Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Stevie Nicks Fleetwood Mac song?

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, February 08, 2019, 10:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
At the moment it's Storms for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFL4GS0Sn7Q

But it changes regularly between this, Landslide, Sara and Beautiful Child.

Ferris

MidnightShambler

Probably Sara. But Seven Wonders is a banger too, although it reminds me of my ex so I never want to hear it again as long as I live.

DrGreggles

Tusk.

Don't give a shit that it's not one of hers, it's the best post-Green song. Not that keen on them generally.

Crabwalk

I agree that it's 'Storms'.

'Dreams' is fucking incredible though, despite its ubiquity.

Was great to hear Taylor Parkes rhapsodising over her in the recent Chart Music episode. At her best, she's uniquely sublime.

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 08, 2019, 11:43:25 PM

Was great to hear Taylor Parkes rhapsodising over her in the recent Chart Music episode. At her best, she's uniquely sublime.

Indeed. She has an amazing combination of having an incredible recognizable voice, songs that are drop dead gorgeous combined with beautiful lyrics than just cut to the quick.

wosl

Completely boring choice but Dreams is well nigh perfect from every angle.  The majestic Sara would come in easily at number two.  A ways below that is Gypsy (Buckingham's touches really make that one).  Really like Fireflies as well, which is one that gets less exposure.  Surprised to see the rather drab, dawdling Storms picking up votes (Gold Dust Woman is a far better slow-burner Nicks track, building as it does to that interplay between bereft wails and snarly guitar licks at the end).

grassbath

'Angel' is underrated, very funky. In honesty though, she's my least favourite of the three writers in the post-Green Mac; even the absolute greats like 'Dreams' and 'Sara' benefit enormously from Buckingham's arrangement wizardry IMO.

Nowhere Man

Blimey, interesting timing for this sort of thread considering:

Custard

Silver Springs is an amazing tune. Should've been on Rumours

Sara is a close second. Then Landslide. Then Rhiannon. For more recent stuff, I'd say Say You Will is really good

She's a great songwriter, that's fo sho. Her first two solo records are well worth checking out

Natnar

The problem i have with Stevie Nicks is that her solo output very rarely manages to match the standard of her Fleetwood Mac songs and i think that is mostly down to the lack of Lindsey Buckingham's involvement with her solo stuff. As for her best Mac songs i'd probably go for Landslide & Sara. I tend to find that Christine McVie is the one i gravitate more to when looking for my favourite Mac songs.

Sebastian Cobb

Outwith her Fleetwood Mac warbling McVie did a track with a right good break.

https://youtu.be/hOW8uyldFw4

wosl

Quote from: grassbath on February 09, 2019, 09:47:40 AM'Angel' is underrated, very funky. In honesty though, she's my least favourite of the three writers in the post-Green Mac; even the absolute greats like 'Dreams' and 'Sara' benefit enormously from Buckingham's arrangement wizardry IMO.

She's the best lyricist of the three (the most imaginative, and writerly in a good way, a lot of the time), but that smoky, slightly blaring voice of hers can quickly get fatiguing, so she often needs a good deal of help with arrangements and support playing - which she usually gets.  Certainly during the golden period of the California 'Mac, everyone, not just Buckingham (a speedy recovery, sir), seemed to be especially on their game for Nicks' songs (an example from the track you've picked out, Angel: John McVie's beautifully spry, quicksilver playing - 'busy' but tasteful, embellishing and reshaping the bass-line throughout, and helping to make the whole thing a more compelling listen).