Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Woody Allen sues Amazon

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, February 07, 2019, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought Gemma Jones was great in You Will Meet. Her descent has stayed with me. Like Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream.

greenman

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 05, 2019, 08:22:17 AM
Andrew "Dice" Clay also very good in Blue Jasmine

Seems really that Allen is locked into the idea of colourful supporting roles but the lead characters end up far less interesting and the performances don't really dominant the film. It might be doing Allen a disservice but I did get the sense the film benefited from the character being pulled in two directions, his wanting to make her a more dislikeable cliché and Blanchet wanting to make her more tragic.

chveik

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on June 04, 2019, 10:53:09 PM
'The film tells the story of a married American couple who go to the San Sebastian Film Festival. They get caught up in the magic of the festival, the beauty and charm of Spain and the fantasy of movies. She has an affair with a brilliant French movie director, and he falls in love with a beautiful Spanish woman who lives there. It is a comedy-romance that resolves itself in a funny but romantic way.'

Radical stuff from the Woodster.

fucks sake. what a boring cunt.

Bennett Brauer

Not sure this is worth a new thread, but https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/04/scarlett-johansson-defends-woody-allen. I admire her for being honest, but inevitably she's getting flak for it.

marquis_de_sad

She has been the focus of a lot of unthinking wokeness. Maybe that influenced her? Fair play to her for standing up for him in public, but I can't help but feel like even if the worst stuff isn't true, Allen is still a bit of a wrong 'un.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 04, 2019, 11:21:47 PMbut I can't help but feel like even if the worst stuff isn't true, Allen is still a bit of a wrong 'un.

IGNORE

EDIT: Not your post, Marquis, just my reply.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 04, 2019, 11:21:47 PM
She has been the focus of a lot of unthinking wokeness. Maybe that influenced her? Fair play to her for standing up for him in public, but I can't help but feel like even if the worst stuff isn't true, Allen is still a bit of a wrong 'un.
Woody Allen loves Scarlet Johannsen. Now that she's old enough to play a mother not so much.

Piggyoioi

Good on her for having a backbone, rarity for actors today.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on May 08, 2019, 06:40:36 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/movies/woody-allen-memoir.html

Publishers rejecting his autobiography. Insane.

As you probably know he eventually found a publisher in Hachette, but the book was pulped a couple of weeks ago at the last minute in the face of objections from staff and Ronan Farrow (Hachette had been his publisher).

I thought that was it for a while but apparently out of the blue the book is out and getting a lot of people saying ooh and ah, mostly on the subject of lust with Soon-Yi and Mia being nuts - nothing about how much that giant banana skin cost.

Short extract on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0868WQQ36/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=woody+apropos&qid=1585010190&sr=8-2

I'll probably buy this with a little trepidation. I love his old prose but have just watched Irrational Man with its tin-eared dialogue and I'm not sure it'll be worth it.

Dare I say it but that extract is pretty good

chveik

there's some fucked up shit in this book I reckon