Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Carpenter's That Thing You Do

Started by St_Eddie, February 09, 2019, 03:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 10, 2019, 02:38:06 PM
Only the 80s blob, not the shitty 50s one with its own theme tune chasing the oldest school kids you've ever seen.

Oh sure, the original Thing from Another World carrot monster versus the Fifties MixedUp Paedo blob can be its own film! Camp as Butlins.

Here's a thought...

Say Bennings banged back a load of LSD and was tripping balls when the Thing got him. Would Bennings Thing trip forever? After all, at the time of replacement or whatever you call it, LSD would be part of the Bennings organism...brain activity changes on it, so wouldn't it replicate what it found? It can replicate liquid!

Asking the crucial questions here.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What if the Thing things a Brundlefly? Or someone that had an Alien in them?

ToneLa

What if it Thinged a Mogwai?

Not the Scottish post rock band although that begs further, musical questions

What if the Thing things another Thing that doesn't think it's a Thing?

What if the Thing things the Thing from the Fantastic 4?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 10, 2019, 04:01:51 PM
What if the Thing things the Thing from the Fantastic 4?

Would make for a better film than any Fantastic 4 film to date...

Alien 3 is better than any Fantastic 4 film to date.

ToneLa

*waits for the obligatory post venerating a Fantastic Four fillum*

Might watch the Thing again tonight or tomorrow. I'm only into double digits, so plenty of life in it yet.

.. What if the Thing Thinged Stephen King's It?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: magval on February 09, 2019, 10:02:24 PM
Anyone know the origin of "they've all been..."?

This Morning with Richard and Not Judy.

magval

Particular episode Seb or is it shot through the bastard?

Mango Chimes

Quote from: magval on February 11, 2019, 06:58:05 PM
Particular episode Seb or is it shot through the bastard?

It's a running joke. "Owls, Rich?" "Yes! I like all types of owls, I'm not prejudiced. Brown owls, tawny owls, snowy owls... Of course, they're all snowy owls by the time I've finished with them."

NoSleep

In Macready's speech to tape he says he believes it rips through your clothes when it takes you over.

The Thing game on PS2 takes up the story after the events of the film, with a team coming to investigate what has happened. They come across Macready's tape as well as Child's body, but no Macready...

Final boss fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOudqhS0lSM

The creature forcing its way out of that guy's head knocks the other creature coming out of John Hurt's chest into a dropped hat.

St_Eddie

Quote from: NoSleep on February 11, 2019, 10:01:37 PM
In Macready's speech to tape he says he believes it rips through your clothes when it takes you over.

The Thing game on PS2 takes up the story after the events of the film, with a team coming to investigate what has happened. They come across Macready's tape as well as Child's body, but no Macready...

Final boss fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOudqhS0lSM

Terrible game.  I don't know why some people claim that it's not only good but canonical (just because John Carpenter said so.  As if he's not well known for saying any old shite for a pay cheque).  It's got some interesting ideas behind it, I'll say that much but the execution leaves a lot to be desired and the story, such as it is, is just plain stupid.

Back when he was actually good, Spoony made an excellent video, perfectly summarising why this game is a load of old gubbins.

ToneLa

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 11, 2019, 10:06:36 PM
The creature forcing its way out of that guy's head knocks the other creature coming out of John Hurt's chest into a dropped hat.

Canon!!

NoSleep

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2019, 11:15:55 PM
Terrible game.  I don't know why some people claim that it's not only good but canonical (just because John Carpenter said so.  As if he's not well known for saying any old shite for a pay cheque).  It's got some interesting ideas behind it, I'll say that much but the execution leaves a lot to be desired and the story, such as it is, is just plain stupid.

Back when he was actually good, Spoony made an excellent video, perfectly summarising why this game is a load of old gubbins.

I've played the game and it's good. Games aren't ever canonical.

St_Eddie

Quote from: NoSleep on February 12, 2019, 08:50:09 AM
I've played the game and it's good.

That's fair enough.  I mean everyone's entitled to their own opinion and if you enjoyed it, then that's al... that's all tha... that's all that matte.... no, I'm sorry but I just can't.  That game is horseshit!

Quote from: NoSleep on February 12, 2019, 08:50:09 AMGames aren't ever canonical.

Yep.  If I hear one more person claim that that last generation Ghostbusters game is canonical and "the true 3rd movie", I'm gonna go postal with a proton pack.  The gameplay was mediocre, the story was a nostalgia fest recreation of the first movie and Bill Murray phoned in his performance big time (the developers even confirmed that he couldn't be arsed to stick around for the full recording session, leaving them to rework his role in the game because he only recorded half of his portion of the script).  Canonical shanonical.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2019, 11:15:55 PM

The UK Garage/606 phone-in host Spoony?

St_Eddie

NoSleep

That spoony review is a load of point-missing whiny shite.

St_Eddie

Quote from: NoSleep on February 13, 2019, 08:09:57 AM
That spoony review is a load of point-missing whiny shite.

You're a load of point-missing whiny shite, mate.

Kryton

I was always under the belief that the Thing's were completely aware of the fact they weren't human anymore and would happily play each other off to keep a majority rule.

I.e - sacrificing one part of itself to keep the majority alive.

Though it does raise the (already mentioned) part of the transition stage, does a human know they are infected? Assuming they've been infected subtly rather than forcefully. A scary thought really.

--

Another theory is that the Thing only turned violent when the dogs attacked, as prior to that point it was quite happy to just sit around and  do nothing, which raises the point that the Thing is not fully destructive, just defensive. I like to believe the Dog Thing was more than happy to just survive for a bit. There's no real proof it assimilated anyone in the American camp prior to being discovered (?) -  But i've not watched it for a while, so I may be wrong.

But yes, it's the best horror movie ever made.

NoSleep

I was one of the, apparently not very many, people who went to the cinema to see it on its release. I'd seen Alien a couple of years before and knew that the original idea of Alien had emerged from the "pet" on board the ship in Dark Star (which I'd seen on TV and loved). And I knew that this was Carpenter's first film with a big budget. A truly amazing film and unbelievable that it apparently suffered at the box office because The Thing wasn't as cuddly as other aliens of the time; there was no doubt that I was going to see a horror film before I walked in. Didn't realise it was going to be the best horror film of all time.

kalowski

That seals it. I'm watching it again tonight.

NoSleep

Quote from: Kryton on February 13, 2019, 08:31:34 PM
Another theory is that the Thing only turned violent when the dogs attacked, as prior to that point it was quite happy to just sit around and  do nothing, which raises the point that the Thing is not fully destructive, just defensive. I like to believe the Dog Thing was more than happy to just survive for a bit. There's no real proof it assimilated anyone in the American camp prior to being discovered (?) -  But i've not watched it for a while, so I may be wrong.

As soon as the guy is out of sight it starts going alien and the other dogs sense something's seriously off immediately. It doesn't try to hide from the dogs like it does from the humans. But it may not have predicted the noisy panic of the dogs, either. I assume that somebody has already been infected before it's caged with the dogs (as they torch the cage and end it there). I suppose the thawing remains they recovered from the other base could be the cause of the later infection. Or both.

kalowski

Quote from: Kryton on February 13, 2019, 08:31:34 PM

But yes, it's the best horror movie ever made.
The Norwegians are chasing the dog in the opening scene (apart for the space ship arriving). It must have attacked them (maybe in self defence, but I prefer to think of it as an incredible, destructive machine)

Kryton

Quote from: NoSleep on February 13, 2019, 09:05:45 PM
As soon as the guy is out of sight it starts going alien and the other dogs sense something's seriously off immediately. It doesn't try to hide from the dogs like it does from the humans. But it may not have predicted the noisy panic of the dogs, either. I assume that somebody has already been infected before it's caged with the dogs (as they torch the cage and end it there). I suppose the thawing remains they recovered from the other base could be the cause of the later infection. Or both.

Just remembered the first thing(lol) the dog did when arriving was to lick someone's face right?

Also doesn't the doctor/surgeon guy chew on the pencil that he's been using to poke about inside the Thing they found at the Norwegian base?

NoSleep

Quote from: kalowski on February 13, 2019, 09:13:29 PM
The Norwegians are chasing the dog in the opening scene (apart for the space ship arriving). It must have attacked them (maybe in self defence, but I prefer to think of it as an incredible, destructive machine)

The events leading up to them chasing the dog in their helicopter must be in the prequel (which I've completely forgotten).

NoSleep

Quote from: Kryton on February 13, 2019, 09:47:58 PM
Also doesn't the doctor/surgeon guy chew on the pencil that he's been using to poke about inside the Thing they found at the Norwegian base?

You see the remains starting to ooze when everyone is out of the way. I don't think he sucked on the pencil, offhand. He gets chomped by the chest of a guy he is defibrillating later on.

kalowski

I still can't work out who was first infected. Possibly Norris, as the shadow has curly hair, I think. Perhaps Palmer.

kalowski

Palmer's blood!

Palmer's blood runs away. I don't think they burn it. Is forgotten about that.