Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:45:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Albert Finney dies

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, February 08, 2019, 02:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47175304

Saw him on stage for a panel about Peter Schaffer once, and he had a hell of a presence even when he wasn't 'on'

Glebe

biggytitbo

Feels like an actor we didn't see enough off, especially later in his career. I suppose it meant we never got sick of him either.

RIP.

Small Man Big Horse

He's one of those actors who I thought had been in more things that I loved than he actually had, but he certainly was mighty in a good few classics like Miller's Crossing, Tom Jones and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

Has anyone watched Karaoke and Cold Lazarus recently? I remember not being that impressed with them at the time (despite otherwise being a huge fan of Potter) but Finney's passing has given me a renewed interest in checking them out.

baptist

Chollis

He's definitely not been in quite as many out-and-out classics as you would expect from someone of his stature, but he's one of those people who consistently put in first rate performances in lower profile stuff waiting to be rediscovered.

He seemed to pick his projects very carefully, so it's a rather oddly shaped career, flitting between Hollywood and more intimate projects for British television. One of those guys who got more interesting once he filled out and got older. He's extraordinary in what is now his last major performance in 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead', his grieving father is viscerally uncomfortable to watch, and haunts the whole film.

Bennett Brauer

Brilliant as the alcoholic owner of a haunted country hotel in The Green Man too.

(All three episodes on yt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdK93bYG6gE)

Norton Canes

Crabwalk

His character falling down the stairs pissed in 'Saturday Night & Sunday Morning' is one of the best moments in the history of British Cinema.

Briefly featured here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gY5a8n1Hg

RIP.

greenman

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 08, 2019, 03:03:43 PM
Brilliant as the alcoholic owner of a haunted country hotel in The Green Man too.

(All three episodes on yt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdK93bYG6gE)

Where my forum name comes from.

Blumf

His film catalogue is certainly eclectic.

Although not a classic, Looker (1981) is an interesting watch. Some cutting edge CGI, and a subject that has effectively become reality.

Blue Jam

Albert Finished.

He was good in Skyfall:

"Welcome tae Heaven"

Nowhere Man

'Saturday Night & Sunday Morning' will always be a true classic of British cinema, not to mention his very offbeat but very touching portrayal in 'Big Fish'.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2019, 02:28:06 PM
Has anyone watched Karaoke and Cold Lazarus recently? I remember not being that impressed with them at the time (despite otherwise being a huge fan of Potter) but Finney's passing has given me a renewed interest in checking them out.

Karaoke is pretty decent. Obviously it pales in comparison to The Singing Detective, which it has some similarities with, but still not bad. Cold Lazarus is unwatchable.

Keebleman

From about 2000 on, he and Brian "Don't Ask Me About Physics I'm Not That One" Cox looked like twins.  In Before the Devil Knows You're Dead especially: until the end credits I genuinely wasn't sure which one I had been watching.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 08, 2019, 07:05:10 PM
Karaoke is pretty decent. Obviously it pales in comparison to The Singing Detective, which it has some similarities with, but still not bad. Cold Lazarus is unwatchable.

Thanks for that, will probablly give both a shot when I've cut down my current tv backlog.

Talulah, really!

God, I loved him as Mr Creosote in that Monty Python film.

garnish

Remember he was the bad guy in Bourne the Movie.

Keebleman

Has anyone seen Charlie Bubbles, his one directorial effort?  It was one of the very few modern (ie post 1955) films that Leslie Halliwell thought highly of.