Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mahogany

Started by Cerys, February 07, 2019, 11:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Probably been discussed before but why is mahogany still a thing?

We all know by now that wooden furniture is unnecessary.  It's harmful to nature, so why do people persist with this model?

It doesn't really affect me at all because I don't have the money to mahoganise my home BUT it does weirdly irritate me.

Genuine answers and actually funny joke answers please.

bgmnts

Unless anyone can make a good case for mahogany, I'm putting it into Room 101.

Cerys

If it's cultivated for the wood, at least the species will continue to exist rather than being eaten by a bewildered jaguar.

Noonling

It's always the people with no mahogany that claim its unnecessary and harmful etc. I imagine some people may genuinely not suit mahogany, but I think a lot of people haven't had a really, really good piece of mahogany furniture, so assume its not really for anyone.

ToneLa

For you. If you're telling me I've never witnessed successful mahogany, well... You're sort of hinting the natural state is pine, but I'd rather be decoratively minimalist, to be honest, in terms of how natural I find each to me, personally, speaking for nobody else. There's room for it all! Furniture is fuckin beautiful, it really is. Variety is not the spice of life; it is the definition of your living room.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: bgmnts on February 07, 2019, 11:12:33 PM
Unless anyone can make a good case for mahogany, I'm putting it into Room 101.
If you get rid of mahogany then how are Gibson supposed to keep conning suckers into shelling out silly money for their poorly built guitars?
No one is gonna pay five grand for cedar, not even Bonamassa.

By the way, it's said in guitarist folklore that if you stand in front of a mirror and say 'mahogany' three times Henry Juszkiewicz will appear behind you and then smash up all your Fenders.

bomb_dog

I always go for the wooden clog or the wooden dog.

ToneLa

Quote from: bomb_dog on February 08, 2019, 12:18:18 AM
I always go for the wooden clog

After a bout of non-monogamy I sometimes end up with this :(

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Cerys on February 07, 2019, 11:11:19 PM
We all know by now that wooden furniture is unnecessary.  It's harmful to nature, so why do people persist with this model?
#NotAllTrees

I've actually watched a bunch of interesting (to me at least) architecture and engineering videos on Youtube recently, all about wood possibly being the building material of the future. Steel and concrete both have huge, sasquatch-clown sized carbon footprints, whereas wood actively removes CO2 from the atmosphere.

Obviously, the wood should be from responsibly managed forests and that. No slashing and burning the rainforests.

Dex Sawash

Billy Dee Williams is reslly great in this

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, strange material to pick on given it can be sourced sustainably and has a far smaller footprint than steel/plastic.

Quite a lot of work to do on the sustainability front of course, the logging industry are unscrupulous massive cunts, but it isn't as though the material itself is inherently bad.

Design-wise, wood is also one of the few things that not only ages well but inproves with age.

SteveDave

Do you know where you're going to?

touchingcloth

What is this thread? Who are you people?

Brian Freeze

Ive got some mahogany type timbers and no idea what to do with it. Got a fair few chunks but am not keen on the look of it, too dark.
Any ideas what to make with it?

Pijlstaart

Wouldn't buy it in logs, I'd go for twigs. Think about it. Cheaper, more portable, nose-picking excursions, the smarter choice. I'd do a nice twig palisade so I wouldn't roll out of bed, and I'd have twig earrings and a twig cat.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Has anyone ever used Rich Mahogany as an alias? I might do so, if I'm ever in need of one.

If, for some bizarre reason, I had a pet wolf, I'd call it Lou Pine.