Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Comedy About A Bank Robbery

Started by DrGreggles, February 08, 2019, 10:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Just seen it.
Laughed a lot. And I mean A LOT!
http://www.thecomedyaboutabankrobbery.com

It's by the Mischief Theatre Company (who did The Play That Goes Wrong) and it's on tour now.

Apologies for the lack of cynicism, but just wanted to recommend it.

neveragain

I loved their first TV special, which seemed impressively complex as well as hilarious, but the shine went off it with the following one (which featured David Suchet). It's probably much better on an actual stage obviously.

DrGreggles

Quote from: neveragain on February 08, 2019, 11:06:44 PM
I loved their first TV special, which seemed impressively complex as well as hilarious, but the shine went off it with the following one (which featured David Suchet). It's probably much better on an actual stage obviously.

Pretty good description of this, to be honest.

The Suchet-narrated one was Peter Pan Goes Wrong, which I thought was great. They did another one after it, which wasn't anywhere near as good.
The former was adapted from the stage show, but the latter was done just for TV. Make of that what you will.

notjosh

What are the heist elements of it like? Are there lots of exciting bits of abseiling down lift shafts and tunneling under vaults or is it not really about that?

DrGreggles

It's incidental to the show really, but some aspects of the heist are incredibly well presented.

Sebastian Cobb

Best comedy about a bank robbery is Dog Day Afternoon. Flawless.

Timothy

phantom_power

I enjoyed it but not as much as The Play That Goes Wrong. That original show is so intricate, clever and well made that it would be hard to match and I don't quite think they managed it

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on February 11, 2019, 08:44:13 AM
I enjoyed it but not as much as The Play That Goes Wrong. That original show is so intricate, clever and well made that it would be hard to match and I don't quite think they managed it

I actually thought it was better than TPTGW (which I thought was excellent), but the two aren't directly comparable anyway.
You're supposed to be laughing at the ineptitude of TPTGW, but you're supposed to laugh at TCAABR because of the jokes.

Panbaams

DrGreggles

Quote from: Panbaams on February 23, 2019, 10:06:58 AM
They've got a TV series: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/goes-wrong

I'm not sure what to make of that, given that I think the only thing they've done specifically for TV before didn't really work. If it's another stage adaptation, then great!

Incidentally I'm going to watch The Comedy About A Bank Robbery again this afternoon. It's on in Cambridge and there's a spare ticket - so why the hell not!?

DrGreggles

Saw their new play tonight: Groan Ups.

It was mostly shit.
Definitely not worth starting a new thread about it anyway.