Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Presley's White Fence - I Have To Feed Larry's Hawk

Started by alan nagsworth, February 09, 2019, 10:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Already a strong contender for album title of the year, this.

Tim Presley, most well known as White Fence and now seemingly known as Tim Presley's White Fence, has just released his most polished - and, dare I say, most consistent - collection of lazy day psychedelia to date, and by gum, it's fucking great. All of it.

I really like White Fence, the two time collaborator with Ty Segall and (I think) partner of Cate Le Bon. His muddy, woozy lo-fi take on psych rock has always impressed me, and if you've not heard him then I would hazard a guess that if you're into Ariel Pink, The Brian Jonestown Massacre and Syd Barrett, there's something in here for you. "Is Growing Faith" is a fucking great album.

Anyway, this new one. The Ray Davies influence is extremely strong. 80% of the songs here are more stripped back but traditionally well-produced, and the refinement within really flexes just how much of a brilliant songwriter Presley is. It's dreamy and enchanting, and his faux-fragile vocals in the foreground sound better than ever. I can't get enough of this thing, it's the first release of 2019 that's really knocked me for six.

Oh, and the last two tracks for whatever reason are 8-minute repetitious minimalist electronic tunes in the vein of Steve Reich. Not quite sure why he did that but I'm into it. It's a vibe.

Here's songs:

Neighborhood Light

Lorelei

Or you can just listen to the whole thing here, and I recommend you do. "I Love You" , "I Can Dream You" and "Indisposed" are my current favourites.

ArtParrott

Really feeling this after only a couple of listens. I fell massively for White Fence back in 2014 when a friend played me Cyclops Reap and then For the Recently Found Innocent came along. Since then, with the two Drinks albums, the solo Tim Presley effort, the last Ty Segall collaboration and probably something else I'm missing, I was worried we weren't going to get a new White Fence record.

On a purely gossipy basis I would be interested to know if Tim and Cate are an item. I had thought she was with H Hawkline for a while but I think I just assumed that after I saw them standing next to each other at End of the Road a few years ago.

Crabwalk

Yeah, liking this new one. Presley also deserves enormous gratitude for discovering Jessica Pratt and releasing her first record. She might be due her own thread now, with the new album just out.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 11, 2019, 03:28:08 PM
Yeah, liking this new one. Presley also deserves enormous gratitude for discovering Jessica Pratt and releasing her first record. She might be due her own thread now, with her new album just out.

hell yeah dude

Quote from: ArtParrott on February 11, 2019, 02:54:04 PM
On a purely gossipy basis I would be interested to know if Tim and Cate are an item. I had thought she was with H Hawkline for a while but I think I just assumed that after I saw them standing next to each other at End of the Road a few years ago.

I only speculated this myself since she posts pics of him quite often on Instagram, and the way she was gushing about this new album on there had the air of lovey dovey affection.

Is the DRINKS project stuff any good?

sevendaughters

I liked the songs he's written for The Fall so I'll go in on this.

ArtParrott

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 11, 2019, 03:49:53 PM
Is the DRINKS project stuff any good?

I'm not keen, it falls short for me when compared to their solo stuff. This is a cracker though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVMqIn8VcNk

Janie Jones