Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:13:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Working holidays

Started by The Lurker, February 08, 2019, 04:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

I'm seriously considering going to Australia for a working holiday for a few months, it's something I've been planning on doing for a long time and I'll likely be paying my deposit ASAP

Anyone on here ever undertaken a working holiday? And in particular, done one in Australia? Would they recommend it? Is there anything I should be aware of that you don't see the agencies launching these trips talk about? Any reason I should definitely avoid it altogether?

Let me know, CaB. Let me know.

Buelligan

I know bugger-all about this but paying a deposit sounds all wrong to my untrained ear.

Bazooka

I think once you have paid the deposit to the Ugandan prince it will be fine. I'm guessing you done enough research to make your mind up, I've known people who have done it in Aus with no issues. Never done it myself, there are horror stories for all overseas things, Frankensteins etc

Just do it, enjoy those rays.

The Lurker

Quote from: Buelligan on February 08, 2019, 04:46:03 PM
I know bugger-all about this but paying a deposit sounds all wrong to my untrained ear.

It's a £100 deposit and you then pay for your flights/VISA etc through 10 week instalments

The Lurker

Quote from: Bazooka on February 08, 2019, 05:20:24 PM
I think once you have paid the deposit to the Ugandan prince it will be fine. I'm guessing you done enough research to make your mind up, I've known people who have done it in Aus with no issues. Never done it myself, there are horror stories for all overseas things, Frankensteins etc

Just do it, enjoy those rays.

Ta!

ToneLa

Tags: what's the deal with working holidays? You're not working on your... Oh wait

Buelligan

Quote from: The Lurker on February 08, 2019, 07:29:08 PM
It's a £100 deposit and you then pay for your flights/VISA etc through 10 week instalments

I'm a novice at this but have you considered saving for the flight or paying for it on VISA and paying it off in 10 week instalments, yourself, without paying the Ugandan Prince £100 or letting him book your flights?  What do you get for the £100?

Ferris

I met my wife when she was on a working holiday visa in the UK. I did 2 x 1yr working holidays in Canada straight after which I've spun into citizenship, a well-paid career and the next generation of British-Canadian Ferrises.

I think it is important for everyone to spend at least a year living outside their country of citizenship. It broadens horizons, creates empathy and understanding, and promotes problem solving. It's also fun to travel and makes you a more rounded individual, with friends to go visit and interesting anecdotes. Worst case - you do a boring office job, but you get to spend your evenings/weekends/vacation exploring a new place. Better than doing the equivalent in a place you already know.

Not sure why you're paying a deposit though. If you're going through a company, don't bother. These programs are usually free directly from the foreign government. I can give you some help if you need - I don't know the Australian system (Canada all the way my man) but I probably have a few useful pointers. Give it a go!

Tl;dr they're great.

Bazooka

Get a load of this travel agent↑ trying to force Canada on everyone, especially when Australia is the alternative. Joking , its harmless banter Martin etc.

I can only echo what Ferris said, if you have the opportunity to work/live in another country do it. I know even gap years(don't forget to braid your hair and wear those trousers etc) get some stick, but hey fuck it, if you can.

Buelligan

Yes, I apologise, I have done it myself but under my own steam - just paid for a ticket and scrabbled about when I got there (and that's how the other people I know did it too).  Obviously, taking a more organised approach and having at least some things nailed down in advance is a good idea and I think it's very wise to ask for advice before going ahead. 

I am a bit worried about the deposit thing though (as I've said).  If you're interested in Oz (brilliant fucking place), I'm sure you've already looked at their government's site with advice about stuff like the Harvest Trail.

The Lurker

Thanks all, some good stuff!

Lost Oliver

I've been thinking of doing a couple of weeks to a month working on an olive farm in ITALY. Anyone have any experience of that, or similar?

Ferris

If you're thinking about doing something, it means you have the opportunity to do it. Take it. That opportunity won't be there forever. I'd love to keep moving around, doing 4 or 5 years on a new continent but work/kids/ageing family mean it's not feasible for us to up-sticks to New Zealand/Johannesburg/Beirut for 5 years.

You'll always have a reason not to do it ("ooh it's scary! What will I do!" etc) but you'll regret not taking the chance.

Sorry, a few working holiday/social mobility visas were, looking back, the big pivot around which the rest of my life has revolved. I wouldn't change a day of it, but it means I'm a bit of a boring evangelist for these programs. If you change your mind and decide to (correctly) opt for Canada, I know a lot more and can help you out. If you stick with Oz (also very cool I'm sure), I can give a few general pointers on what I wish I knew when I moved to a new continent with no plans at all.

All the best.

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 09, 2019, 11:48:41 AM
I've been thinking of doing a couple of weeks to a month working on an olive farm in ITALY. Anyone have any experience of that, or similar?

See above.

bgmnts

I'm volunteering in a few countries for a few months starting March and i'm going to make the most of it as I know that'll be it.

Back to the dole/shitty admin jobs for the next 40 years.

shiftwork2

As a counterpoint to the seemingly endless Canada stuff we get to hear about on here, I lived in 'Canada' for 3 years and found it to be extraordinarily dull.  I felt alive on returning home in a way that I never felt when I lived there.

The entire country is ersatz.  'Pubs' with no atmosphere.  Cities with no centre.  A country with no culture of its own.  Apart from Timmies.  Which is now American.

Each city is hours and hours from any other city, and if you do try and drive out you pass endless strip malls with the same Hakim Opticals and H&R Blocks.  It's a suburban country of Broiler King gas barbecues.

There are pockets where you feel it's perhaps not Poor man's America.  Montreal is lively and stimulating and is great fun.  Vancouver at least gets you close to believing that Economist stuff about liveability, but it's still so...achingly dull.

I have great memories and good friends, and we have very likeable posters who seem to mention it in every single post, but...O Canada.

Small Man Big Horse

A friend of mine spent a year in Australia and apart from the murderous insects and animals, a surprising amount of racists and some really sexist men she enjoyed it a fair bit. Preferred the year she spent in New Zealand though, if only due to the lack of stalkers.

Ferris

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 09, 2019, 08:44:33 PM
As a counterpoint to the seemingly endless Canada stuff we get to hear about on here, I lived in 'Canada' for 3 years and found it to be extraordinarily dull.  I felt alive on returning home in a way that I never felt when I lived there.

The entire country is ersatz.  'Pubs' with no atmosphere.  Cities with no centre.  A country with no culture of its own.  Apart from Timmies.  Which is now American.

Each city is hours and hours from any other city, and if you do try and drive out you pass endless strip malls with the same Hakim Opticals and H&R Blocks.  It's a suburban country of Broiler King gas barbecues.

There are pockets where you feel it's perhaps not Poor man's America.  Montreal is lively and stimulating and is great fun.  Vancouver at least gets you close to believing that Economist stuff about liveability, but it's still so...achingly dull.

I have great memories and good friends, and we have very likeable posters who seem to mention it in every single post, but...O Canada.

I make a conscious effort not to bang on about the same themes over and over, but allowed myself here because it's a working holiday thread, and I technically did a 2 year working holiday in Canada before emigrating permanently. My experience here has been different to yours, but that's life innit.

shiftwork2

Aye, fair fucks.  I've known lots of content and happy ex-pats and well done to them for making the change.

Australia sounds awful.  Not sure why anyone would want to live there.