Author Topic: Time Bandits TV show for Apple TV  (Read 502 times)

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
Time Bandits TV show for Apple TV
« on: February 09, 2019, 01:47:46 AM »
This was announced in July last year but I couldn't find a thread and it's news to me: https://deadline.com/2018/07/time-bandits-apple-tv-series-deal-terry-gilliam-anonymous-content-paramount-television-mrc-1202435077/

Limited Gilliam involvement by the sounds of it though. Reckon they'll actually have six dwarves and a kid as the stars?

In its latest series play, Apple is closing a deal for the rights to turn the beloved Terry Gilliam-directed fantasy film Time Bandits into a TV series. I’m told the series will be developed as a co-production between Anonymous Content, Paramount Television and Media Rights Capital. Gilliam will be a non-writing executive producer alongside Anonymous Content and MRC.

Released in 1980, Time Bandits is a dark, irreverent adventure about imagination, bravery and the nature of our dreams. It follows the time-traveling adventures of an 11-year-old history buff named Kevin who, one night, stumbles on six dwarfs who emerge from his closet. They are former workers of the Supreme Being who have stolen a map that charts all the holes in the space-time fabric, using it to hop from one historical era to the next in order to steal riches. Throughout the movie, they meet various historical and fictional characters, including Napoleon Bonaparte and Robin Hood, while the Supreme Being simultaneously tries to catch up to them and retrieve the map.

Time Bandits was made by Handmade Films, the film shingle that former Beatles guitarist George Harrison hatched with Denis O’Brien that began with Life of Brian, the 1979 comedy made by Gilliam and his Monty Python cohorts. While the company generated films like Mona Lisa and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, mounting debt that was guaranteed by the former Beatle led Harrison to exclaim My Sweet Lord, and he ended up suing O’Brien after the company dissolved. But Time Bandits, a quirky cult favorite, might never have gotten made without Handmade, so a TV series is a fitting nod to a bold little company’s legacy.

mothman

• I don't know why
Re: Time Bandits TV show for Apple TV
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 01:54:02 AM »
Well, Dinklage is going to be looking for work. Shoo-in as Randall. Unless they get Warwick Davies. Who else? Tony Cox from Bad Santa. Danny Woodbury from Seinfeld...

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 02:08:14 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but what's a 'shingle' in this context?

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:10:54 AM »
Christ knows. Some wanky inside speak exclusive to that site I think. The last paragraph is nigh incomprehensible.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 06:48:38 AM »
Christ knows. Some wanky inside speak exclusive to that site I think. The last paragraph is nigh incomprehensible.

Ha, fucking hell I thought I was alright at puzzles, but that paragraph is something else.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
A shingle is like a sign advertising a business. You might be a professional of some kind or a craftsman or retailer; when you moved into a town to set up your business, you’d hang your shingle outside, above the door, wherever. A more erudite writer might have called Handmade a marque, perhaps.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »
One meaning of shingle is a small sign hung in front of a business (presumably originally painted on a shingle, meaning a tile). There's an idiom, to hang out a shingle, meaning to set up some sort of professional undertaking, and shingle appears to have evolved to mean the undertaking itself, as well as the notional sign that is hung outside to identify it.

<edit> bugger, beaten to it...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:34:15 AM by olliebean »

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 11:23:23 AM »
Thanks, mothman and olliebean.

ToneLa

• I don't have to dip fishsticks in shit(literally)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:24:37 AM »
I can't read descriptions like "a quirky cult favorite" without detecting a wee bit of condescension

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 11:34:18 AM »
(Ollie explained it better)

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »
Not sure what story there is to tell with Time Bandits that wasn't covered in the original film.

St_Eddie

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 06:33:27 PM »
Not sure what story there is to tell with Time Bandits that wasn't covered in the original film.

I've got a horrible feeling that it's going to be a remake and no effort whatsoever will be put into keeping the TV series within the continuity of the film.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »
Is it Apple attempting to copy the success of the 12 Monkeys series?

St_Eddie

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 08:38:47 PM »
Is it Apple attempting to copy the success of the 12 Monkeys series?

There was a 12 Monkeys series?  Huh, I never knew.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »

I'd advise watching the film again instead.

St_Eddie

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 09:17:12 PM »
I'd advise watching the film again instead.

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks for the tip.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 11:26:15 PM »

Not just one series - it had four.

It wasn't that bad, BUT I've only seen half of the first series.  Almost everyone says that the first series got better after that, and then got REALLY good at the end, and then from the second series on turned into this amazing complex piece of work that, as the consensus has it, will go down as one of the greatest sci-fi TV shows of all time.

Only problem is only about three channels on the whole planet ever showed it.

St_Eddie

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 11:28:59 PM »

It wasn't that bad, BUT I've only seen half of the first series.  Almost everyone says that the first series got better after that, and then got REALLY good at the end, and then from the second series on turned into this amazing complex piece of work that, as the consensus has it, will go down as one of the greatest sci-fi TV shows of all time.

Well now I don't know what to think!

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »
Just do what I’d do, read the Wikipedia (yes, I know) episode/season synopses, and then get on with your life.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 08:11:24 AM »
No one is going to watch this because no one watches streaming series that aren't on Netflix or Hulu.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »

Always get Time Bandits mixed up with Ice Pirates

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »

To be fair, the first series wasn't bad. But I felt it got mired in its own complexity and bullshit mythology in the 2nd and 3rd, and I couldn't be arsed with the 4th. Felt to me like there was an Emperor's-New-Clothesy aspect to some of the praise it got.

At any rate, the film is definitely better.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
You could argue the basic idea might be well suited to a more conventional series, each episode traveling to a different time period attempting to steal stuff but probably ending up doing something more moral whilst evading evils attempts to steal the map.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »
No one is going to watch this because no one watches streaming series that aren't on Netflix or Hulu.

After it’s been cancelled after one half-season, I’m sure E4 will snap it up.