her dad, and I imagine they'll keep that even if they're leaning towards evil scientists giving her alters their powers*.

Cyborg's dad is a creepy control freak. And Niles is a father-figure to the team, but has a mildly nefarious air about him.

* In the comic the powers were granted by the Gene Bomb, from the Invasion crossover. Obviously they can't use that here.

I think you're on to something there, it's definitely hinted at a lot in the show so far at least.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 06, 2019, 04:20:49 AM
God, this thread is just going to be me talking to myself, occasionally punctuated by SMBH's reviews, isn't it?

Anyway, John Constantine analogue Willoughby Kipling is in next week's episode, played by Mark Sheppard, because it's apparently illegal to make a genre show without him these days. Trailer here: https://youtu.be/tPfoo8TG_qA

I love this show. It's replaced Chibnall's grimly mediocre Doctor Who as the one series I'm really enthusiastic about week-to-week. Which probably means it's going to get cancelled.

Well, us chatting and my reviews, but hopefully more will be along for the ride soon. And I didn't know that about Kipling but that's great news, he should be a lot of fun. And I've heard a rumour that a second season has already been commissioned, but it hasn't been confirmed just yet. I have a feeling it will be though as the reviews have been so positive which right now probably counts for more than actual viewing figures.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 06, 2019, 10:08:34 AM
Well, us chatting and my reviews, but hopefully more will be along for the ride soon.

Ha, no offence intended - I was just looking at my three consecutive posts and feeling a bit self-conscious.

QuoteAnd I've heard a rumour that a second season has already been commissioned, but it hasn't been confirmed just yet. I have a feeling it will be though as the reviews have been so positive which right now probably counts for more than actual viewing figures.

I'd be surprised if it hadn't already been renewed. Given that the DC streaming service is currently only accessible on home computers - not by PS4 or Xbox or even mobile app - and has just three original programmes (Titans, a revived Young Justice cartoon and Doom Patrol, with Swamp Thing to follow) they must be viewing everything as a loss leader at this point. Certainly expectations for viewing figures must be rock bottom. And it would look bad to cancel one of the few flagship programs at this point.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on March 06, 2019, 02:26:37 PM
Ha, no offence intended - I was just looking at my three consecutive posts and feeling a bit self-conscious.

I can understand that, I still bear the scars from the Moone Boy series 3 thread where I think I managed five posts in a row!

QuoteI'd be surprised if it hadn't already been renewed. Given that the DC streaming service is currently only accessible on home computers - not by PS4 or Xbox or even mobile app - and has just three original programmes (Titans, a revived Young Justice cartoon and Doom Patrol, with Swamp Thing to follow) they must be viewing everything as a loss leader at this point. Certainly expectations for viewing figures must be rock bottom. And it would look bad to cancel one of the few flagship programs at this point.

Yeah, I think you're right there, and hope it's the case. I also heard a rumour that they were thinking about bringing back Constantine with Matt Ryan once again on board for the service, which I hope they do, especially as with it no longer being a network series they'll be able to make it much darker and more faithful to the comics.

Mister Six

Yeah, that seems like a no-brainer since the character (portrayed by Ryan) has continued to be featured in Legends of Tomorrow and a couple of animated films. Clearly there's an audience for him out there, and DC won't have the need for the audience that NBC did.

Guessing he'll turn up at the end of the first season of Swamp Thing, as a teaser for the American Gothic storyline, and get his own show back after that.

Mister Six

SPOILERS FOR SOME OF THE CHARACTERS WE'LL BE SEEING THIS SEASON!

Somehow I missed this interview before: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/doom-patrol-showrunner-jeremy-carver-on-turning-the-comic-into-an-r-rated-series-for-dc

Showrunner Jeremy Carver: "People are gonna see Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man. People are going to see Danny the Street. They're gonna see the Beard Hunter. And they're going to see the Bronze Age Lodestone, and Celsius in an incredibly touching story about an early iteration of the Doom Patrol."

Danny the Street! THE BEARD HUNTER! My god, I'm so happy right now. So very, very much looking forward to this.

No mention of Flex Mentallo, Dorothy or Rhea, mind you. Or Rebis, but s/he might be too much... maybe if Matt Bomer decides to leave. But Rebis is such a weird, cold character it would throw the balance off a bit.

Still, though. THE FUCKING BEARD HUNTER!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on March 07, 2019, 04:19:29 PM
SPOILERS FOR SOME OF THE CHARACTERS WE'LL BE SEEING THIS SEASON!

Somehow I missed this interview before: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/doom-patrol-showrunner-jeremy-carver-on-turning-the-comic-into-an-r-rated-series-for-dc

Showrunner Jeremy Carver: "People are gonna see Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man. People are going to see Danny the Street. They're gonna see the Beard Hunter. And they're going to see the Bronze Age Lodestone, and Celsius in an incredibly touching story about an early iteration of the Doom Patrol."

Danny the Street! THE BEARD HUNTER! My god, I'm so happy right now. So very, very much looking forward to this.

No mention of Flex Mentallo, Dorothy or Rhea, mind you. Or Rebis, but s/he might be too much... maybe if Matt Bomer decides to leave. But Rebis is such a weird, cold character it would throw the balance off a bit.

Still, though. THE FUCKING BEARD HUNTER!

I did a search for Bronze Age Lodestone and couldn't find any reference outside of that interview, so think he might be referring to Rhea there. Either way I'm excited as you are, and when it comes to the other characters you mention I'm happy to wait for season two for them, as long as Monsieur Mallah and the Brain are in that too. Would love an adaptation of Red Jack's storyline as well as that was always one of my favourites.

Mister Six

Oh! Yeah, I read "bronze age Lodestone" as literally being a cavewoman, rather than referring to an era of comics, but of course that's who he means.

Can't believe I forgot about MM and The Brain, although they were only in the one Morrison comic, weren't they? So that'll be why. If they do, I hope they recreate the brain-on-brain battle scene along the lines of this Buffy fight: https://youtu.be/ndKtD7CbQco

Who are the other prominent Morrison characters that aren't just menacing weirdos who speak gobbledygook? Mr Normal's two Legions of Dada are the only ones that come to mind that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread.

The Culture Bunker

I would like to watch this, but will wait till it's either on Netflix or comes out on Blu-Ray. Can't be arsed watching streams, as my laptop is a piece of crap. But certainly chuffed Danny the Street features.

Mister Six

I doubt it'll be on Netflix unless DC's streaming service folds soon. Why not torrent it? That's what the cool kids do.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on March 07, 2019, 08:23:27 PM
I doubt it'll be on Netflix unless DC's streaming service folds soon. Why not torrent it? That's what the cool kids do.
Well, Titans was on Netflix, but I guess if the DC thing is available over here then I guess it won't appear elsewhere.

And, call me old-fashioned, I'm not keen on nicking my entertainment. Still buy CDs, still buy Blu-Rays, still go to the cinema. Some mugs have to pay, after all, so you cool kids can get it for nowt.

Mister Six

Why not watch it now and buy the Blu-ray later?

Stand corrected - if Titans ended up on Netflix then Doom Patrol likely will too. I thought the DC service was available worldwide but I suppose not. Which only makes it seem even shitter.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on March 07, 2019, 07:13:42 PM
Oh! Yeah, I read "bronze age Lodestone" as literally being a cavewoman, rather than referring to an era of comics, but of course that's who he means.

Can't believe I forgot about MM and The Brain, although they were only in the one Morrison comic, weren't they? So that'll be why. If they do, I hope they recreate the brain-on-brain battle scene along the lines of this Buffy fight: https://youtu.be/ndKtD7CbQco

I think so, they were brought back but I don't think it was in the Morrison era, though I could be wrong.

QuoteWho are the other prominent Morrison characters that aren't just menacing weirdos who speak gobbledygook? Mr Normal's two Legions of Dada are the only ones that come to mind that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread.

I can't think of anyone either, I mean Will Magnus turned up a few times but obviously Morrison didn't create him. Otherwise my mind's blank right now.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 07, 2019, 08:34:17 PM
Why not watch it now and buy the Blu-ray later?

Stand corrected - if Titans ended up on Netflix then Doom Patrol likely will too. I thought the DC service was available worldwide but I suppose not. Which only makes it seem even shitter.

You should definitely do this, it's a guilt free way to watch it and then you can join myself and Mister Six in talking about how superb it is.

Mister Six

Bit of a step down this week, I thought. Still good fun, but somehow felt a bit... flat? I liked about 50 percent of the Kipling stuff, but the other half - the half that contains "knowing gum" and sriracha rosary beads - seemed rather lolrandom and gimmicky in the worst way. But maybe that's from the comic and I've just forgotten. Weird that they took the bit about Kipling trapping the baddies in a kids' book, but didn't bother to actually spell that out.

Also, Mark Sheppard is just doing Mark Sheppard, as I think we all (both) knew he would. He didn't even seem to be drunk, despite everyone commenting on it. Gads, can you imagine if they'd got Richard E Grant in to play this role?

The writing was too on-the-nose too. It was bad enough when people were outright stating their various character flaws in dialogue, but then we have it acted out for us in the Nurnheim castle! Lazy, lazy stuff. And the direction was mostly functional at best.

Still, there were bits I liked: Rita stepping up her game and becoming rather more entertaining with it; all of the visuals in Nurnheim (especially the giant, dead dad); much of Kipling's dialogue and his bantering with the team; and the hints at what's going on with the negative spirit. It remains entertaining even when it's not performing at peak.

Small Man Big Horse

I felt the same way, like you there were a lot of elements I liked (especially Nurnheim) but the Kippling stuff didn't quite work for me either, or at least not all of it. There were some really nice concepts there but they felt a bit throwaway, and would have benefited from being explored in more depth, plus the rest of the group's reactions to Kipling's magic felt off, like they weren't amazed or shocked and just took it as it came. Still, like you say, even though it wasn't at it's best there was still a lot to like, and hopefully next week's will be better.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Guess what? I've been watching it since the very beginning, and I've just found that thread.

DC Universe is indeed a US only service, but it also works on Apple TV, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. The thing is that it's intended to be a stop-gap measure. AT&T plans to have their own Disney+ with Warner, Turner and HBO content and several tiers of programming. DC Universe will be most likely folded into that Warner+ thingy when it's launched, so they're now building interest for some exclusive DC content with this season as a teaser for the forthcoming main service. So, unless it's a disaster among reviewers (which it's not), that's the kind of exclusive stuff that will most likely get a second season, as SMBH mentioned.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/warnermedia-direct-to-consumer-streaming-service-john-stankey-1202975598/

The service will also be US only at start, and it's likely that the show will be on Netflix in other countries a little time after the season finale is done, so they can have the episodes translated and dubbed.

Anyway, I like it a lot. I didn't know the comics at all, and my only exposure to Cyborg was from the Justice League movie, but I love the tone. It has a loose vibe, it doesn't take itself too seriously (but it doesn't call too much intention on that, unlike the Deadpool films), and it fully embraces the episodic format. The CGI in the early episodes was quite cheap (especially the Rita stuff), but it's improving. They seem to have invested most of their budget into the cast (even if two of the bigger names do mostly voices) and the soundtrack. David Bowie, Echo & The Bunnymen, Dead Kennedys, Bikini Kill... There are some fine picks in it. And April Bowlby as a fifties vamp is quite easy on the eyes.

I agree that the latest episode was a little disappointing, as it relied mostly on Kipling, rather than pushing the existing characters like earlier. Also, it stopped in the middle of the action, which means we won't get a full idea of this arc before next week at best.

Mister Six

Glad you're enjoying it, Ant Farm Keyboard! Interested to hear about the AT&T thing. It does make sense now, and makes me hopeful that this show will make it to season three, at least.

The other thing that bothered me about this episode was the pacing. The plot consisted of just four key points:

1- Kipling appears and tells the Patrol to get the boy
2- They get the boy
3- They defend and lose the boy
4- The Decreator awakes

But 1 and 2 happen within minutes of each other, as do 3 and 4, and the result is the Patrol spend most of the episode sat around in two rooms talking. Possibly budget issues made this impossible, but ideally they should have cut a bunch of the redundant and terrible dialogue (we were doing just fine without having Cliff and Jane's relationship or self-perception spelled out for us, and Rita's character is perfectly well-established, no need for her bickering with Cyborg) and squeezed another action scene in so that 2 doesn't happen offscreen (as funny as that bit was in the moment). That way we feel their victory and their loss more fully, and and the characters spend less of the middle of the episode twiddling their thumbs.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 09, 2019, 09:05:04 AM
There were some really nice concepts there but they felt a bit throwaway, and would have benefited from being explored in more depth

To be fair, they're doing better at this than Morrison's original comics, which were frequently a cavalcade of great ideas/concepts that were quickly tossed out in favour of the next one, with no explanation. In the comic version of this story, which featured the Dry Gentlemen, creepy nuns and hooded monks, there were also possessed kites made of human skin; hellish toddlers on trikes that turn people into screaming shadows; man-eating troglodytes made of discarded flesh and wielding giant knives and forks; suited assassins with planets for heads; and probably some others I've forgotten (actually I just checked - there are another eight oddities that I haven't named). Plus the boy with the book on his skin and the fella who becomes a portal to Nurnheim, of course.

As subpar as I believe the writers of this episode to be, they did improve on the leaders of Nurnheim, who in the comics were Just Another Creepy Thing - a pair talking of glove puppets on the hands of two "dead" marionettes:

Which is a cool visual, but comes amid a whole bunch of other cool visuals, and so doesn't really feel like much at all. Turning them into the boy's parents, while it may have been a budget-saving move (also they had puppets last week...), helps make the story feel more cohesive and is arguably a more arresting image (just-slightly-too-big people are more unnerving than giant puppets... or is that just me?). Plus, as I said, the father being made king but still being dead is a wonderfully macabre touch.

arpster

Loving this....huge fun. 4 Ep's in and cant wait for the next one

Small Man Big Horse

I'm glad Ant Farm Keyboard and arpster have joined us, one day we'll get all of CaB watching this, or I'll die trying at least. The fifth episode's now available and it was a real return to form after last week's slightly bland outing, with lashings of Mr Nobody and some cool stuff with Jane, Willoughby was used in a much more interesting manner and it was great to see The Chief again as well, with it being beautifully mental stuff in general.

Mister Six

Not seen five yet but am introducing Mrs Six to this tonight.

Meanwhile, episode one is now free to watch on DC Universe (but only in the US). Spread the word (but, as mentioned, only in the US)!

https://www.dcuniverse.com/videos/doom-patrol/181/season-1

Mister Six

Yep, episode five is a massive return to form. Doom Patrol is great at turning big expositionary flashbacks into genuinely interesting vignettes - even better when, as here, they advance the plot.

The zipping to and fro in time as the cult decide on exactly how their saviour will manifest was great too, and it was lovely to see Dalton back in the game.

I have to say I did prefer the comic's solution to the problem - the Patrol don't stop the Decreator, just slow it down to the point that nobody will notice, which is why sometimes socks and things just vanish - but this was a fine alternative.

Next week's looks like it'll be some kind of flashback - possibly a look back at a previous iteration of the Doom Patrol? They seem to be wearing the original DP costumes.

Alberon

I'm not commenting much as I'm pretty much always a week behind so not reading the posts too closely. I'll try to watch the latest one tomorrow. But I am really liking this series, such a step up from Titans.

Alberon

Finally up to date. Lovely bonkers episode with Mr Nobody reaching back in time but why has he got Jane looking for the Doom Patrol?

I loved the comic resolution as well. It's always stuck with me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Alberon on March 17, 2019, 09:59:31 PM
Finally up to date. Lovely bonkers episode with Mr Nobody reaching back in time but why has he got Jane looking for the Doom Patrol?

I guess it's a reference to the old team, as Mister Six mentioned above there's going to be a flashback episode with them in, but I don't know why he's doing such a thing.

Oh, and Mister Six, what did Mrs Six make of it all?

Mister Six

Mrs Six bloody loves it. She's bored of earnest superheroes, so having a bunch of misfits cajoled into doing the right thing appeals to her. The aesthetic, tone and music are up her street too. And she's not familiar with the comics at all (I don't think she even knows Cyborg, having not seen Justice League) so it's all new to her.

Only seen the first three episodes so far. Will be interesting to see her reaction to the first properly Grant Morrisony episode when we watch it tonight or tomorrow. But she says she hasn't felt anything thus far has been that weird - even the talking cockroach was pre-empted by bloody Big Mouth.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on March 18, 2019, 10:44:29 PM
Mrs Six bloody loves it. She's bored of earnest superheroes, so having a bunch of misfits cajoled into doing the right thing appeals to her. The aesthetic, tone and music are up her street too. And she's not familiar with the comics at all (I don't think she even knows Cyborg, having not seen Justice League) so it's all new to her.

Only seen the first three episodes so far. Will be interesting to see her reaction to the first properly Grant Morrisony episode when we watch it tonight or tomorrow. But she says she hasn't felt anything thus far has been that weird - even the talking cockroach was pre-empted by bloody Big Mouth.

That's great to hear, I'm trying to persuade Mrs SMBH to watch it too and I think she will at some point, but as she generally doesn't have a huge amount of time for superhero stuff it probably won't be any time soon.

Mister Six

Neither does Mrs Six - maybe explain that it's not really much like a superhero story at all?

I've been watching this and it's been great fun with the added frisson that it walks a tightrope in that it is so far on the side of nicely weird but it could feels like it could fall at any point into total whimsy.

A minor complaint with a chance I sound like an old prude: too much fucking swearing, the old Torchwood problem of showing its adult and because they can.

Mister Six

Mrs Six eagerly awaiting tomorrow's episode. She's even going to pick up the first collection of Morrison's issues from the library, and she has zero interest in comics usually. Exciting times!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on March 19, 2019, 03:08:52 PM
Neither does Mrs Six - maybe explain that it's not really much like a superhero story at all?

That's the angle I'm pursuing, and she does show interest but so far hasn't got around to it, but I will persevere.

Episode six was gloriously fucked up again, I wish it had a slightly higher budget so we could have seen the fight between Mr Nobody, his vinyl warriors and the 60's version of Doom Patrol, and it's a shame we saw so little of Rhea, but despite that it was still a joy and I loved all the Mento madness.

Mister Six

Yeah I was disappointed by the limited appearance by Rhea. Interested by the fact that Rita didn't think it was odd that Mento had aged at all (Arani actually was the Chief's wife in the comics, and he shared his anti-ageing serum with her - be interesting to see how much of a cunt he is in this version, since he clearly has some way to avoid ageing).

Rita's backstory continues to intrigue, as does Jane's - like that the jigsaw visual in the intro has a deeper meaning within the show. Was that from the comics? I really ought to do a re-read soon.

The "kids" being taught by Rhea and Arani reminded me of Umbrella Academy (as well as X-Men, obv), and emphasised how much Doom Patrol is doing everything - childhood trauma, awful father figures, selfish scientists and all - so much better.

Only thing that irritated me was the Negative Spirit's intervention. As with the second episode, it felt like a cheap way to resolve the problem rather than have any of the actual characters sort it out. I hope that once the spirit's motivations are made clear all we've seen will make sense.